Force Damage

zendada

I was looking over the abilities for the Marauder can see that some do weapon damage while others do kinetic damage. Is there information on which abilities use Melee Damage/Criticals and/or Force Damage/Criticals?

If an ability says "weapon damage" do we take that to mean "melee damage" and if it says "kinetic damage" take it to mean "force damage"?

Does kinetic = force and weapon = melee?

Also...

An ability like "Force Charge" says it strikes with the main hand weapon. The title uses the word "force" but presumably does "melee damage". Or are both invovled?

Smash says it does "kinetic damage" while the title of the ability does not use the word "force".

<---- Darth Confused

There is no such thing as force damage. Damage can be kinetic/energy(same thing, only difference in name) or internal/elemental(same deal). Damage types are related to damage reduction.

And there are melee/ranged attacks and force/tech attacks. Here general rule is that if skill makes you hit enemy with weapon, it's melee(or ranged). Examples of force attacks are Force Choke and Smash. This is related to defense chance.

Edited by Elear

Damage types are Kinetic/Energy and Internal/Elemental.

Kinetic/Energy are both subject to damage reduction from armor, Internal/Elemental are not.

Attack types are Ranged/Melee and Force/Tech.

Ranged/Melee are both subject to Defense and Shield/Absorption, Force/Tech are not.

Check an ability's tooltip to see which damage type it does. Check your ability screen (default "p") to see which attack type they are.

One of the reasons I started looking into this was seeing that Strength helps BOTH Melee Damage/Crits AND Force Damage/Crits while Willpower only helps Force Damage/Crits.

Looking at the Force tab on the character I can't see anywhere else Willpower helps. So Willpower is just a back-up stat to Strength that is only half as beneficial. Meaning our class can use Willpower buffs but should go for Strength buffs whenever possible.

Edited by zendada
Clarification.

One of the reasons I started looking into this was seeing that Strength helps BOTH Melee Damage/Crits AND Force Damage/Crits while Willpower only helps Force Damage/Crits.

Looking at the Force tab on the character I can't see anywhere else Willpower helps. So Willpower is just a back-up stat to Strength that is only half as beneficial. Meaning our class can use Willpower buffs but should go for Strength buffs whenever possible.

Even so, I'd still go for the willpower as well as strength/endurance/presence datacrons while wandering around out on the various planets.

Even so, I'd still go for the willpower as well as strength/endurance/presence datacrons while wandering around out on the various planets.

Oh yeah! I just like finding those so I don't care if its cunning or aim or fluff. I'll eat any flavor datacron!

I was looking over the abilities for the Marauder can see that some do weapon damage while others do kinetic damage. Is there information on which abilities use Melee Damage/Criticals and/or Force Damage/Criticals?

If an ability says "weapon damage" do we take that to mean "melee damage" and if it says "kinetic damage" take it to mean "force damage"?

Does kinetic = force and weapon = melee?

Also...

An ability like "Force Charge" says it strikes with the main hand weapon. The title uses the word "force" but presumably does "melee damage". Or are both invovled?

Smash says it does "kinetic damage" while the title of the ability does not use the word "force".

<---- Darth Confused

On the charge part, you use the force to propel you at the target...not specifically use the force to do damage.

The force fuels your charge but when you land its a saber attack you do.