The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Assault Spec Simple PvP Guide

I liked the video but honestly I played it without sound at work.. shhhh. Will edit this post this evening and give you my thoughts. Just wanted to put a post in here so you don't feel unappreciated. :)

Edit: OK. maybe tomorrow evening :/

Edited by ATango

Ok guide, good enough for vanguards who are just starting to toy with assault.

You make a number of mistakes of which I'll point out:

-you should always pair up IR with Reverse Power Cell.

-speaking of IR, there's no point in using it on an almost dead target, that's 3 ammo used for a fairly small amount of damage. If you really need a DoT then use Ion Pulse even if it has a chance of proccing IA, if the target is low hp it shouldn't be a problem.

-speaking of ammo, recharge and reload is your friend. You're gimping yourself severely by starting a fight with less then 8 ammo which you do a bunch of times. Also Recharge Cells + RPC should be kept pretty much on cooldown if you think that the fight you're currently in isn't about to end any time soon and thus should be included in your opener. I start out with RPC + IR -> AP -> Relic and Battle Focus which is a cd you'll get at lvl 50 -> HiB -> SS -> HiB (if free) -> Pulse spam -> HiB -> etc and when I drop below 5 - 6 ammo I use Recharge Cell which allows me to not waste a global on hammer shot while my cds are up

On the plus side I liked the presentation and you were easy to listen to so with a little more experience with this class and some better gameplay footage you could make a very nice guide once you hit level 50

Ok guide, good enough for vanguards who are just starting to toy with assault.

You make a number of mistakes of which I'll point out:

-you should always pair up IR with Reverse Power Cell.

-speaking of IR, there's no point in using it on an almost dead target, that's 3 ammo used for a fairly small amount of damage. If you really need a DoT then use Ion Pulse even if it has a chance of proccing IA, if the target is low hp it shouldn't be a problem.

-speaking of ammo, recharge and reload is your friend. You're gimping yourself severely by starting a fight with less then 8 ammo which you do a bunch of times. Also Recharge Cells + RPC should be kept pretty much on cooldown if you think that the fight you're currently in isn't about to end any time soon and thus should be included in your opener. I start out with RPC + IR -> AP -> Relic and Battle Focus which is a cd you'll get at lvl 50 -> HiB -> SS -> HiB (if free) -> Pulse spam -> HiB -> etc and when I drop below 5 - 6 ammo I use Recharge Cell which allows me to not waste a global on hammer shot while my cds are up

On the plus side I liked the presentation and you were easy to listen to so with a little more experience with this class and some better gameplay footage you could make a very nice guide once you hit level 50

Yea, I was going for the simple guide for beginners pretty much since I know I am not great with the class yet, but I feel like I get the gist down with the mechanics of the class even though I don't correctly implement the moves all the time. I will try to make another vid when I hit 50, but it's gonna be tough since I am on a dead server, no one is on EVER(Server: Infinity Gate). It is a sad thing indeed, but still improving thanx for the tips Suryi.

One other thing about ammo:

You wasted Recharge Cells. RC gives you 6 ammo, but it's over a period of 3 seconds. In that video, you got down to incredibly low ammo (1 or 2), then used RC. However, as your ammo was recharging, you used almost all of it up. This means that even after the recharge was over, you were still in the extremely slow ammo regen bracket. If you would have used two Hammer Shots right there, you'd be in the high regen bracket and getting ammo back much faster. Rather than using RC to get back to the high regen bracket, you used it to basically get three free skills. After those three Ion Pulses, you're back to spamming Hammer Shot.

One other thing about ammo:

You wasted Recharge Cells. RC gives you 6 ammo, but it's over a period of 3 seconds. In that video, you got down to incredibly low ammo (1 or 2), then used RC. However, as your ammo was recharging, you used almost all of it up. This means that even after the recharge was over, you were still in the extremely slow ammo regen bracket. If you would have used two Hammer Shots right there, you'd be in the high regen bracket and getting ammo back much faster. Rather than using RC to get back to the high regen bracket, you used it to basically get three free skills. After those three Ion Pulses, you're back to spamming Hammer Shot.

thats due to bad habit and needs to be worked on, for some perspective my main is a sentinel, and its been that way since launch, so I'm used to focus dumping but I know it doesn't work the same way for troopers. It's just bad habits I gotta work on.

thats due to bad habit and needs to be worked on, for some perspective my main is a sentinel, and its been that way since launch, so I'm used to focus dumping but I know it doesn't work the same way for troopers. It's just bad habits I gotta work on.

Funny story. I am the opposite way on the sentinel, I had the vanguard in battlemaster gear before I rolled him. I seem to want to maintain over half my focus bar at all times, and cringe every time I use merciless slash.

Funny story. I am the opposite way on the sentinel, I had the vanguard in battlemaster gear before I rolled him. I seem to want to maintain over half my focus bar at all times, and cringe every time I use merciless slash.

hahaha, thats an interesting perspective and it makes complete sense; I guess we just build our playstyle from our original toon and adapt from there.