Always a Plan

Magdalane

There was a thread on one of the other subforums about the character's and companion's kids. This arose from that discussion.

Corso rolled over in his sleep and reached for his wife. As tired as he was, it took him a few moments to swim up from slumber and realize he was alone in the bed. He sighed, knowing his captain had her share of sleep issues, but he’d thought he’d worn her out enough the evening before and that she’d be able to relax and rest. It wasn’t unusual for her to get up after only a few hours and roam the ship, doing little things that made her crew more comfortable or their jobs easier. Since they had a few days between jobs, they’d stayed in orbit around Coruscant and the crew was planetside. They’d had the whole ship to themselves for the past two days, and they’d taken advantage of the privacy. He lay there for a minute, trying to think of anything that might have bothered the captain enough to have her up and worrying. They’d had her favorite breakfast yesterday, well…brunch really since they’d woken early but not gotten out of bed for awhile. When they did get up, he made her pancakes, then they’d taken a long shower and just enjoyed each other’s company until dinner, then….Of course! Then, they’d gotten the holo from her sister, telling them that the captain would be an aunt soon! The girls had squealed and jumped around for a good five minutes, and they’d both signed off promising to speak again soon. He figured he’d better go see that everything was ok, and searched around in the semi-darkness for the clothes he’d hastily shed the evening before and walked out into the hall.

The Stardancer hummed softly around him, and he took a moment to adjust to the lighting change. He looked up the hallway and saw her, his captain, sitting at the bridge in her chair, knees in front of her and her head resting on them, looking out at the stars. The muted lighting gave her a luminous quality, and he smiled at her. He sometimes forgot how long her black hair was since it was most often in her signature pony tail, but he never forgot how tiny she really was. He reminded her often that she weighed less than his armor, but he loved that she fit against him as if she’d been made for that purpose.

He said her name softly, not sure if she’d fallen asleep again on the bridge or not. Miriah, the captain, HIS captain and wife. He might live to be 1000 years old and never tire of saying her name, especially since for a time he thought the only time he’d ever say it was in the whispered moans he’d let escape in his bunk in the crew quarters.

She heard him call to her and turned her silver blue eyes to him with a smile. She had thrown on a long sleeved nightshirt, since she was always cold, but her legs were bare. She kept the ship cool, since (as she explained to him) she could always pull on another shirt or grab a blanket, but Bow couldn’t take off his fur. He didn’t mind, since it had her snuggling up to him for warmth. He walked to her and scooping her up, sat down in her chair with her in his lap. She put her head against his bare chest, and he kissed the top of it.

“Sweetheart, I missed you. What’s on your mind that has you up?” he asked her.

“Nothing, really. I dreamed of my sisters and when we were young and moved to Tython for mom’s work,” she replied, a softness in her smile. “When Maura called yesterday, it made me remember all the times we played ‘house’ when we were kids. She was always the mommy. She loves kids and always has—she even worked in the Jedi temple with the children there. She always took the time to comfort the younger ones who’d been taken from their families for training. I remember her sewing stuffed animals for them to have in their rooms. She’s going to be great at motherhood.”

He thought for a moment he heard a wistfulness in her voice, but was afraid to say anything about it since she tended to tense up whenever he mentioned a family. They had recently bought an established estate on Dantooine, to use as a home base, with enough land to build a hangar for the ship and whatever else they wanted, really. He’d imagined being there when they started a family of their own, and she’d agreed it was a great place to raise kids, but “not yet” she stated.

He squeezed her softly and said, “Maura sure seemed happy. You did, too. You know, your family has made me feel so comfortable. I’m grateful they’ve let me be a part of them.”

“Are you kidding? My mom is grateful you’ve taken over her ‘wild child’!” she snorted. She reached up and stroked his cheek. “I am, too.”

He held her close, feeling her relax against him. He said, “I kinda figured maybe you were ready for something more in your life than working all the time. I know I didn’t fit into your long term plans at first, but I’m hoping you’ve changed your plan.”

She tilted her chin up to look at him and rolled her eyes. “You know I always have a plan, sugar.”

“Ok, now you’ve gotta spill, I gotta hear this!” he chuckled.

She spun around so that she faced him, straddling him. He hoped he could keep his thoughts on what she was saying, and not on how soft that shirt was and how it molded to her. But when she started telling him her plan, he was totally focused on her words.

“I want two, at least, because I know I loved growing up with my sisters.”

He looked at her, at first confused, then when he realized what she was saying, in wonder. She continued,

“I even have names picked out.”

“Really? You’ve been thinking about this longer than just tonight?” he asked.

She smiled sweetly, “I’ve been thinking about this since the first time you told me you loved me.”

He kissed her then, and for a few minutes that’s all they did, then he pulled back and said, “I’ve got to know the rest of the plan.”

“Well, once I’m pregnant I figure the ship will not be an ideal place to be, so we can go to the house. I don’t want to give up the ship altogether, but it’ll be a good time to do some upgrades and such. I know, I know, you don’t think I can give up being in the stars, and it will be an adjustment, but I’ll figure it out. I even have names picked out. A little boy will be Devin, for your dad..”

He kissed her then, feeling the emotion swell in him. He missed his mom and dad every day, and even more since he’d married Miriah. That she’d already picked his dad’s name, well, that was just that much sweeter for him.

“That’s so great, sweetheart, but what about your dad?”

She said, “if the Jedi council ever let Magdalane and Felix marry, she’s already claimed Dad’s name for her son, and that’s ok. Want to hear our daughter’s name?”

He smiled. He figured the best thing to do to keep her talking on this subject was to just let her talk. He could hardly believe his ears anyway.

“Her name will be Calypso,” she said with a smile.

“Calypso Riggs-Chantalle. I love it, and her, and you, and…” She cut him off with her mouth on his. She had tears in her eyes then, and since he hated seeing tears on her face, he just murmured to her, “shhh sweetheart, it’s all so wonderful it’s hard to take in.”

He slowly rubbed her back as she cried her “happy tears” against his chest. After awhile, he felt her totally relax and heard her breathing even out. He stood up slowly and carried his captain back to their bed, gently putting her down and climbing in after her. He fell asleep with his face buried in her soft hair, her body pulled against his, and dreamed of a little girl with caramel hair and silvery blue eyes.

Edited by Magdalane

• 3 weeks later...
Wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your relationships, and how glad I am you posted your link to your fanfic site, since I've been wondering if you continued with your Felix and Magdalene story! So delighted to see that you did, I know the Felix with fem consular story is pretty barebones and rushed in the game, but that just left me room to do a lot of my own imagining, so I didn't mind that much at all.....his backstory is fascinating to me. Loved to see how you fleshed their relationship out in your story.