Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Outraged! - chapter 2 spoilers right after Taris...

ejadavidson

Backtracking a little.

Hunter was definitely a construct, but so is Cipher Nine. I found it interesting that she seems to remove the disguise at the end in large part to attempt to talk to you as two real people, rather than as two actors in a play.

I think that was his intent there - she wanted to be known, and by the only person who mattered. He had already seen past Livia's masks, at the end of Chapter 2, when he (in my version of the story at least - some of the 'game' details from that scene are kind of fuzzy) listened to her have it out with Kothe before she killed him - she was completely unguarded there. And yet he still managed to lay her even more bare in that moment when everything came crashing down on her and he made her realize how she felt. I wonder if he was looking at her? If he saw? If, at the end, he knew? At that point, he had nothing left to give her but his honesty and his death, and he wouldn't have given either of those to anyone else. His honesty undid her, but the gift of his death (may have) saved her.

SO, so very angry she did not get to kiss Hunter goodbye.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Livia never denied her personhood, but when she dropped her family's names she utterly rejected her past - they didn't want her anymore, so she no longer even acknowledged their existence or her connection to it. When Vector asked her about her family and her past she refused to talk about it. (She would tell him about it, haltingly, much later, when they had been involved for a good while.) She had walls up, but she remained essentially who she was - her masks were more transient. She was easier to reach, I guess?

Iinnnnteresting. Wynston was a fresh immigrant, on good terms with his family, but they were dirt-poor nobodies. The Empire was his only hope for social and financial improvement. He lived to demonstrate to the systemically racist Empire that he could be worth something.

If he abandoned his service upon learning these secrets, what would that make him? A nobody. Some Chiss kid from a family one step up from dirt, a worthless alien, a murderer, a traitor - every unfair thing anybody had ever called him would be true. Cipher Nine was good for something. Plain Wynston was scum, just like everybody said.

Easy for Hunter to have his fun when a human can just hop to the next spaceport and start anew. Everyone saw the Chiss, knew him, marked him before he could say a word, and so he held on to his one chance for protection: being loyal and good enough for the Empire to accept him.

Talking to Hunter the person would mean backing down to Wynston the person. That was something he couldn't do without losing himself. His Cipher self, anyway, the self that was worth something. So no, Wynston wasn't willing to see the human being behind Hunter's construct. He hated the attempts at personal connection.

If Wynston had had access to the disguises, the information, the options the Cabal could've opened earlier...it might have been different. But he didn't. Even if he drops out of the system, Cipher Nine is too bound up with the Empire to abandon it entirely. Why did I have to be Imperial, Hunter? Because I had no other choice.

And I hadn't articulated this before. Makes me want to go replay with a different person - human, probably - to see how my headspace develops!

Wow. I find it so interesting - and a testament to the story writing here - that so many of us were able to have such varying experiences in our stories, all based on conversation choices, interpretations, back stories, etc.

I played a female agent who never flirted with Hunter. She enjoyed shooting him down and back talking to him in every way possible because she considered his behavior to be absolutely unforgivable. I played her as fiercely independent, someone who valued her mind and free will more than anything else. The agent's entire life and career is about mind games, control, and identity already. Hunter upped the ante and made it something terribly personal, and for my agent that was crossing a line that should never be crossed.

I didn't really get the love/hate relationship vibe that others did. For me it felt like Hunter was frighteningly obsessive and took pleasure in seeing her revile him.

I also imagined my agent as very resilient, very stubborn, and with a one track mind. She had a job to do, and gosh darn it NO ONE was going to get in her way. She hated what the Empire had done to her, but blamed it on the sith really, and forgave the Minister (after giving him a good tongue lashing).

Even if the Star Cabal had asked her to join them, I doubt she would have. She believes the Empire is still worth fighting for.

As for Watcher 2 making the agent go into that dasterdly situation on Corellia - I saw her more forgivingly.

To me Watcher 2 came across as someone desperate and afraid, and willing to resort to extreme measures because that was all that was left. Or perhaps, all she could think of. Her mind was compromised at that point. My agent hated the idea of being tortured, but she saw it a dirty job that someone had to do, so she would do it. I saw Watcher 2 as someone who had a bit of her humanity stolen from her as well (common theme here) due to her being a part of that eugenics program. I wonder if she even understood the emotional implications (and toll) of what she was asking. By the end, she seemed more human though, like she was trying to shed that past and be more real. My agent considered her a friend (as far as that was possible.)

Strange, that my Chiss male IA had an alright relationship with Watcher 2

Even during that whole plot line on Corellia, she even acknowledges the fact that it's a last ditch insane plan that she's cooked up but can't think of anything else that might work quickly enough. For me, my IA and Watcher 2 had more of a Bond-Moneypenny/M vibe to them, when she came back he seemed relieved that she was recovering and half the time would just ask how she was doing and expressing concern over her health. It seemed they had a more laid back relationship in that they'd joke about things and for him, he liked being able to do that because it seemed she appreciated his humour somewhat.

Hunter on the other hand

If I remember correctly, even though Thrass (my agent) wasn't totally happy with what Hunter did most of the time would try and speak to him has a person rather than some generic adversary. The dynamic the two of them had was interesting partly because Thrass enjoyed chasing and hunting Hunter down and just plain trying to unravel the whole Star Cabal mystery. I think in the end Thass did care about Hunter and he'd suspected for a long time that Hunter wasn't really what he appeared to be, so he was kind of glad that he turned out to be a she. Needless to say, I think Hunter's pretty much spoiled another long-term relationships for Thrass, he's definately damaged goods now.

Would Thrass have run off with Hunter? It's doubtful, primarily because he is loyal to the Chiss Ascendancy first and the Empire, second. Becoming the rogue agent has allowed him to better protect his people and the Empire and in the end I think that's pretty much he wants to do anyways.

The full batch of conversations my male, pro-Empire, anti-smarmy-jerk Agent had with Hunter: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDAA0F5674749422B

Some of these have to do with him but don't directly include him; I've written descriptions as appropriate.

I honestly do not know why

I went all "I'll get a medpac" at the end. *sigh* The things Hunter makes people do...

The full batch of conversations my male, pro-Empire, anti-smarmy-jerk Agent had with Hunter: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDAA0F5674749422B

Some of these have to do with him but don't directly include him; I've written descriptions as appropriate.

I honestly do not know why

I went all "I'll get a medpac" at the end. *sigh* The things Hunter makes people do...

heh, I did the same thing.

Then.. Thrass made out with her. I'll have to head canon this at some point.

Iinnnnteresting. Wynston was a fresh immigrant, on good terms with his family, but they were dirt-poor nobodies. The Empire was his only hope for social and financial improvement. He lived to demonstrate to the systemically racist Empire that he could be worth something.

If he abandoned his service upon learning these secrets, what would that make him? A nobody. Some Chiss kid from a family one step up from dirt, a worthless alien, a murderer, a traitor - every unfair thing anybody had ever called him would be true. Cipher Nine was good for something. Plain Wynston was scum, just like everybody said.

Easy for Hunter to have his fun when a human can just hop to the next spaceport and start anew. Everyone saw the Chiss, knew him, marked him before he could say a word, and so he held on to his one chance for protection: being loyal and good enough for the Empire to accept him.

Talking to Hunter the person would mean backing down to Wynston the person. That was something he couldn't do without losing himself. His Cipher self, anyway, the self that was worth something. So no, Wynston wasn't willing to see the human being behind Hunter's construct. He hated the attempts at personal connection.

If Wynston had had access to the disguises, the information, the options the Cabal could've opened earlier...it might have been different. But he didn't. Even if he drops out of the system, Cipher Nine is too bound up with the Empire to abandon it entirely. Why did I have to be Imperial, Hunter? Because I had no other choice.

Would Thrass have run off with Hunter? It's doubtful, primarily because he is loyal to the Chiss Ascendancy first and the Empire, second. Becoming the rogue agent has allowed him to better protect his people and the Empire and in the end I think that's pretty much he wants to do anyways.

Now see, that's interesting to me - the different ways people's loyalties lie here.

Livia worked for the Empire because that was what was arranged for her, and it was work she could enjoy and do well. It was a job, it was hers, and it fit her like it was made for her - her family may have discarded her, but they weren't going to waste her talents - in the Empire she would be a credit to the Ascendancy, and to them, perhaps even as much of one as she was a liability while she was at home. She thought it was hysterically funny to tell Keeper that she was doing it because she was a loyal patriot. She didn't care at all. And then Eradication day came. After that, she felt, she owed something to the people of the Empire. It gave her work meaning. But she would have done it anyway. She had done it anyway. Leaving the Empire to be with Hunter wouldn't even be abandoning what she felt was her duty - she could do it as a free agent almost as well as from within. It wouldn't have bothered her. Leaving her crew, leaving Vector - that is what would have haunted her.

Edited by Celacia

heh, I did the same thing.

Then.. Thrass made out with her. I'll have to head canon this at some point.

I am still so angry Livia couldn't. So incredibly angry. Not cool, writers. Not cool at all.

Which is precisley why I honestly expected something along the lines of:

Watcher2: "I was monitoring your life signs while we were out of contact... I'm so very disappointed I didn't get to hear the sweet sound of it flat-lining... uh? Oh... must be the meds, I mean I'm glad you're alive, and I'm glad you won."

At the beginning I really did like watcher 2. We had this whole dashing upstart field agent, and professional ranking veteran officer who flirt back and forth thing going. Looking back; I let her opinion shape a lot of my early decisions because Kol was seeking her favor.

Hah hah hah. If Watcher 2 had given that line...it would have been so perfect. I like her, genuinely like her (and like you, think that this shaped a lot of my decisions). But, seriously, her whole "Go and fight Jadus. BTW, I'm getting out of here. Hope you live, but if you don't, ciao." was so callous. As was handing you over to the Republic. As was sending you to Hunter (and torture.)

I'm secretly convinced with my male agent that everyone sort of wants him dead. (I'm playing him as a clueless fluffster, which is pretty hilarious.) I'm convinced that the Chiss sent him to the Empire because he started to annoy them, and now W2 is like, "Okay, that night was awesome. But you're needy, so I want you gone. Hopefully the SIS will take you. Or kill you. Whatever." I feel so bad for the guy.

And to re-open the Hunter thing:

I believe both characters; the Agent and Hunter are just actors. Like mentioned before; they are playing their parts, and following the script. However; I think the Agent was less of a flat actor, and more of a ... "That's a nice mask I can wear; but I'm still always going to try and stay me." where as I believe hunter fell into: "Its all I've ever been, so Hunter is me.".

Hunter is definitely unable to distance herself from her creation. It's creepy and kind of sad. I'm not sure that my agent was fully able to distance herself, either, to be fair. But at least there was *more* of a differentiation. I think at the end for female agent, I had my agent go for telling Hunter that she "can't understand how difficult things must have been, but you no longer have to pretend any more." To which Hunter answered, "But I still want to. I still look at you with his eyes. Hunter and Cipher Nine. They're the tough ones. They play the game right." It was so freaking creepy. Like, I almost got the feeling that she'd rather DIE than have to deal with the fact that she's not Hunter any more, and simultaneously would rather die than continue living as Hunter.

It's a complex and fascinating character. I'm honestly amazed that anyone managed to write someone so interesting and multifaceted, yet still have the character come off as "real".

I think Vector is supposed to be an anomaly - he is there to be the agent's anchor. He is there to give her something to hold on to so that she at least has a chance not to get sucked down into that vortex of madness, destruction, and death that is hungrily pulling at her for pretty much the entire plot line, from that meeting in Jadus' office right on through till the end. His tragedy (perhaps) is that it still wasn't quite enough.

I felt that way too. Some of it was how it was written, but I never got the feeling that my agent was all that into Vector. He was cute. She definitely wanted him in her bed. But he just wasn't enough. (At least that was the feeling I got.) It was honestly quite sad. Like, she has this awesome, sweet guy with her...but I was convinced that she desperately wanted to chase after Hunter, anyway. She wanted the self-destruction.

This really got to me.

Now that I look at it, of course Cipher Nine is a construct. I used to talk about that identity with Vector. But at the same time, coming in as a player, Cipher Nine is all I've ever known. I didn't live the backstory in my head, I just sketched it in after the fact. I don't know how to not be Cipher Nine, and so every attempt Hunter made to connect with me as a person was doomed to fall flat. I denied his personhood because I had always denied my own personhood. I think he understood that better than I did in the end. "It's gonna be hell without me"? Maybe, with nobody else to so much as try to reach me, maybe it will be.

(I suspect this "all I've ever known" feeling was not an accident. The Agent's writers, more than any class I've played, use elements from beyond the fourth wall to mess with the player's mind and enrich the story. It's one of the reasons I love it.)

I felt the same way, but in many ways, it made the ability to connect with Hunter all that much stronger at the bitter end. I felt like the character was actually talking *through* the fourth wall. Which gave the whole conversation a kind of immediacy that most of the story lacked. Like, here I'm playing a character in a video game...and so is Hunter. And how at the end, she's saying, "Please step back and listen to what I have to say."

And this forces me to wonder about any future Intelligence operations. The Minister was remarkable for protecting his people where he could. They had ugly jobs, but he went out of his way to see that his agents were all right. Watcher Two...doesn't. And her successors probably don't understand why anybody would. Will the Agent have to be the conscience for the whole operation?

Yeah, I worry about it too. I can't imagine that anyone's going to worry about the "average" person any more. Honestly, the best possible outcome may well be that the Jedi and Sith annihilate each other as the alternative is probably the Sith torturing just about everyone they cross with nothing to stand in the way. Under Minister, Intelligence functioned remarkably similarly to the Star Cabal. It was an agency that at least restrained the Sith somewhat.

I find your imagery delightful. That is all.

Oh, thank you. I have fun with it. I have an elaborate head canon of my characters being silly.

Crazy handsome face. I now recognize that model in all NPCs because my stomach seizes up a second before I can identify the problem with this stranger who hasn't done anything to offend me yet. It's like "you remind me of my ex" x50.

Yeah, I'm rolling a smuggler and she ended up in Hunter's outfit as it's a low level outfit and just...OMG. I actually sent clothing over from the Imperial side just so I didn't have to look at that.

I'm cleaning up and uploading my Agent's interactions with Hunter to Youtube and will post the playlist when I'm finished. I ran through as a neutral/LS, pro-Empire, male, Hunter-hating kind of guy.

Oooh, I can't wait to see. I always love more crazy videos. ;)

I felt that way too. Some of it was how it was written, but I never got the feeling that my agent was all that into Vector. He was cute. She definitely wanted him in her bed. But he just wasn't enough. (At least that was the feeling I got.) It was honestly quite sad. Like, she has this awesome, sweet guy with her...but I was convinced that she desperately wanted to chase after Hunter, anyway. She wanted the self-destruction.

Vector made a perfect brother for a LS but Empire-friendly Agent.

We had the same goals - the Empire's good, but through diplomacy and goodwill rather than force. I supported him through all his personal quests and he backed me up with quiet supportive commentary. Sometimes he even directly addressed the NPCs I was talking to to assure them of our goodwill.

It seems like I had to go through the darkest places alone, but Vector was always there to remind me what I needed to come back to. He always struck me as being too decent to get mixed up in the Agent's world, but I'm glad he was there.

Meanwhile, Kaliyo steadied me by being more than an armful by herself. Hard to get lost in any other destructive women - Watcher Two included - because Kaliyo kept me plenty busy.

Vector made a perfect brother for a LS but Empire-friendly Agent.

He does, but for the female agent, the flirts just felt...really off. Like, he'll start talking about something, then out of the blue she's like, "Hey, want to go to bed? *wink, wink*" and then he looks *really* uncomfortable and runs off.

I'm not sure whether it was intentionally done that way, or what. But it was hard for me to see them as much of a couple.

Not to mention that he completely ignores you cheating on him left and right...which also felt kind of peculiar. (Like, okay, I just made out with Saganu. Then consummated my marriage with my Voss husband. And you were there. And you just tuned out.)

It felt so horribly dysfunctional. Like my agent was trying to get a rise out of him and just couldn't. I like Vector, but I have a hard time believing that my agent did.

He does, but for the female agent, the flirts just felt...really off. Like, he'll start talking about something, then out of the blue she's like, "Hey, want to go to bed? *wink, wink*" and then he looks *really* uncomfortable and runs off.

I'm not sure whether it was intentionally done that way, or what. But it was hard for me to see them as much of a couple.

I like Vector, but I have a hard time believing that my agent did.

I saw that when I looked up the romance line on Youtube. The femAgent [Flirt]s are cringeworthy. She comes off as arrogant, demanding, manipulative, and pretty much like she's treating him as a one-night stand. Repeatedly. I don't think I'll even run the romance when I do a female Agent. It's a shame, because in the long run he's one of the most attractive love interests in the game on the strength of his character alone.

Blame the whole other problem for that...

no SGR, otherwise you probably could have.

Yeah. I know why it is that way, I just think that it was really poorly done to let to work that way: female agents can get that whole dynamic with him that we have been talking about, but male agents really don't so much, and yet they get to kiss her? Would have been better not to let either do it than to half-*** it like that.

Poor your agent's Vector.

Livia's romance with Vector unfolded so slowly - he didn't realize he might have feelings for her until Quesh, and he didn't admit to them until the end of Ch. 2, she didn't realize she had any for him (besides 'get in my bed, you sexy thing' and 'i am really glad you are my friend' at any rate) until after she went to the shrine on Voss. For them, her making out with Saganu wasn't cheating, because there wasn't anything there yet. Neither of them could love the other until they had overcome their personal issues. Hunter... she never realized until it was far, far too late. And even so, it completely eclipsed what she felt for Vector. He might as well have not been there with her at that moment. How could his solid, steady, beautifully kind, gentle and loving self compare with the siren's song of self-destruction that was Hunter? Poor Livia's Vector.

I saw that when I looked up the romance line on Youtube. The femAgent [Flirt]s are cringeworthy. She comes off as arrogant, demanding, manipulative, and pretty much like she's treating him as a one-night stand. Repeatedly. I don't think I'll even run the romance when I do a female Agent. It's a shame, because in the long run he's one of the most attractive love interests in the game on the strength of his character alone.

Yeah. they are terrible. But so is she in general? I managed to make it work for Livia, because of her personality, and her sort of emotional stuntedness - she'd never loved anyone before. She wants him in her bed, and he doesn't respond enough for her tastes to her early (relatively) subtle flirting, so she starts to get excessive and a little absurd just trying to get a reaction out of him. She's kind of an awful person, and an a*****e, but if Vector can see past that then good for both of them. Spending time with him (by the time they started Voss, I think) started to make her a nicer person - she didn't change what she did so much as how she did it. (It was interesting to me watching it happen, because the choices were always hers and not necessarily mine, and what she wanted to do started to change under his influence - she started to be a little kinder.)

Yeah. And the sad thing is, I felt like it was deliberate. Like the game wanted to make it clear to me that my agent did *not* like Vector, and that he was nothing more for her than a bed warmer. It was kind of painful to watch. Because he's so genuine and she's so...not. I honestly wish I hadn't romanced him as it just made me feel dirty watching them. Like, here was the one decent person in her life, and she was treating him like trash. (While flirting wildly with Kaliyo and Temple. Oh, Bioware, your weird cuts always make me feel like I'm having a same sex romance.) I'm really preferring the dynamic he has with m!agent as it feels less creepily manipulative.

Then again, it sort of fits into the whole story. My agent pretty clearly sleeps with just about anyone for intel. (And Kaliyo and Temple are also rather manipulative, as is Watcher Two.

And I fear what Hunter would do if she ever attempted to use her feminine wiles.

) That doesn't seem like the kind of behavior that leads to a stable relationship. In my mind, my agent is really too broken to have something safe and sane and normal. So she abuses the one poor guy who likes her. And he takes it, as no matter how awful she is, at least he likes her because she isn't totally creeped out by him being a Joiner. It's a horrible dynamic.

i'm glad youre getting a kick out of the story. you might like ch3 a tonnn!!!

remember that youre the shadow operative of the empire! an agent provocateur and saboteur. it is in the nature of the paranoid dark council to take precautions against weapons like you.

the jedi are just a buncha weiners so theyre not much better

By the way, I reviewed my Agent/Hunter gallery. Wynston had 31 conversational choice points while addressing Hunter, and fully nine of those had a "You're sick/arrogant/an idiot/insane." I took six of 'em. All in all, close to a third of your interactions can be phrased with absolute hate. (Another four can be straight-up death threats or attempts.)

I'm glad the writers gave me that many chances to express my disgust.

The thing I find most intriguing in the spoilers/discussion of Hunter is...

That all those who hate Hunter and all those who love Hunter continue to refer to the character with masculine pronouns, even though the reveal is that this is a woman who's been doing this to the Agent all this time.

It's as though that last piece of information remains carefully compartmentalized in the brain, like Lovecraft's merciful inability of the mind to correlate all its information.

I did NOT see this coming! So Banim, my loyal and patriotic agent, was rewarded for his daring deeds--which, I need not remind you, had other imperials running away for a clean pair of underwear--by setting him up to have his memory wiped! :eek: And the Republic are supposed to be the bad guys?!:mad:

I totally understand why Arden did what he did. He *had* to do that if he was any kind of SIS agent worth his pay. After all, he has to be suspicious of an Imperial Cipher agent, no less, falling into his lap ready to defect. I mean, come on... I'd be suspicous, too. A cipher agent is just too good of a prize. Arden didn't get where he is by being stupid and my agent realizes that. So what Arden did was expected. He took precautions. In Arden's shoes my agent would have done the same thing.

However, what the empire did to someone who was loyal, was patriot, was willing multiple times to lay his life on the line, THAT is completely inexcusable. Notice how I said *was* patriotic, *was* loyal. Who really is the enemy now?

My agent is now a man without a country, without friends except those on board his ship and some of those are highly suspect.

Kudos to the person who wrote this story. The best story hands down.

Really now, if he was actually loyal and patriotic he would have realized how dangerous he just became. He doesn't have to like it, mine certainly didn't and refused to abide by it, but he certainly had to understand why it happened. He also has to realize who his friends were at that moment. Specifically Keeper. Keeper, the guy who authorized it and made it happen, is absolutely his best friend. Keeper kept him alive. The option was become a puppet or be forced to edure an endless stream of Sith death squads that would eventually overpower and kill him.

The Sith are in charge. The Council are the undisputed masters of the Empire after the Emperor. He went up against a rebel Council member and a) defeated him in combat, b) forced him to give up his position through strength of will, c) joined him. All of these make you extremely dangerous to them and they can't have that.

Hate the Sith, that's reasonable, but don't turn your back on the Empire nor IIA.

That all those who hate Hunter and all those who love Hunter continue to refer to the character with masculine pronouns, even though the reveal is that this is a woman who's been doing this to the Agent all this time.

It's as though that last piece of information remains carefully compartmentalized in the brain, like Lovecraft's merciful inability of the mind to correlate all its information.

Not sure about the rest of the posters but...

I was intentionally using "he" for additional cover and spoiler prevention. Double-layer anti-spoiler protocols if you will. Notice I only ever said "big surprise" and used masculine pronouns; its such a note worthy little twist that I want no possibility of being responsible of spoiling it for future ciphers.

I find that kind of puzzling, too. Esp. as going through some of the videos with that knowledge I'm like, "Yeah, Hunter is pretty feminine, isn't she..."

That said, I tend to use both, just because some of the time it does feel like it's the way my character would have thought of things (if that makes any sense). Like, if I'm deliberately referring to the way my character would have thought at a singular point in time, my character probably thought of Hunter as a "he".

I've made this plenty obvious for myself: The woman Hunter, the human being who tried to reach me at the end, was completely rejected by my Agent. He called her a freak and put her down, or would have if she hadn't beaten him to the trigger; that's the extent of his relationship with the woman. The construct he faced and fought and hated was male, so Hunter will always be male in my mind unless I'm thinking specifically about the final scene.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.