The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Oil slick useless?

Danapa

So according to this guide http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/unders...-tanks-in-pvp/ the first roll its accuracy vs defense,and the second its crit vs shield since we are shield based tanks why do we have this talent? i have like 10% defense on my vanguard,i dont know what the impact of this skill really is on my dodges but why dont give us a skill that lows crit instead? or something usefull to our tank style? it is worth it combined with the defense relic? /discuss

I use it quite a bit.

Think of this situation, which happens to me alot. Im with my friend (a merc healer). Im a ST running 26/13/2 including oil slick. Were both valor 89 with mostly WH gear.

4 attack us and realize he is a healer so they focus him. Guard is already on obviously. When they swarm him, I use carbonize, oil slick, then aoe taunt.

20% of their attacks miss (18 seconds).

50% of their damage goes to me (and I have his damage shield on me).

30% damage reduction from taunt (6 seconds).

= Basically 100% damage reduction for 6 seconds. 70% damage reduction for the next 12. 50% until my taunt/slick refresh. Pick out the sentinal/mara for the single target taunt. With his damage shield/healing, and my damage reduction we are soooooo hard to kill. Its laughable. Its a wicked combination. Almost as wicked as a tankassin/operative healer.

Next scenario: A mara/sent jumps you. Since they need to hit you to build up rage (mostly), by making them miss more, they build rage slower = less abilities to use and decreased dps.

Have a ball carrier getting stun-locked and facerolled? Jump in, carbonize, oil slick, aoe taunt, guard him. Watch him survive long enough to pass for a score, pop sprint and score, get healed, etc.

Overall, its hard to weave into 1 v 1 fights. I use it more often during large scrums where i can hit 3-4 people with it, making it more effective. Against certain classes (mara/sent mostly) I make sure its on since they hit so hard.