AS and CM both seem fine to me (PVP)

KorroMan

Hey guys,

Been reading a lot of hate on these forums, which I guess is par for the course on game forums, but I'm evidently not on the same page on this one.

Now, granted, I do think Gunnery is pretty busted for PvP. Unavoidable and painful death upon being targeted is too high a price to pay for the extra damage.

That being said, I play both Assault Spec and Combat Medic in pvp, and they both seem fine to me.

As assault, it's pretty easy to do between 300-450k damage a game as assault spec, I can 1v1 most classes with a high degree of success (marauder/sentinel being the hard one), and the execute effect on the DOTs is becoming more and more effective as people start to stack hp in warzones.

I'm pretty new to CM, but even wearing BM/WH eliminator gear it seems fine. It's basically impossible for one person to kill me by themselves, and if a tank puts guard on, forget about it. Ammo management isn't an issue, the size of the heals seems ok, damage output in a pinch is good enough...

Listen. Do I think Commandos are the best class for ranged dps or healing? Not really, no. Are they totally hopeless and broken? I don't see it. Without ranked warzones, it's going to even more difficult to judge relative viability of various classes, but subjectively the class feels fine to me. I'm first or second in damage done on my team probably 80% of the time as AS (and no, I'm not just spamming IR on everyone in sight), and hit 300k healing every game as CM without even using the CM gear.

I think you guys need to manage your expectations. In MMOs, the flavor of the month is just that - the flavor of the month. If you play chase your tail rerolling every time they rebalance classes, you'll never have time to get geared and good by the time things change again.

Just my thoughts.

Well, I'm unsure of it, really.

No matter how I spec, soloing is easy until you get to an elite that requires interrupts. You do not have any way to keep them from casting that overkill attack.

They're also the mirror of Mercenaries, which has a base 100 resource system. No matter how you cut it, unless the system gets complex with lots of decimals or fractions, someone is going to be at a disadvantage.

And probably the big problem with Combat Medic/Bodyguard, is that it's the worst healing spec there is. For 1.2, the devs said they would balance out healing. They didn't do anything about how much healing a Sorceror can deal out, just how well they can manage their force. And their reduced cast on a big heal, that was annoying.

The commando/mercenary class, however, got a severe heal output nerf, increased costs on everything, reduced all their capabilities for resource restoration, and debuffed their buffs from SCC. The difference between the two nerfs, especially when sorceror was the better healer, was a huge source of controversy. Scoundrel/Operative DPS was nerfed again, but their healing was buffed to acceptable levels, and now makes them superior to the Commando.

Trying to put it basically, to me it's like this:

Post 1.2:

Sorcerors - Superior group healing, at cost of own health

Scoundrel - Sustained single healing, superior emergency healing

Mercenary - Emergency healing crashes resources, single target healing is average, group healing is terrible

Well, I'm unsure of it, really.

No matter how I spec, soloing is easy until you get to an elite that requires interrupts. You do not have any way to keep them from casting that overkill attack.

They're also the mirror of Mercenaries, which has a base 100 resource system. No matter how you cut it, unless the system gets complex with lots of decimals or fractions, someone is going to be at a disadvantage.

And probably the big problem with Combat Medic/Bodyguard, is that it's the worst healing spec there is. For 1.2, the devs said they would balance out healing. They didn't do anything about how much healing a Sorceror can deal out, just how well they can manage their force. And their reduced cast on a big heal, that was annoying.

The commando/mercenary class, however, got a severe heal output nerf, increased costs on everything, reduced all their capabilities for resource restoration, and debuffed their buffs from SCC. The difference between the two nerfs, especially when sorceror was the better healer, was a huge source of controversy. Scoundrel/Operative DPS was nerfed again, but their healing was buffed to acceptable levels, and now makes them superior to the Commando.

Trying to put it basically, to me it's like this:

Post 1.2:

Sorcerors - Superior group healing, at cost of own health

Scoundrel - Sustained single healing, superior emergency healing

Mercenary - Emergency healing crashes resources, single target healing is average, group healing is terrible

no offense but you havent rolled or been informed on the other classes well.

1. sages/sorc have the highest force management or resource management out of all they dont really have something they can gain force back without losing something. they have to do a channel to proc an effect so that when noble sacrifice is used there force doesnt slow down. thats 3 seconds plus force you need to waist to lose 14% hp and gain only a fraction of what you spent. dont get me wrong there great aoe healers but there nerf did lower there heal output unless the person is still spam healing but would be out of force the time they even get a ops boss to 60% hp.

2. i agree here except the burst or what you call superior emergency healing they arent good burst healers due to needing upper hand a lot to not waiste energy and during burst heals which is halfway throughout the fight a scoundrel doesnt have enough time to use a low level heal as ds or slow release med pac unless they want a tank to die.

3.merc/commandos did get nerfed but my single target healing is great not amazing how it used to be but still doing good numbers plus my burst heal is good too, you just have to manage your resources wisely as in place hs between adv. probe and med probe during none spike damages and use bi when you can instead of hs and during spike damages throw on scc use kolto bomb for that 5% damage reduction then spam heal adv probe and med probe until your out of ammo then use recharge and by that time you should be out of the spike damage and wont have another one for another 1 minute and 30 seconds or less and even then by that time you can usee scc and use up your ammo and have recharge back. trust me i can heal 600k+ in 5 minutes for operations bosses and usually 450k+.

You obviously don't know the sawbones tree very well. THey ARE superior in emergency healing. Emergenct emergencies is a buff that makes it so emergency medpack restores an upper hand if the target is below 30% health. So if you have at least 1 upperhand, you can spam emergency medpack on a target that is below 30% health, with out using ANY energy, and losing any upperhands.

Oh and it also increases upperhand pool to 3.

You obviously don't know the sawbones tree very well. THey ARE superior in emergency healing. Emergenct emergencies is a buff that makes it so emergency medpack restores an upper hand if the target is below 30% health. So if you have at least 1 upperhand, you can spam emergency medpack on a target that is below 30% health, with out using ANY energy, and losing any upperhands.

Oh and it also increases upperhand pool to 3.

thats if there BELOW 30% see there? as a commando i can still do an emergency healing and heal the tank full up from below 30% or above by just instead of using hammer shot in my rotation us bacta infusion. right after advanced medical probe activates or medical probe just press bacta infusion and in 1.2 seconds or 1.8 seconds you heal

either

advanced medical probe+bacta infusion=4k (no crit)-9.5k (both crit) in 1.2 or 1.3 seconds

medical probe+ bacta infusion= 4.6k (no crit)- 11k (both crit) in 1.7 or 1.8

thats for "emergency healing" any smart commando wont use bacta infusion unless they see there tank drop a huge amount of hp and even if its a 19 second cooldown a spike damage wont happen in less than 18 seconds. if your target is above 30% say 32% you would need energy or upperhand and im sure the tank would die if he took another hit so over all commandos still can do emergency healing better without wasting as much resources as a sawbone only 2 ammo for that first heal and if we do need to heal more than 9k which commandos usually always crit then we pop another heal and would be fine. sawbones arent surperior in burst healing they are restricted unless the target is under 30% hp if they dont want to waiste resources, while a commando can burst heal if the target is from .9%-100% hp doesnt matter but of course if the target is 65% or below thats when you need to do a small burst heal not 30%.

Edited by rjavig

We were never FOTM...that was sage/sorc. Assault is fine in warzones and so is gunnery....I feel more effective in team play as gunnery but that is because I can remove assaults dots pretty much making them ineffective. Against classes that cannot cleanse I am sure they will do fine. I have no issues getting 300-400k damage as gunnery...or as a jedi...or as pretty much any dps class right now. DPS is currently easy mode and 300k is the standard and nothing to be impressed with. The issue for me is when CM is half as effective as it was pre 1.2 the nerf went way beyond where is should have been for PVP. I guess for someone new to CM they would seem fine...since you have nothing to compare to, but for someone that played well pre-patch and was effective the change post make the class a friggin joke.

We were never FOTM...that was sage/sorc. Assault is fine in warzones and so is gunnery....I feel more effective in team play as gunnery but that is because I can remove assaults dots pretty much making them ineffective. Against classes that cannot cleanse I am sure they will do fine. I have no issues getting 300-400k damage as gunnery...or as a jedi...or as pretty much any dps class right now. DPS is currently easy mode and 300k is the standard and nothing to be impressed with. The issue for me is when CM is half as effective as it was pre 1.2 the nerf went way beyond where is should have been for PVP. I guess for someone new to CM they would seem fine...since you have nothing to compare to, but for someone that played well pre-patch and was effective the change post make the class a friggin joke.

you know what... for pvp your definitley right compared to pre 1.2 and post 1.2 with the ammo management in pvp its too much. the class was a bit op pre 1.2 but they nerfed us way to hard with the damage reduction, ammo incerase for healing. in pve my commando still does fine but i stopped pvping with my commando because its pvp with it is not fun