PvP Vs. PVE Why?

Soljin

That is just your opinion.

Well yeah. My post makes that perfectly clear.

could you really accept a sith warrior and a jedi knight fighting side-by-side in a FP or OP?

Without a doubt yes. If those people want to work together they should be able to.

Edited by Sotof

This question has bugged me forever... Why is it that the PvE and PvP communities always divide and pit themselves against eachother? I would like to hear any true reasons, rather then angst, or I dont like one or the other so I chose a side!

Everyone's interpretations and experiences are different. You could even add a RP contingent in there that wants the PvE *AND* PvP people to leave them alone. All three can peaceably "co-exist" on seperate servers. There are some people who just aren't happy unless they're angry with someone. For the rest of us, it's usually cool if someone wants to go do something other than what we're doing somewhere else... It's all good.

Paige

PVPers like to do both PVP and PVE, PVErs cant PVP. So theres the problem. Elder Scroll Online is fixing this in very interesting way.

Thats a pretty narrow and oblivious viewpoint.

Its been my experience through WoW and SWTOR that the best PVPers (and best players period) are usually in hardcore raiding guilds.

Edited by pureeffinmetal

Soljin;4367551]This question has bugged me forever... Why is it that the PvE and PvP communities always divide and pit themselves against eachother? I would like to hear any true reasons, rather then angst, or I dont like one or the other so I chose a side!

There really doesn't have to be a dividie (except for maybe the gear and I let someone else handle that). Everyone has a style of play which may be totally different than someone elses.

One player may love pvp and someone else hates it . Neither side is wrong just different.

Some pvp players can't or will not understand that some people just don't like pvp so they resort to name calling, cowards, etc .

Some pve players do the same. Then throw in a rp person and then we get oh how can you enjoy roleplaying.

If people would just learn to let others have their fun without all the name calling, etc then people might actually get along.

You can have them all co-exist peacefully on their servers when everyone can learn just because someone is doing somethig different than them does not effect them. Play how you want and enjoy what you like.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

There are two different gaming philosophies at work, and I personally don't believe the two should be mixed in one game.

PVP= anti-social (not in a bad way) where you try to dominate one or more players

PVE = social where you try to enhance the play of others to achieve an end goal.

The fact that people want a balanced PVP class structure, but different classes and talents is absurd to me. The perfect PVP world would be one where every one starts like a clean sheet of paper and can select any ability from rank one at level one and rank 2 at level 2 and so on. All PVP leveling is attained by actual PVP time. Then if one PVP build is stronger than another there is no one to blame but the player for his ability builds.

PVE should have a set of rules for classes that do not change so that developers can tune content against those rules for the best game play.

There are two different gaming philosophies at work, and I personally don't believe the two should be mixed in one game.

PVP= anti-social (not in a bad way) where you try to dominate one or more players

PVE = social where you try to enhance the play of others to achieve an end goal.

The fact that people want a balanced PVP class structure, but different classes and talents is absurd to me. The perfect PVP world would be one where every one starts like a clean sheet of paper and can select any ability from rank one at level one and rank 2 at level 2 and so on. All PVP leveling is attained by actual PVP time. Then if one PVP build is stronger than another there is no one to blame but the player for his ability builds.

PVE should have a set of rules for classes that do not change so that developers can tune content against those rules for the best game play.

While I like your idea for PvP and I agree that the expectation of class balance is absurd, expecting the typical player - who does both PvE and PvP - to keep track of two sets of abilities is expecting too much. Further having a level 50 PvE be a level 10 PvP would be even harder to keep track of.

This means that PvE and PvP need to be separate entities/games entirely. The primary flaw in that is then having opposing sides as playable characters in a single game becomes a little ridiculous as well; you might as well make everyone play republic characters (they are supposed to be the "good guys" after all) and make all Imperials and Sith NPCs.

But where's the fun in that? One of the biggest draws to WoW, SWTOR, and other MMOs (along with all the RTS games out there too) is that you get to play the "bad guy." So, you allow players to play the bad guys. You have two warring factions and never the twain shall meet? Where's the fun in that (as proven by all the complaints about lack of WPvP in this game)? So you are right back where we started - PvP in a game that is primarily intended as a PvE game.

It is player expectations that need to change, not the system. But BioWare has no control over player expectations.