The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Tanking Stats

Cyyrr

This may have been covered already in this forum but I haven't been able to find it. I am looking for a direct answer as I see a lot of theory crafting and have been unable to decipher it definitively. I know powertech's don't benefit as much from defense.

Is there a soft cap at 50% shield chance and 50% absorption? Is there diminishing returns after 50%?

Which is the better stat to go after Shield Chance or absorption?

My tank currently has:

52.4% dmg reduction

12.6% defense

33.7% shield chance and

42% Absorbtion

I know I need much more shield rating.

Can anyone give me some definitive answers for PT's? Thanks!

This may have been covered already in this forum but I haven't been able to find it. I am looking for a direct answer as I see a lot of theory crafting and have been unable to decipher it definitively. I know powertech's don't benefit as much from defense.

Is there a soft cap at 50% shield chance and 50% absorption? Is there diminishing returns after 50%?

Which is the better stat to go after Shield Chance or absorption?

My tank currently has:

52.4% dmg reduction

12.6% defense

33.7% shield chance and

42% Absorbtion

I know I need much more shield rating.

Can anyone give me some definitive answers for PT's? Thanks![/QUOte]

since in 1.2 they pretty much made it so you have to use flame burst in your rotation. drop some of the absorption and work on shield chance. you will get almost 10 % absorption from that in your rotation.

and yes it is diminishing returns past 50% but if you get it to 55 or 60% its still going to be nice.

you are correct in your assumption as well that defense isn't that useful.

one of the biggest problems in the shield tech side is any upper gear you get has totally the wrong stats on it ( def, acc, ect ect) your going to find you will need to mod out most of your gear to shield, absorption to get it the way you want

Edited by kelarn

Diminishing returns should really be called "equalized returns" especially when referring to tank stats.

Looking at your stats, you either have some pretty low level gear or a bunch of accuracy. You'll want to get rid of all of your accuracy. It is next to useless for PT tanking.

Focus on getting more absorb and avoiding accuracy, if you do that you'll get a bunch of shield rating along the way as well.

Oh, and the hard cap for shield and absorb is 50% FROM RATING, or 82% total absorb(with heat screen), 76% total shield. Only when you start getting 30% from rating do the DRs start to hurt, and by then, each % increase is significantly more valuable than the last, making the stat still valuable, especially as a high shield % makes absorb more valuable, and vice versa.

Defense hard cap is 30% from rating, and we only get 7% on top of that as ptechs ( that's with the 2% set bonus), so having a decent defense isnt a bad thing, but if you want to build a tank around defense, you'll want to go roll a sin or jugg.

Very cool.... thanks for the input!

I have full Columi and two Rakata pieces. I do have alot of accuracy. I have a few lower lvl mods that I can put in to itemize better. Kinda stinks that you have to do that and the tier gear is itemized poorly.

My main is a sorc healer, but I want to be an effective tank during alt runs and as substitute tank in our main group.

Edited by Cyyrr

Yep, enhancements from columi helm/gloves(shield/defense), or from the Ilum group daily (shield/absorb, but lower #) are the way to go until you can get campaign/black hole gear or spend some money on the good enhancements off the GTN.

Accuracy should always be avoided. In your comparions, don't even consider it, it might as well be a non-stat for us. Maybe a touch above alacrity.