The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Armor RATING affects mitigation? Show me

Chazcon

I was grouped up with a guy who I noticed was mitigating 'spell" type attacks much better than me. I can tank all day against non-elemental dmg but my Achilles heel is elemental dmg which cuts through a tank's defenses. He said that Armor Rating of your gear has a mystical property that reduces elemental damage, or all damage. I say all the math has been found, which i am well aware of, that shows that Armor Rating affects the armor level of that piece of gear, the total sum of all your gear's armor level affects damage reduction. There is no 'additional effect' that takes into account Armor rating besides how it increases your total armor level and damage reduction.

In other words, using hypothetical examples, a piece of armor that has an armor level of 750 and an armor rating is 98 is EXACTLY equal to a piece of armor that has an armor level of 750 and an armor rating of 135.

I know all the problems with combat mechanics in this game especially in how they relate to tanks (and i still play a tank lol) and have done all the number crunching, I have not read or found any other effect from Armor Rating that provides additional mitigation.

Any comments?

Armor rating simply converts into how much armor the piece has. It's a number you can quickly look at to see if it will provide more or less armor compared to another armoring of the same quality. The only reason it is a different number from the actual armor value it gives on the piece is that certain pieces of armor (chest) constitute a bigger percentage of your armor than others (like bracers), so armorings have their own rating values so you can compare them correctly without being confused by them giving different amounts of armor in different pieces of armor. Edited by Arzoo

to assist in your questions...

Armour rating vs number: The rating is the "level" on a specific armouring mod within the item (or in the case of non-modable, the same stat for green/blue/purple) ...this is a base stat that is affected by 2 different things... what slot the piece fits in (chest, head and legs have higher values than belt, bracer, feet and hands) and if the piece is light, medium or heavy. For the record, as a fanguard, you want heavy. EVERY time.

as to mitigation, you can see exact numbers on mitigation on your character sheet. Mouse over the damage-resistance listed on the right, and a full breakdown is shown. IF a person has additional buffs from consular based classes, or from legacy unlocks, they can get up to 19% resistance to elemental/internal... as opposed to yours, which may well be 0% at this time.

Also, shield chance, and shield absorb play a factor in mitigating elemental damage as well. Higher those are, better chance of having it proc, and be useful when it does.

Hope that helps

Also, shield chance, and shield absorb play a factor in mitigating elemental damage as well. Higher those are, better chance of having it proc, and be useful when it does.

Hope that helps

Afaik all internal/elemental damage comes from either force or tech attacks, which makes it immune to shielding and dodging/deflecting

Afaik all internal/elemental damage comes from either force or tech attacks, which makes it immune to shielding and dodging/deflecting

Not entirely true. There are weapon damage attacks in the game that apply an effect dealing elemental/internal damage if they hit, like Overload Saber, Shadow Technique, or Speed Shot + Blazing Speed. If you can avoid the weapon damage portion of the attack, you avoid the attached elemental/internal effect. I only know for sure these exist with player abilities, but I'd be shocked if there weren't NPCs with similar skills.