Recording Help(?)

Kayse

Hello everyone. I have a lot of friends over at my realm, Shien, and others on the forums who have been requesting me to produce some commentary guides/videos to help in pvp and I was wondering if anyone could help me with compressing my videos. I will admit i am completely noob to making videos but I would love to start. I've been using fraps and ofc it makes my 15 min vid into 15GB's and i have compressed it down to 2GB but that still seems very harsh to upload, a whole days worth. I have compressed with winwar as well and reduced it down to 1.5GB but that's still really steep. Any professional help or guides that someone can share with me would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

- Bebop/G

The main thing that determines size of video files is resolution and frame rate. If you reduce the resolution to say 640x480, it will be blurrier, but you'll still be able to tell what's going on.

The codec (XviD, H.264, etc) also makes some difference, but all the modern ones are basically the same nowadays.

Another thing to try is different bitrates (7 Mbps, etc. etc.). For instance 8 Mbps (megabits per second) would be 1 megabyte per second, so 60 MB a minute, etc. Most encoders let you force a particular bitrate, then if you think it looks bad you can try reducing resolution, framerate, etc.

Another thing to consider is the audio, it can add up and usually just 2 channel 128kbps MP3 is fine.

If your encoding program doesn't offer many options you can try Handbrake, it is a bit complicated but I've found it to offer the best mix of speed, options, and usability (and there are plenty of FAQ websites for Handbrake).. and it's free