On the trail... for fun

Azrienov

Mercs are in a slump right now. Bioware's looking for a way to make us what they wants us to be. That's all good and dandy, I guess. But, as it stands, I'm not enjoying merc like I was before. Pre-1.2 and the expertise changes(which could very well be the source of many a woe) changes pyro was amazingly fun. It was mobile and under used on my server(Drooga's Pleasure Barge). I had a ball running around and kiting sentinel/marauders to death. healers suffered badly under a well stacked time stamp, and I wasn't some unkillable target that laughed his way through enemy after enemy.

After 1.2, Arsenal was actually fun. HSM's laid down the killing blow on targets, and the channel heavy spec required good positioning, and intelligent control of my CC abilities. Critting a target for 6k because they ignored you was satisfying, but the threat of melee classes getting to you was a genuine danger. It felt pretty balanced for me. I could inflict horrendous amounts of damage, but I was screwed seven ways south if a smart melee player attacked and countered me. Then more changes came, and now mercs feel flat, and unrefined. The irony is that the initial changes were that development didn't like the fact that they had based the arsenal spec around the Tracer Missile attack exclusively. The only attack that procured every enhancement was tracer missile, and the enhancements were stacking. Meaning? Spam more tracer missile. Obviously, that was a design flaw that they screwed the pooch on.

Now, with little information to go on, it feels like its time to face facts. Mercenary AC is in limbo. I honestly expect a heavy rebuild to reconcile it's role into both the PvE and PvP worlds. That in itself will take forever. So, I'm going to do what any self respecting player in the world would do.

drum roll

Go play Diablo III, keep an eye out for changes I think might draw me back, and cap off my play time for a bit. After a nice rest, the experience might be fresh, and I can deliver my personal displeasure with Bioware by not playing for their service. All in all, a small step towards having more fun without disrupting anyone else's.