BH Raiding Healer LF Gear Advice (Mods etc)

Harbag

I am in a Raiding Guild and we are currently clearing EC Denova HM as well as raiding old content we have already cleared such as EV and KP, which is what I mainly do with this character. I PVP on my other one, so I am looking for some advice and help in deciding which gear to purchase and go with for top end raiding on this Mercenary Healer. I have saved up some Black Hole Commendations and got my first piece of Campaign Gear a couple of days ago and haven't turned them in yet as Im not 100% sure on what my complete set should be at the moment with what I have and can get, and then what I should work towards, ie the End Suit. I kinda know the basics but I would really appreciate any help and advice any of you may have, things like choosing and prioritizing the exact stats on each item and augment such as Aim, Surge, Power, Crit etc. It looks like alot of the Black Hole gear is an upgrade, well the Armoring and Enhancements at least, the Mods Im not sure. They are lower in Aim but give slightly more secondary stats. And I have seen people using Columi Mods for now instead of the 25 Ones until they can get them.

Below is my current gear, I am all Rakata at the moment except for Columi Main Hand. I have Commendations to spend and alot of different gear with mods and that in them.

My Current Spec

I am Biochem and so use Biochem Medpacks and Stims also. And I find myself using Power Adrenals at the moment, at intense healing moments. My Power seems low at the moment at 171 and my Crit maybe a little too high at 397 which is why Im using the Power Relic and Adrenals. Should I up my power and lower my crit so they are more equal ? Here is my current gear...

STATS (Unbuffed)

1854 Aim

1676 End

171 Power

398 Crit Rating

207 Surge

[Rakata Combat Medic's Helmet]

[Electrum Onslaught Chestguard [Augmented]] [Augment 18 Aim 12 End]

[Rakata Combat Medic's Gauntlets]

[Rakata Combat Medic's Belt [Augmented]] [Augment 18 Aim 12 End]

[Rakata Combat Medic's Legplates]

[Rakata Combat Medic's Boots]

[Rakata Combat Medic's Bracers [Augmented]]

[Elegant Modified Blaster Pistol [Augmented]] [Augment 18 Aim 12 End]

[Elegant Modified Blaster Pistol [Augmented] [Augment 18 Aim 12 End]

[Matrix Cube M7-B3]

[Campaign Relic of Boundless Ages]

[Rakata Combat Medic's System]

[Rakata Combat Medic's System]

[Black Hole Boltblaster's MK-1 Device]

(Only the Belt, Bracers, Chest and Pistols are augmented, 1 or 2 items may show an empty augment on Torhead but thats not what I have)

165 Black Hole Commendations

[Unassembled Campaign Greaves]

[Black Hole Med-tech's MK-3 Gauntlets]

Various Unassembled and Assembled Rakata and Colomi Gear (Mainly BH but some other classes too)

Lots of Colomi and Tionese Commendations

Thanks for anyone that could offer me any help or advice, it is greatly appreciated :)

My advice is to prioritise stats in this order... but please think hard if this suits your healing first:

Power

Tech Power

Aim

Surge

Crit

Endurance

Alacrity

And in gearing terms, to actually achieve gear with this stat priority, you're looking at 4pc *pvp gear, an augmented 5th armour piece, 2 augmented custom pistols, 2xRakata eliminator's implants, an augmented expert rejuvenation earpiece, matrix cube and a high-power tanking relic (passive power > use/equip effects).

Get a full set of black hole gear and 6 extra sets of black hole boots (565 bh comms total), strip out all the reflex26 armourings, adept26 enhancements and agile26 mods (not 26A or 26B... natural 26), and fill up your pvp and augmented items with this stuff. Get some high grade reflex barrels for the tech power, preferably black hole annihilator's guns (mk2 offhand is great and will mean you don't need one of those boots I mentioned before). Belt would be black hole (another 35 comms) and bracers I believe would be the only campaign item... and that's an easy one to get. Last but not least, all augments should be overkill22.

Unbuffed stats:

(Taken from Ask Mr Robot, I didn't calculate them myself)

Bonus Damage: 898.4

Bonus Healing: 629.1

Critical Chance: 25.50%

Critical Multiplier: 78.93%

Activation Speed: 1.05%

Aim: 1826.8

Cunning: 140.0

Endurance: 1579.0

It's up to you if you want to heal with gear like this, but it's what I'm working towards.

This is a total power-stack, but as a measure of the strength of it... you would get reliable 7k minimum crits on rapid scan, and 600-1100 on each kolto shell activation. This couples very well with a rakata CRIT adrenal, as the adrenal pushes your crit over 45% for 15 seconds, and with the power you have behind you in this gear... there's nothing you couldn't heal through... short of enrages.

Also, you can build this gear without touching the campaign set. Handy, eh?

A bit expensive on bh comms though.

*= I say 4pc pvp gear because I personally feel that the 2pc bonus from pve is detrimental to healing.

Edited by Slipt

Oh, just had a look at your spec too.

Personally I'd recommend dropping power shield and system calibrations, and instead picking up reactive armour and custom enviro suit. I understand the merits of the skills you've chosen, I just don't think they're quite as important.

Thanks very much for the helpful reply. I am having a g

ood look at this now and seeing if it will suit me personally and if Im able to work towards it, I should be I think. Black Hole Commendations are easy enough to get at the moment, and so again thanks very much for your advice :)

On a side note, when you say get Black Hole Gear I take it you mean Med Tech ones ?

Edited by Harbag

When you say buy a full set of Black Hole gear AND 6 extra Boots and remove the mods and enhancements and armoring to put into the pvp set, do u mean buy Head, Legs, Boots, and Gloves and keep the mods etc in them and change the mods on everything else with the extra mods from the 6 Extra BH Boots ? Or should I use the Mods etc from the boots for every piece of gear I have ?

After thinking about it, is it because the Armouring is tied to each piece of gear and so u need just the armouring from the individual pieces AND then the Mods and Enhancements from the extra boots ?

Edited by Harbag

After thinking about it, is it because the Armouring is tied to each piece of gear and so u need just the armouring from the individual pieces AND then the Mods and Enhancements from the extra boots ?

This.

I'm glad you're interested in what I wrote. I don't find many merc healers who are happy to forgo our vast potential alacrity in favour of larger heals. It seems obvious to me, given that faster casting does not mean cheaper casting... but many healers like the versatility of rapid responsiveness.

Personally, I just try to act fast and predict the damage instead.

Just today I got rid of the last of the crit rating and alacrity on my gear in favour of stronger stats.

Never healed better.

Played around on the fleet, with full raid buffs, relic and adrenal... 7979 rapid scan crit.

Finally saw my first non-crit heal over 4000.

My advice is to prioritise stats in this order... but please think hard if this suits your healing first:

Power

Tech Power

Aim

Surge

Crit

Endurance

Alacrity

Unbuffed stats:

(Taken from Ask Mr Robot, I didn't calculate them myself)

Bonus Damage: 898.4

Bonus Healing: 629.1

Critical Chance: 25.50%

Critical Multiplier: 78.93%

Activation Speed: 1.05%

Aim: 1826.8

Cunning: 140.0

Endurance: 1579.0

IMO you are sacrificing a lot of crit. The % crit from aim doesnt have dismising returns, which means that aim > power (because you get + 9% aim from talents).

Im going for 35% crit unbuffed, 75% critical multiplier, 0 alacrity (only talents) and the rest into power:

- Al augments should be aim+endurance

- Take enhacements with power + surge or crit + surge

So: aim > crit (35%) > surge (75%) > power > surge (>75%) > crit (>35%) > alacrity is my priority chain.

IMO you are sacrificing a lot of crit. The % crit from aim doesnt have dismising returns, which means that aim > power (because you get + 9% aim from talents).

Yes I am sacrificing a lot of crit.

You're totally correct in saying that crit% from aim is linear.

EDIT: The following is wrong. Crit from aim is far stronger than I had thought.

Power is still > Aim, even if you consider 9% from talents and 5% from raid buffs.

Aim's contribution to healing bonus is aim*0.14, whereas power's contribution is power*0.17.

Even if you add the small crit benefit (which is really tiny, truly miniscule), and add an extra 14% from the buffs, you still end up with less healing benefit than power's 0.17 multiplier.

It's a bit depressing, but it's true. Aim is just not our primary stat.

Edited by Slipt

Yes I am sacrificing a lot of crit.

You're totally correct in saying that crit% from aim is linear.

Power is still > Aim, even if you consider 9% from talents and 5% from raid buffs.

Aim's contribution to healing bonus is aim*0.14, whereas power's contribution is power*0.17.

Even if you add the small crit benefit (which is really tiny, truly miniscule), and add an extra 14% from the buffs, you still end up with less healing benefit than power's 0.17 multiplier.

It's a bit depressing, but it's true. Aim is just not our primary stat.

2000 aim = 319,2 healing power + 13,84% crit

2000 power = 340 healing power

I see a clear winner here :S

2000 aim = 319,2 healing power + 13,84% crit

2000 power = 340 healing power

I see a clear winner here :S

So do I... particularly considering my crit multiplier is over 94%.

I don't know how I got this wrong, and I'm wondering how I persisted in my belief for so long.

Can't thank you enough Qendra! Shifting my 3 augments to aim.

My sincere apologies to the OP about my error. Hope he reads this!

Er, I was under the impression that aim hits diminishing returns for its crit bonus EXTREMELY hard after a certain point. Like worse than surge.

Maybe you should compare the difference between going from 1k of each stat to 1k of one and 2k of another.

Er, I was under the impression that aim hits diminishing returns for its crit bonus EXTREMELY hard after a certain point. Like worse than surge.

Maybe you should compare the difference between going from 1k of each stat to 1k of one and 2k of another.

This is the formula to calculate the % of crit given by aim:

30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( <aim>*1.14/ 50 ) / 2.5 ))

You are true. There is a diminishing returns from aim also:

This calcs are with the 14% extra aim that you get from talents+bufs.

1000 aim = 7.98 %crit 159.60 healing

1000 power = 170 healing (+10.4 healing, -7.98% crit)

2000 aim = 13.84 %crit 319.20 healing

2000 power = 340 healing (+20.8 healing, -13,84% crit)

3000 aim = 18.13 %crit 478.80 healing

3000 power = 510 healing (+31.2 healing, -18.13% crit)

4000 aim = 21.29 %crit 638.40 healing

4000 power = 680 healing (+41.6 healing, -21.29% crit)

This is the formula to calculate the % of crit given by aim:

30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( <aim>*1.14/ 50 ) / 2.5 ))

You are true. There is a diminishing returns from aim also:

This calcs are with the 14% extra aim that you get from talents+bufs.

1000 aim = 7.98 %crit 159.60 healing

1000 power = 170 healing (+10.4 healing, -7.98% crit)

2000 aim = 13.84 %crit 319.20 healing

2000 power = 340 healing (+20.8 healing, -13,84% crit)

3000 aim = 18.13 %crit 478.80 healing

3000 power = 510 healing (+31.2 healing, -18.13% crit)

4000 aim = 21.29 %crit 638.40 healing

4000 power = 680 healing (+41.6 healing, -21.29% crit)

Something is wrong here, 2000 aim is 12.86% crit.

I know because that's how much aim I have.

New formula?

2000 aim from items + 280 (9% talents + 5% buff = 14%) = 2280 aim

No, 2000 buffed aim. There were no more percentages to be applied to it.

Are you talking about 2000 unbuffed aim being 13.8% crit?

Seems an odd way of writing a thing.

Edited by Slipt

No, 2000 buffed aim. There were no more percentages to be applied to it.

Are you talking about 2000 unbuffed aim being 13.8% crit?

Seems an odd way of writing a thing.

Its not odd...

You dont get a any direct buff to power. If a piece of gear gives to you 100 power, this is all that you get. If a piece of gear gives 100 aim, you will get 114 aim from it.

If you wanna do a fair comparation between both stats, you should consider that taking a piece of gear with 100 aim gives to you 114 aim, so the comparation is between 114 aim and 100 power instead of 100 vs 100. Aim is better than power because of this fact.

Qendra is considering the 1000,2000,3000 etc. values to be our raw value before bonuses such as the 9% extra aim. Since the reason we're comparing them is to decide which is more valuable when stacked on gear, that is a valid way to calculate the stats' values.

It seems that when that is taken into account, aim is pretty clearly the winner (the diminishing returns on crit are nowhere near as bad as I had believed).

Edited by Arzoo