The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Aim or Tech Crit for Pyro?

Hello fellow PTs,

Thanks for a great class forum, lots of good reads in here and good tempered people too!

A quick question to the PT gurus if I may:

For a 31pt Pyro looking for a little bit ore DPS, should I go for +6% aim or +3% Tech crit ?

Especially during PVP-length fights, as in would the crit chance give me a slightly higher chance of taking down those glowstick-wielders before they get too close, or do Aim just scale too well to be left out?

The builds I've seen here and elsewhere seem to differ on this point.

Interested in your opinions on this,

Jewa

PS

I kinda hope its not Aim so I get at least a small excuse to not chase down the rest of those datacrons...

I went crit.

My decision was mostly based on the fact that we have surge talents for fire abilities and TD in pyro. Higher crit takes better advantage of these.

I still took the time to track down all of the aim, endurance, and cunning datacrons. It's not that bad, just work it one planet at a time and gather them while waiting for war zone pops.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I want to say that you start getting diminishing returns on crit. So once you get ~25% crit chance, aim becomes the better stat because it does not have the DR problem

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I want to say that you start getting diminishing returns on crit. So once you get ~25% crit chance, aim becomes the better stat because it does not have the DR problem

Talents that give a straight "+3% to tech" or "+6% crit to fire" are not calculated into the crit rating diminishing returns formula. While there are diminishing return on how much damage a single percentage of crit provides this theoretical cap is not really a problem until you start sacrificing power to go above 45-50% crit chance.

Please consider this data (all stats taken from character sheet 4/6/31 build).

We are currently discussing just this topic is the pvp impressions thread (lots of pages, just skip to the end) and I explained why I personally, along with exphryl at the moment i think, choose 2/3 Steely resolve (AIM) over the crit talents. Edited by Hardened