What Are You Doing on May 4th?

Malles

Its actually really not. I'm a navigator on seismic survey vessels (WG Tasman is the name of the vessel i'm currently on) and what I do well... its a bit hard to explain but ill try my best. The boat is pulling 10 seismic cables roughly 5 miles long behind the boat which collects a bunch of data of what is underneath the ocean floor to basicly find out where the oil , natural gas, and other various hydrocarbons are. The vessel must be steered down a straight line which is anywhere between 15 miles to 40 miles long. During this time, not to tangle any of the cables at any time keeping each of the cables at a certain depth. I also position the boat to be at a certain point for a specific time heading a particular direction.

Now to take into account that there are 3 other boats traveling side by side each other makes things a bit more complicated... oh... now your work schedule will be 5 weeks on the boat, 5 weeks off the boat. When your on the boat, you will be working 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week with no days off. If your scheduled to be on the boat though, it would include working any holiday and any other day you might possibly have off during a normal job. However, when your home... its a 5 week vacation with no other responsibilities and still getting paid when your home.

more info can be found here about the company and the different surveys we do

so hard and cool!

i'm yelling at my mobile carrier because i cant call 008000BIOWARE (support call centre) (and obiously i wont from work, as i'm in Italy

unfortunately i've activated the mobile app authenticator and someting goes bad on my daily "nightly" installation on my Galaxy Nexus... no mobile connection, sithdamnit!

so i'm also yelling at my phone while use my IT Force to make that lazy piece of thech working as intended!

X__X

Its actually really not. I'm a navigator on seismic survey vessels (WG Tasman is the name of the vessel i'm currently on) and what I do well... its a bit hard to explain but ill try my best. The boat is pulling 10 seismic cables roughly 5 miles long behind the boat which collects a bunch of data of what is underneath the ocean floor to basicly find out where the oil , natural gas, and other various hydrocarbons are. The vessel must be steered down a straight line which is anywhere between 15 miles to 40 miles long. During this time, not to tangle any of the cables at any time keeping each of the cables at a certain depth. I also position the boat to be at a certain point for a specific time heading a particular direction.

Now to take into account that there are 3 other boats traveling side by side each other makes things a bit more complicated... oh... now your work schedule will be 5 weeks on the boat, 5 weeks off the boat. When your on the boat, you will be working 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week with no days off. If your scheduled to be on the boat though, it would include working any holiday and any other day you might possibly have off during a normal job. However, when your home... its a 5 week vacation with no other responsibilities and still getting paid when your home.

more info can be found here about the company and the different surveys we do

I feel your pain. I am no stranger to being on a ship for extended periods of time in the middle of the damn ocean. but hay, at least you passed hump day...:)