The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DOT Clipping

I am wondering how DoT clipping works in swtor. From what I hear it exists, and dots applied by the same person will erase the old dot, and start a new dot from the begining over again.

My question is, to what extent is this true?

If I have Gut/Retractable Blade (Internal bleed), and use a Plasma Cell/Combustible Gas Cylinder (elemental dot) and also have Incendiary Round/Missle (another elemental dot)......do they all overwrite each other? Or can all 3 be used at the same time effectively and be ticking away at the same time?

My assumption is, all 3 dots can be used at the same time, and do not overwrite each other (but will overwrite themselves if clipped). However I have not yet tested this extensively in pvp.

Any and all advice appreciated, thank you.

Edited by SOULCASTER

I am wondering how DoT clipping works in swtor. From what I hear it exists, and dots applied by the same person will erase the old dot, and start a new dot from the begining over again.

My question is, to what extent is this true?

If I have Gut/Retractable Blade (Internal bleed), and use a Plasma Cell/Combustible Gas Cylinder (elemental dot) and also have Incendiary Round/Missle (another elemental dot)......do they all overwrite each other? Or can all 3 be used at the same time effectively and be ticking away at the same time?

My assumption is, all 3 dots can be used at the same time, and do not overwrite each other (but will overwrite themselves if clipped). However I have not yet tested this extensively in pvp.

Any and all advice appreciated, thank you.

Dot Clipping refers to refreshing a dot before it has it's final tick, not about different dots overwriting other dots.

Dot Clipping = Hitting Retractable Blade before the Dot has fallen off.

All your dots are seperate and can be applied to have 3 ticking dots on a target.

Dot clipping is when you refresh a DoT effect before all its ticks of damage have had a chance to apply.

Best example would be incindiary round. At four ammo it's something you don't toss out lightly. If you fire a second incindiary round at the target while you still have a second or two left on the original incindiary round DoT, you lose the last tick of damage from the first DoT. This wastes ammo.

Dot Clipping refers to refreshing a dot before it has it's final tick, not about different dots overwriting other dots.

Dot Clipping = Hitting Retractable Blade before the Dot has fallen off.

All your dots are seperate and can be applied to have 3 ticking dots on a target.

Ok so i was correct in assuming that then. Thanks for the quick reply

Can anyone enlighten me as to how DoT work in this game in relation to adrenals/buffs?

Does your increased damage from buffs apply when the DoT lands, and continue for the duration of the DoT? Or does each tick of the DoT run a check and damage according to your buffs at that moment?

I was reading in the Vanguard forums that the recommended damage priority for assault spec would be to cast IR --> hit relics/adrenals --> AP --> HiB --> SS/IP --> HiB on proc. This runs a little counter intuitive to how I had thought DoTs worked and would also affect PvP performance depending on when you reapplied DoTs (since DoT clipping is not quite as much a no-no in PvP as it is in PvE, depending on the circumstances)