Returning From pre CU SWG!

Jazalin

Been along time since I played anything related to SW. Looking forward to getting started again, from scratch. I played SWG religiously when released and retired like many others after the initial CU. I was quite known for finding legendary Acklay bones and some of the most rare weapons on SWG prior to retiring and while I wont have any were near the time to play as I once did, I look forward to trying to return and regain some of that once great glory.

Few questions....

Whats best class to play for healing, PVE initially?

Any tips for getting acclimated?

What are some of the better servers to start up on, Midwest US?

Are there any screen ui mods to add on, or is that not allowed?

Edited by Jazalin

Welcome, from one pre CU player to another.

There are no mods for the game and none are expected. BW has stated that the do not want them in the game.

Empire and Republic have mirror classes.

The main healing advanced classes are

Jedi Consular Sage / Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer

Smuggler Scoundrel / Imperial Agent Operative

Torhead.com has a skill tree calculator to help with your build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc

IMO, and a lot of other players, Imperial Agent has the best class story in the game.

Here is a stat guide

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=88942

Here is a great write up about crew skills companion bonues and recommendations by class

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132015

Even if you don't craft, the Reverse Engineering guide is a must read

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866

Edited by Owsley

Any tips for getting acclimated?

Don't expect it to be anything like SWG. At all. No, really, I mean it. This is not a successor to SWG, it's a SW reskin of a WoW clone with BW single player storybits bolted on.

Are there any screen ui mods to add on, or is that not allowed?

There's no provision for anyone outside BW's devs to make any changes to how the UI works/looks using anything other than the user interface controls accessible to everyone, and BW don't seem to be keen on letting users mod things themselves.

Thanks for the replies. So I was thinking of taking the biochem route for crafting, can I take that and reverse engineering? From what I can see, it doesnt look like it.

All crafting skills can reverse engineer.

The recommended biochen skills are

Biochem > Bioanalysis > Diplomacy

Items in the game are color coded in this hierarchy

Green > Blue > Purple and Orange (which is a special case)

Green items can be RE'd into Blue and Blue can be RE'd into Purple

Bioanalysys is a gathering skill that is used to obtain green mats to craft.

Blue and Purple mats are obtained from Diplomacy missions (and rare drops at higher levels)

For Biochem, the Purple non-equipment items are reususable and only usable for players that have the Biochem skill. In effect it's like you get another "heal spell" and buffs you can use on yourself :D

Edited by Owsley

can I take that and reverse engineering?

Reverse Engineering isn't a skill you take, or perhaps better put it's skill everyone gets.

It lets you reverse engineer things you made, in the case of biotech healing kits or implants. When you RE something you get back a few of the items it took to make it, and have a % chance of learning a higher quality version of that item.

So you make a green item you can RE it and have a 20% chance to learn the blue version. RE blue items and have a % chance of learning purple ones.

Thanks for the replies. So I was thinking of taking the biochem route for crafting, can I take that and reverse engineering? From what I can see, it doesnt look like it.

Everyone can reverse engineer.

Biochem uses Bioanalysis and Diplomacy for gathering/mission skills.

Hello Jazalin, welcome to the community!

For general information and guides, please see the New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources, which has a large number of guides written by fellow community members. You may find the community created ones in the section Non-Stickied New Players Help Notable Threads. There is a similar directory in the Crew Skills forum, which you might find useful, as well: Crew Skills Guide Directory.

Hope this helps!