Defensive/Survivability spec advice for PvP - for new Jugg

Boul

I've read that a pure tank spec with everything into tanky/defensive skills & gear isn't worthwhile for PvP. I have other classes that are pure DPS but more fragile, and what appealed to me about Jugg was the idea that I could have a lot of survivability & utility. On my other chars I've encountered Juggs in PvP that were very tough to kill, so I know there's a least some good ways to spec defensively and be harder to kill. I'd like to run the ball in Huttball. I'd like to just be an overall PITA to kill, and be able to guard & defend my friends in WZ without being too squishy myself. I don't care about my total dmg numbers in WZ. I want to be effective in other ways.

1. Is there a clear best spec for what I'm asking - maximizing the defensive abilities that actually work in PvP along with utility, and then dmg?

2. Specifically which defensive talent specs do NOT work in PvP, are broken, etc.?

3. How far should I go into the Immortal tree?

4. Gearing with my goals in mind - should I still seek out +defense, + shield, and +absorb items when available? or should I just gear for dmg?

Thanks in advance for your input. I'm only level 11 and I don't plan to PvP much until 30's. I don't care how painful the PvE grind is.

I've read that a pure tank spec with everything into tanky/defensive skills & gear isn't worthwhile for PvP. I have other classes that are pure DPS but more fragile, and what appealed to me about Jugg was the idea that I could have a lot of survivability & utility. On my other chars I've encountered Juggs in PvP that were very tough to kill, so I know there's a least some good ways to spec defensively and be harder to kill. I'd like to run the ball in Huttball. I'd like to just be an overall PITA to kill, and be able to guard & defend my friends in WZ without being too squishy myself. I don't care about my total dmg numbers in WZ. I want to be effective in other ways.

1. Is there a clear best spec for what I'm asking - maximizing the defensive abilities that actually work in PvP along with utility, and then dmg?

2. Specifically which defensive talent specs do NOT work in PvP, are broken, etc.?

3. How far should I go into the Immortal tree?

4. Gearing with my goals in mind - should I still seek out +defense, + shield, and +absorb items when available? or should I just gear for dmg?

Thanks in advance for your input. I'm only level 11 and I don't plan to PvP much until 30's. I don't care how painful the PvE grind is.

something like:

http://www.sithspecs.com/sith-warrior-juggernaut/swtor-sith-warrior-juggernaut-build-hybrid-pvp-spec/

might work for you

Unstoppable is very nice for Huttball

Invincible (Immortal tree) and Deafening Defense (Veng) make you harder to kill

The Veng tree also adds some dmg, so if you wanted more survivability I'd stop Veng at Deafening Defense and put the rest in Immortal (for things like Sonic Barrier and Shield Specialization).

:o

Ok thank you.

What about gear spec? +defense? + shield? should I equip shield, or is it not worth it?

if you plan on being in Soresu form I'd use a shield for sure. Other than that, defense, shield, and absorb all do something...maybe not as much as you'd like, but they all make you harder to kill

edit: are they worth trading dmg for more survivability? that will depend on your play preference

Edited by Internicio

:o

if you plan on being in Soresu form I'd use a shield for sure. Other than that, defense, shield, and absorb all do something...maybe not as much as you'd like, but they all make you harder to kill

edit: are they worth trading dmg for more survivability? that will depend on your play preference

most often the answer is no.

shields only work against energy and kinetic damage (sabers and blasters, mostly) while doing nothing against internal and elemental damage (flamethrowers/lightening/dots)

keep in mind that if you sacrifice too much damage for survivability, you'll struggle to do enough damage to actualy kill something with even minor self heals, and never have a hope of taking out a healer or a target recieving heals.

the general wisdom for jug pvp survivability is to spec immortal/vengance, but gear dps (vindicator gear + focus).

Tank stats are only useful against white damage. Aka Snipers. Marauders quite a bit as well depending on spec and about half or so of what an average Jugg will do. Yellow damage will just ignore your tank stats... and there's a lot of classes that have a high amount of yellow (Tech or Force) damage. Bounty Hunters (either kind) and Operatives have some white damage, but not enough to truly gear around. Marauder is fotm right now though, so there's that.

Armor is for energy/kinetic damage of which there's a lot (Force Lightning is energy damage, for example)... but you get the same amount of armor regardless if your mod (that gives the armor rating) is defensive or offensive related (99% sure). The biggest boost is from going into Soresu, which any Jugg can do and you would anyway with the playstyle you want. Elemental/Internal ignores armor yes, but there aren't that many specs that can truly spam tons of it at you. Many dots actually do kinetic damage.

So there's two main choices. Firstly do you go full Immortal or hybrid. There's a number of threads on here discussing the benefits of each side. Secondly is do you use tank stats (to be that much harder to kill against certain classes/be an even better huttball carrier) or dps stats to have a better shot at killing whoever is pestering your guard target of choice. All the Assassin tanks running around in dps gear says it's not exactly a terrible option and worth considering.

Kind of up to you exactly what flavor of pvp tank you want. All have their uses, it's just a matter of which kind you find more valuable.

Edited by Lockexxi

Best defense in this game is:

Kill the enemy before they kill you.

Tanking in pvp in swtor, doesnt work atm. i tried, i just got angry rage and pissed off.

if you go tanking.. you cant realy do **** in pvp. no dmg.. and heavy armor and shield doesnt help for **** either..

since the most dmg you take is Internal.. or elemental.. and that passes by all defenses... (stupid design..

What you do in pvp.. is. Put guard on someone, and play more defensive, dont charge into the first enemy you see.

Let other ppl play kamikaze.. and you just jump in to help kill the last few hp.

remember, you have guard alrdy on someone. wich means.. you alrdy take 30% dmg even if your not in battle.

so if you jump in head first.. and same with the guarded player.. you will just explode in 2 seconds...

you take his 30 % dmg.. and you take 100 % dmg yourself.. that spells.. Kaboom.. you die misserably..

and you start raging and wondering *** is going on...

ive been there, and tried it.

Most fun i have now is.. guard someone. and stand offside abit.. (you still take dmg.. remember)...

and when i see someone with low hp.. i charge in and smash my crit for 4 - 5 k... that usualy does kills.

if not, stay on target till it dies... then.. run out to distance again and wait for next target...

just started running as a tank on my jugg last night for pvp. had quite a lot of fun. got lots of votes for the protection/support i did.

things you should remember:

- use your taunt whenever it's off CD, that's 30% damage saved against a team mate

- use your AoE taunt whenever it's off CD, that's 30% damage reduced against everyone not attacking you

- use your AoE snare to peel maras off your healer, it's dirt cheap if you spec for it

- set accessible bindings for "Target nearest friend" and "Target next friend" and

- set your Guard on a hotkey, so this plus the target friend bindings, it's easy to switch guard on team mates

- be useful in burning down healers, interrupt them like crazy (bash, force push, choke, disrupt, move away and jump)

- cheap retaliate (if spec'd for it) + vicious slash or crushing blow gives good burst if they align

- be sure to use ravage whenever you use unchanneled force choke

- when carrying the ball in huttball, jump + push + jump will let you cover long distances

you can kill casters/healers 1v1, just need to manage your interrupts and CC. it's a really new game play for me and i'm really having fun with it.

i do this as immortal in DPS gear + shield.

Edited by noodlehaus