Neutral Relics?

xmbk

Yes - the 400 artifice, BOP Rakata relics, do not require light or dark scores to equip. Similarly, the Matrix Cubes (which you assemble from the matrix shards in datacrons) do not seem to require them either, though I only have the lower level one and it has no such req.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, for non-raiders there's no neutral relics except matrix shards and crafted ones. But I haven't seen any of these crafted ones...what level of crafting do you need - 400?! From what, artifice? Yet, if you're a low-level character with light or dark side points, you can just buy relics from a vendor. The galactic trade network is not reliable enough to find crafted ones (no one sells! and maximum auction length is only 2 days, after all, that might have something to do with it!). Also, light or dark aligned characters have access to neutral relics as well. Not fair.

There is a very simple reason why you are not finding crafted relics on the GTN - the artifice-crafted relics are Bind on Pickup! You have to be an artificer yourself to make one, and yes they are at rank 400 artificing with a minimum level to use of 50. All level 50 relics are alignment-neutral. Levelling up without a relic really isn't that big of a hinderance.

The basic topic here is the one I logged in specifically to come address - neutrality.

The game effectively forces (no pun intended) you to pick light or dark, whereas "playing your concience" should be valid. I actually like the basic idea of some items being alignment specific, but there should be a gray mixed in with the white and the black. I'd like to see some relics, as we level, that are specifically looking for the middle. The lower the level, the tighter the requirement. So, for example, the first relics at 27 might disallow > level 1 in either direction. At 35, it might cut a bit more slack (say, > level 2). And, at 50, no more than level 3 (heck, I might say even staying at or below level 2 is good).

This shouldn't be hard to implement, and would be nice for some classes that don't really care about good/evil, but more about "what gets the job done". Bounty Hunters, Smugglers, Agents and Troopers are ones where there is a very valid role play direction that leans towards the very situational choice, and thus being largely neutral.