PvP/DPS Specs

juliandracos

So I am new to troopers (and the Republic). I am trying to figure out how I want to spec. I am wanting to see various builds people use them and why they like them so I can see what spec would suit me. I am not that interested in healing (just not that good at it.) I like hybrid builds if they give me more tools to play with.

Gunnery right now is pretty messed up for PvP. Without the extra damage from the armor pen from Grav Round not working properly with Tech attacks, and the sheer amount of time you need to actually set up for your burst damage and the cast times from Grav Round and Full Auto against all these Marauders/Assassins leaves you high and dry. When I was running Gunnery it was a good day when I managed to get enough stacks of Grav Round to actually have Demo Round be good.

Assault is a lot more mobile but ~20% of its damage comes from DoTs though. So if a healer is on top of their **** they'll just cleanse it off themselves. If you time it well and get a little lucky you can get some nasty burst between 2 HIBs, Assault Plastique and a salvo from Charged Bolts all in 3 seconds. I'd strongly recommend Assault for PvP at the moment.

Thanks. Are any of the specs better for AoE damage?
Not really.

I would personally recommend an Assault build as the mobility is nice and I find the burst is a bit better with roughly equivalent DPS after grav round nerf.

You can also try something hybrid, but I would only recommend it if you are playing with competent friends.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRMRbcdkZMIkbR0z.1

This will let you spot heal if your dedicated healers fall behind and otherwise you can help out w/ grav round.

Note you will probably not top any meters w/ this spec but it is handy in a premade.