Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please fix date display on the subscription pages

Laurreth

This was originally intended as a reply to the tauntaun/30 day "have I got it yet?" thread, but IMO the topic warrants its own thread.

On the varions account pages related to subscriptions, you're using many different ambiguous date formats:

The subscription page at https://account.swtor.com/user/subscription seems to use "MM.DD.YYYY" for the next billing date, and "MM/YYYY" for the credit card expiration.

The payment history page uses "DD <shortened month> YYYY" for the next billing date, and "YYYY/MM/DD" for the payment history table.

Only one of those formats is not ambiguous.

Either consequently make it "MM/DD/YYYY", which at least some people can make sense of given that while Bioware is Canadian, most people will associate it with a US date, or–and that's the proper way–use the unambiguous ISO 8601 notation (YYYY-MM-DD) which is standardised all over the world. You're dealing with payment data there, so being unambiguous trumps localisation.

On the varions account pages related to subscriptions, you're using many different ambiguous date formats:

The subscription page at https://account.swtor.com/user/subscription seems to use "MM.DD.YYYY" for the next billing date, and "MM/YYYY" for the credit card expiration.

The payment history page uses "DD <shortened month> YYYY" for the next billing date, and "YYYY/MM/DD" for the payment history table.

Only one of those formats is not ambiguous.

Either consequently make it "MM/DD/YYYY", which at least some people can make sense of given that while Bioware is Canadian, most people will associate it with a US date, or–and that's the proper way–use the unambiguous ISO 8601 notation (YYYY-MM-DD) which is standardised all over the world. You're dealing with payment data there, so being unambiguous trumps localisation.

I haven't really seen the "iso 8601" format used much, and didn't know it was a stndardised format. If so it's one that isn't used much. Personally I'd prefer it if they stick to the unambiguous DD <shortened month> YYYY format. It can't be misunderstood (well easily...).

The credit card expiration date doesn't seem ambigious however. That's how the dates are written on the cards and it's fairly clear what it stands for so I don't think it needs changing. Best keep it the format on the cards/payment system to avoid confusion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.