Crit/Surge VS Power

icegrx

I'm sure its been asked a billion times.. But what gives a greater advantage? Stacking power or crit/surge?

:wea_14:

Depends a little on spec. Lethality relies more +crit than the others b/c of energy regen, so there is a secondary factor to consider. Sithwarrior.com and mmo-mechanics.com have some added details on it. mmo-mechanics.com for instantce has a nice plot of rating vs. % bonus to see the deminishing returns.

In general,

+crit up to about 35%

+surge up to about 75%

+power after that.

about +8% to accuracy, but that typically is trivial to get with all the power/accuracy mods on endgame gear.

Edited by Infalliable

Depends a little on spec. Lethality relies more +crit than the others b/c of energy regen, so there is a secondary factor to consider. Sithwarrior.com and mmo-mechanics.com have some added details on it. mmo-mechanics.com for instantce has a nice plot of rating vs. % bonus to see the deminishing returns.

In general,

+crit up to about 35%

+surge up to about 75%

+power after that.

about +8% to accuracy, but that typically is trivial to get with all the power/accuracy mods on endgame gear.

Thanks a bunch! Currently I am doing MM

huh...when did that change...

EDIT: ah i see...it changed with 1.2...

Its always been 10%. Based upon some preliminary testing the theorycrafting community postulated it was 8% early on. The SWTOR community as a whole took that as fact and ran with it. This led to a widespread misconception, so, no harm. :)

Edited by Aravanus

+crit up to about 35%

+surge up to about 75%

+power after that.

I want to point out that crit rating's value is more dependent on your current rating, not crit chance. The reason is that the diminishing returns on crit is separate between crit from cunning, crit from crit rating, and ranged crit from aim.

For MM, the best way I can simplify it is:

Surge is really good at first, but it quickly gets pretty weak. You'll be soft-capping accuracy, so you'll end up with lots of surge anyway.

Crit is dependent on how much surge you have, and since you'll probably have lots of surge, crit is good too. You want your crit rating to be somewhere around 1/4th of your surge rating (so if you have 300 surge, aim for about 75 crit rating; this isn't exact) -- after that, power is better than crit.

If you want any more precise numbers, have a look at the Sniper/Gunslinger Spreadsheet or the Marksmanship Sniper/Sharpshooter Gunslinger Compendium. They're linked in my signature below.

Edited by Tibbel