Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Fresh 50 - PvP tank spec?

QuestGAV

Just hit 50 on a rerolled server so resources for gearing up are quite tight. I'm going to be mostly PvPing with occasional PvE dailies so I don't need absolute top tank mitigation and extra DPS/utility is useful. No plans to tank ops or Lost Island in the near future.

Storm is the one thing I'm set on, so I'm looking for 21+/x/y. My understanding from pre 1.2 is that the 6th tier talents are underwhelming in the shield tree for PvP so I may be better off putting the 10 points it takes to get to Energy Blast somewhere else that gets me some DPS & utility. I know the "Carolina Parakeet" was the most popular build that met this definition before but it's dead with 1.2 apparently. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Just hit 50 on a rerolled server so resources for gearing up are quite tight. I'm going to be mostly PvPing with occasional PvE dailies so I don't need absolute top tank mitigation and extra DPS/utility is useful. No plans to tank ops or Lost Island in the near future.

Storm is the one thing I'm set on, so I'm looking for 21+/x/y. My understanding from pre 1.2 is that the 6th tier talents are underwhelming in the shield tree for PvP so I may be better off putting the 10 points it takes to get to Energy Blast somewhere else that gets me some DPS & utility. I know the "Carolina Parakeet" was the most popular build that met this definition before but it's dead with 1.2 apparently. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Here's the thing about the usual "shield/defense is useless in PvP" attitude most people have. It's wrong. It's useless against SOME classes. Having a lot of shield/defense won't slow a Sorcerer down in the slightest. It won't save you from a Operative or a Mercenary. But people think that "useless against some classes" means "useless against all classes.

Here's a question: What's the FOTM class right now? It's the Marauder. Guess what? A huge portion of Marauder damage is weapon damage. Having the T6 talents gives you a large defensive boost against weapon damage, and it's even bigger if you have just a few pieces of gear with tanking stats. A full tank Vanguard will do better against a Sentinel than a hybrid Vanguard in DPS gear. Of the eight Imperial classes, here's how tank stats help:

Marauder: Strong

Juggernaut: Strong

Sniper: Strong

Operative: Weak

Sorcerer: None

Assassin: Moderate

Mercenary: None

Powertech: Weak

Look at the classes that tank stats are bad against. They're the classes we're already designed to take down. Sorcs and Mercenaries are powerful if they can freecast on you. However, get them in melee range (with Storm or Harpoon), interrupt their skills, apply pressure, and they go fast. We don't need to worry about taking them down.

We're also uniquely suited for taking down Assassins and Operatives. Our stealth detection gives us a far better chance of spotting them early, depriving them of the element of surprise. In a level fight, our higher defenses will usually win out against their squishy burst.

It's the classes we're weakest against that are hurt the most by shield chance. Snipers are immune to our gap-closers, and have plenty of tools to keep us away. If you try to have a ranged fight with a Sniper, you lose. If you try to close on them, you're going to have a real hard time getting through their slows and knockbacks. Having the large survivability boost of shields makes that much easier.

Marauders have higher DPS than us and strong defenses. They have no trouble closing with all that leaping, which makes kiting impractical. In a straight melee fight, they have the upper hand. Having shields that work against a huge number of their attacks gives full tank Vanguards the best chance of all our specs to take them down. Tank stats give us the upper hand against Juggernauts, which we are otherwise on equal footing with (in my experience).

Tank stats are useless against some classes, but those are the classes we're already strong against. Tank stats give us a much better chance against the classes that we're weakest against. They're not worthless.

Something to think about, anyways.

Edited by Philosomanic

Here's the thing about the usual "shield/defense is useless in PvP" attitude most people have. It's wrong. It's useless against SOME classes. Having a lot of shield/defense won't slow a Sorcerer down in the slightest. It won't save you from a Operative or a Mercenary. But people think that "useless against some classes" means "useless against all classes.

That isn't the typical argument, actually. It's that DPS stats always provide a benefit (you deal more damage), whereas tank stats sometimes provide a benefit.

Here's a question: What's the FOTM class right now? It's the Marauder. Guess what? A huge portion of Marauder damage is weapon damage.

That isn't how the mechanics work. Weapon damage isn't the key factor for what is or is not shieldable.

Attack type (Force, Melee, Ranged, or Tech) is what matters.

Keep in mind that Shield only occurs if the following 3 are all true:

1. the attack is Melee or Ranged, not Force or Tech

2. the attack was not avoided (via Defense)

3. the attack was not a Crit

Going with tankier stats will improve your Time-to-Live in some situations, but it also nerfs your damage in all situations.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.