Str vs. Power augment

Sharpiie

I should have added that I tested it at around 1650 and 1850 strength and around 300 crit rating. Due to how little the crit you get from str diminishes, it will likely hold true for 2050 str as well, but my primary concern is pvp, so I'm not really concerned with having over 2k strength.

And what I said is not misinformation. If you don't believe me, test it out for yourself on askmrrobot using pvp gear.

Edited by Drator

I should have added that I tested it at around 1650 and 1850 strength. Due to how little the crit you get from str diminishes, it will likely hold true for 2050 str as well, but my primary concern is pvp, so I'm not really concerned with having over 2k strength.

And what I said is not misinformation. If you don't believe me, test it out for yourself on askmrrobot using pvp gear.

"At a 1-1 ratio, strength > power. "

That indeed is misinformation. It may hold true for most PVP gear given its low Str values, but If you still don't understand why you cannot make such a simple blanket statement after my post, then we have nothing further to discuss.

"At a 1-1 ratio, strength > power. "

That indeed is misinformation. It may hold true for most PVP gear given its low Str values, but If you still don't understand why you cannot make such a simple blanket statement after my post, then we have nothing further to discuss.

I should have said "For pvp, at a 1-1 ratio, strength > power.". I don't pve at all, and it really is the last thing on my mind, so I usually automatically default pvp answers. (especially when the op doesn't specify)

So, my apologies.

I should have said "For pvp, at a 1-1 ratio, strength > power.". I don't pve at all, and it really is the last thing on my mind, so I usually automatically default pvp answers. (especially when the op doesn't specify)

So, my apologies.

Fair enough. Apologies if I came off as hostile.

Edited by Okamakiri

PPower is a linear damage boosting stat (4.3 power = 1 dmg), while Str is logarithmic due to attached crit bonus (5 str = 1 dmg + small % crit, how small depends on your overall stats). At low Str/Crit levels, Str is better than Power. At high Str/Crit levels, Power becomes better than Str.

I just wanted to clarify here: your crit rating level is irrelevant to the crit contribution from Strength, because crit chance from your mainstat is on a separate curve with much lower DR. Essentially, crit rating has a high contribution to crit chance but high DR, while your mainstat has a low contribution with low DR. They are completely independent from one another.

The issue here is that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of spreadsheets/simulations calculating how much better the added crit chance is versus the higher bonus damage. For Sorcs (who, in all fairness, have a +6% Willpower talent), Power does not pull ahead of Willpower until about 9,000 Willpower, which is clearly irrelevant for any reasonable discussion.

The advantage of Strength over Power obviously depends on the DPS returns of the added crit, but I suspect that at a 1:1 ratio Strength is still better within any conceivable gearing range at present.