The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Noob question (Attack types)

Philosomanic

Okay, I have a noob question about attack types. Are Stock Strike and Gut counted as melee or tech attacks? The obvious answer is that they're melee, but I can't say I recall having SS deflected. That could be because most people don't bother with defense rating in PvP (and I haven't PvP'd much), or it could be melee damage.

Anyone know?

If it's doing yellow damage it's Tech.

We do not have a "melee" weapon for doing "melee" attacks. All of our white damage is ranged and uses the gun (the front end of it).

Ah, thanks. I completely could not remember what color the damage was (I'm at work). Also, I haven't used Gut yet.

Kind of counter-intuitive that you can parry a lightsaber but not a knife. But oh well, such is the game.

Okay, I have a noob question about attack types. Are Stock Strike and Gut counted as melee or tech attacks? The obvious answer is that they're melee, but I can't say I recall having SS deflected. That could be because most people don't bother with defense rating in PvP (and I haven't PvP'd much), or it could be melee damage.

Anyone know?

Look at the Abilities panel, you can see the attack type of every attack. There are 4: force, melee, ranged, and tech.

Look at the Abilities panel, you can see the attack type of every attack. There are 4: force, melee, ranged, and tech.

That is something I did not know. That should really come in handy. Thanks!

I never had to think about this on my Shadow. Everything was very clearly melee or force, no ambiguities.

Ah, thanks. I completely could not remember what color the damage was (I'm at work). Also, I haven't used Gut yet.

Kind of counter-intuitive that you can parry a lightsaber but not a knife. But oh well, such is the game.

Well you can't parry it, but im assuming you'll *dodge* or *resist* or something if your defense chance kicks in.

Well you can't parry it, but im assuming you'll *dodge* or *resist* or something if your defense chance kicks in.

You can resist tech/force attacks, but you can't parry/dodge/shield them. Which makes sense for things like Ion Cannon or Sith Lightning, but not so much for Stockstrike or Sticky Grenade. But oh well.

basicly all damage in this game falls under 4 categories

Weapon damage

Kinetic

Elemental

Internal

Armor will reduce dmg from weapon and kinetic

defense and shield chance will only work vs weapon dmg

elemental/internal dmg ignore all armor and defense