Post 1.2 PVE BodyGuard Build, Feedback appreciated.

Lets start with this as potentially being Bioware's intention of the "Cookie Cutter" spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rfRMR0cdkqZrcoZb.1

I think the debatable areas are:

1) Improved Vents: You would think it would be more important, but we are forced to be so stingy with heat that I find I hardly use it.

2) Critical Reaction: Also due to heat, alacrity seems worse then before 1.2, so I have been swaping out mods in my gear to swap Alacrity + Power for Power + Surge where possible and Crit + Surge where not. Is there any crit+power? So my thought is to play with this more after I am done modding my gear. Also, we should crit enough that 1 point is almost as effective as 2, no?

3) Surgical precision systems. Is this needed? What about dailies?

4) Protective Field. I take this because It seems like there are a lot of abilities that randomly target then nuke and I like to pop my shield then kolto overload. Combined with Protective field, I really don't have to heal myself. I can even choose to stand in "poo" at times and keep healing if needed. YMMV.

5) Powered Insulators. 4% DR. I should do the math on this now that I have a combat log.

6) Cure Mind. Who uses this regularly? When and for what?

7) Integrated Systems. 2% total + 2% personal...meh

8) Muzzle fluting. If we need to occasionally DPS like the PVP boss in EV, and during burn phases where no healing is needed, isn't this almost mandatory...especially for dailies, etc.

9) Systems Calibrations. See #2 above.

10) Custom Envir Suit. If you don't like alacrity, etc, you have to put the points somewhere....

Any other tree choices we should be considering?

I think I should spec like this: (If I could take a point out of improved vents and critical reaction I might put them in Custom Enviro Suit LOL) http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bfRMR0fdkqZrckZo.1

Lets get this discussion rolling. Its time. Why is my spec wrong? What would be better? Please keep it focused and civil. Thanks!

Edited by TempestasSilva

Here is my current build, then I will discuss my choice reasoning. Please note that I run all dailies, HM FPs for Daily/Weekly tokens (even though my companions are in full Columi with smatterings of Rakata), and NmM EV/KP and we are learning the fights in Story Mode EC (Don't buy the Merc's can't heal Stormcrawler side of second bosses crap out there). Most of my gear is Rakata (I have a Columi Relic and an augmented Orange Chest. I am finally at the point of swapping mods out to increase my healing.

My Skills

My Current Gear and Mods

I think the debatable areas are:

1) Improved Vents: You would think it would be more important, but we are forced to be so stingy with heat that I find I hardly use it.

2) Critical Reaction: Also due to heat, alacrity seems worse then before 1.2, so I have been swaping out mods in my gear to swap Alacrity + Power for Power + Surge where possible and Crit + Surge where not. Is there any crit+power? So my thought is to play with this more after I am done modding my gear. Also, we should crit enough that 1 point is almost as effective as 2, no?

3) Surgical precision systems. Is this needed? What about dailies?

4) Protective Field. I take this because It seems like there are a lot of abilities that randomly target then nuke and I like to pop my shield then kolto overload. Combined with Protective field, I really don't have to heal myself. I can even choose to stand in "poo" at times and keep healing if needed. YMMV.

5) Powered Insulators. 4% DR. I should do the math on this now that I have a combat log.

6) Cure Mind. Who uses this regularly? When and for what?

7) Integrated Systems. 2% total + 2% personal...meh

8) Muzzle fluting. If we need to occasionally DPS like the PVP boss in EV, and during burn phases where no healing is needed, isn't this almost mandatory...especially for dailies, etc.

9) Systems Calibrations. See #2 above.

10) Custom Envir Suit. If you don't like alacrity, etc, you have to put the points somewhere....

Any other tree choices we should be considering?

1) Must have heat dump for those unfortunate times raid takes massive AOE damage and you need to spam heals (i.e., Toth engrage constant AOEs)

2) I am just starting to play around with mods. I have no problems with Alacricity and Critical Reaction. I would rather have it when needed then exchange for SPS as I don't have push back issues during boss fights and what little issues I have during dailies and trash pulls make SPS a waste of 2 points.

3) See 2 about lack of push back during raids.

4) I don't take. I only use the shield as part of specific tactics (EV NmM 1st Boss on 1st and 4th barrage, Snipe shield 2nd barrage, and balls to the walls healing on 3rd barrage). Additionally, I don't like to use KO when it may not be needed. I will use KO in conjunction with Emergency scan on the move for self heals, and Kolto Missile/Rapid shots for party if I have to move. Also see 2 about lack of push back during raids.

5) These two points are better spent in Protective Field for the The Bubble Heal reasons you stated above.

6) New content (LI/EC) have many debuffs that Cure Mind works on and the healing associated ensures that you don't waste a GCD with no healing output while curing.

7) Which equals 2% to a party member, 2% to you by another party member, or 4% self healing increase.

8) I have used specifically for NmM EV as you stated. However, with my 15ish/20ish activation speed I don't need for dailies and I have found that if I have little time to DPS bosses in EC (unless the put me on Firebrand then I have plenty of time but could imbalance bring the bosses down together).

9) See my note 2 above. I don't want to be slowed down if I really need to heal.

10) I have dropped the SC (9) for CES but like the Alc. I am actually dropping some of my endurance off now for more aim (61 Aim/44 End for 51 Aim/55 End Armor mods). Please note that I DO NOT PVP.

My 2 cents. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Asterin - 50 Merc Healer

Dark Reaper - ShadowRaven

My 2 cents. Hope this is what you were looking for.

You did an excellent job.

My hope is that more people will be as constructive and we can come to a consensus to use as the new 1.2 build in the builds thread linked in my Signature.

So lets see some more responses.