Current recommended darkness specs for pvp?

Makk

I've always ran as a madness assassin, but I find myself pretty much pvp'ing mostly and, while I love the madness spec, would like to try a darkness and/or hybrid (Amy of those still viable?).

What's the latest recommended pvp darkness spec?

personally i would drop the 2 points in premonition and put them into thrashing blades because, as i understand it, defensive rating isn't all that important for pvp. also if you do any pve at all (and who doesn't) i would drop the point in nerve wrack and get dark ward.

Can a darkness based build fill a spot, other than main tank, on pve?

Yes but you absolutely have to know where you can get away with attacking that other classes cannot via Force Shroud or your DPS will fall behind. For example you can pretty much melee through all of Gharj's pounces (FS one, tough out the other one, stay at 9m to avoid the second one) while other melee classes will back off for their safety, and this allows you to match their total DPS.

31/0/10 presents a lot of challenge for lazy tanks to handle in terms of aggro. Even in Lightning Charge, Wither generates a lot of aggro. 27/0/14 is easier for the tanks to handle since you don't have Wither.

31/0/10 presents a lot of challenge for lazy tanks to handle in terms of aggro. Even in Lightning Charge, Wither generates a lot of aggro. 27/0/14 is easier for the tanks to handle since you don't have Wither.

this is the biggest issue. you have to completely change your priority list if you want to call yourself a dps in pve. otherwise you are an off-tank until you get a second gear set for pve which will give you the survivability to be a main tank.

a solid way of getting 2 sets of gear is warzones for pvp gear and daily commendations for pve tanking gear. you might even find that the epic pve gear is more valuable for some situations like running the ball or defending an objective.

this is the biggest issue. you have to completely change your priority list if you want to call yourself a dps in pve. otherwise you are an off-tank until you get a second gear set for pve which will give you the survivability to be a main tank.

a solid way of getting 2 sets of gear is warzones for pvp gear and daily commendations for pve tanking gear. you might even find that the epic pve gear is more valuable for some situations like running the ball or defending an objective.

You should have two set of gear anyway just in case people want you to tank.

The bigger issue isn't the lack of DPS, it's that you generate too much aggro in 31/0/10 for lazy tanks due to Wither even if you use Lightning Charge. Honestly a good tank can keep aggro from you even while in Dark Charge in 31/0/10 but most tanks are lazy. Also, there are some fights where the mob wipes aggro on tank, and you'll get aggro except they'll think that's because you suck and don't know how to manage aggro, even though someone that's not the tank would've gotten aggro no matter what. Strangely, if you're a 'DPS', most people just assume you did too much damage and get aggro even on the same mechanism.

For example I had a fight where I held aggro almost the whole time as a DPS on Bonethrasher on Hard, but the tanks just complained I need to control aggro even though it's actually a very good thing if you can get Bonethrasher to focus on one guy the entire time.

Edited by Astarica

i was suggesting that getting too much aggro was the biggest problem as you said, if the main tank keeps guard on you and you keep guard on the DPSer this will not be as much of a problem. also i just read that "Nerve Wracking" allows not just you but your entire team to get 9% bonus damage on enemies that are spiked or stunned which, if true, makes it MUCH more valuable than i thought it was.

i was suggesting that getting too much aggro was the biggest problem as you said, if the main tank keeps guard on you and you keep guard on the DPSer this will not be as much of a problem. also i just read that "Nerve Wracking" allows not just you but your entire team to get 9% bonus damage on enemies that are spiked or stunned which, if true, makes it MUCH more valuable than i thought it was.

You can't guard someone else when you're being guarded. Really the tank should be guarding you but most people can't get pass the idea that you're guarding someone who is a DPS using tank abilities and will guard a DPS instead, even though pure DPS rarely needs the guard since all pure DPS spec have a way to lose aggro.

You can't guard someone else when you're being guarded. Really the tank should be guarding you but most people can't get pass the idea that you're guarding someone who is a DPS using tank abilities and will guard a DPS instead, even though pure DPS rarely needs the guard since all pure DPS spec have a way to lose aggro.

good call, i should have known that by now.