Rage builds

Rakaxs

I went with a 2/6/33. Anni. was the same, Carnage I picked up CoC, only 1 point in DWM (rage is a burst spec, the offhand dmg isn't worth the 2 points unless you're raiding and going for sustained), and 1 point in defensive roll, though I may find a floater later to fill that out if I find there is enough aoe to warrant it.

In the rage tree, I went with 1 point in malice as a filler. Honestly, it isn't worth filling out for rage, smash is already a 100% chance crit. I picked up enraged scream, interceptor and payback, and opted out of strangulate. I may end up dropping interceptor now that there is a 1 second root on obliterate, but I haven't gotten around to testing everything just yet, this is just preliminary.

Malice won't benefit smash, assuming you're picking up the talent to make it 100%, its just redundant. Force scream, force crush, force choke, and rupture (if you use it). Scream is a less effective filler than a talented VS, the only time I'll be using it is when I'm being kited. Worth 1 point to lower the rage cost, but 2 more points for only 4% crit chance? No way. As rage you're not going to be stacking crit in your gear, its going to be all power (though I put in a few surge pieces to bring me up to 70%~ crit multiplier, just below where DR really starts to kick in).

With VS criticals refunding rage now, it may be worth bumping up crit to 25%~ (talents bringing it up to 40% crit chance), but your bread and butter is and always will be your smashes. Smashes won't benefit from crit, so its wasted there, and more crit means less power.

edit: I would argue that this 2/2/31 is going to be the core of any smash build, leaving you 6 floaters. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bZ0MZRrRrzfRbfz.1

edit2: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bcZMMZRrRrzfRbfz.1 an alternate rage build, with more focus on VS and less on defense, with 1 floater. I'm tempted to try this out, as VS crits will be resource neutral.

Edited by AGoldCrayon

is the offhand saber bonus in carnage tree only in melee attacks? Seems like a huge increase but if its not being used with anything but melee attack then its not worth it

When servers come up, go count the amount of your skills that read "attacks with both lighstabers when dual wielding" and ask yourself this simple question:

"Why would I not want to increase my offhand damage for skills that use my offhand weapon?"

is the offhand saber bonus in carnage tree only in melee attacks? Seems like a huge increase but if its not being used with anything but melee attack then its not worth it

It works for both melee and force attacks. Here are some tooltip numbers for Force Scream (force damage) and Ravage (melee damage) after respeccing and NOT putting points in any skill box (all 41 skill points remaining).

Force Scream 1698-1768

Ravage 4025-4821

Now here are tooltip figures after only putting 3 points in Dual Weild Mastery (38 points remaining).

Force Scream 1731-1801

Ravage 4202-5052

These were the only 2 I checked as they were right next to each other on my bars but as you can see it does increase both damage types. Scream might have a weird modifier that uses a smaller portion of off hand damage which could be why the damage increase was low. If I get the chance, I'll do another respec and note other tooltip stats and list them here. In any case, the skill is very much worth it for any spec.

As far as Rage specs go, I went with a 5/5/31 build found here. I'm thinking of dropping Berserker for Interceptor as the 4 stack Shockwave feels redundant for my rotation. I'd rather have Force Crush/Choke cooldown reductions than a full stack of Shockwave. If Obliterate were on a much shorter CD I would definitely stick with Berserker. In the mean time I'll probably get better use out of the extra speed from Obliterate.

Edited by Werdan