The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech - Keeping aggro

Kruxxor

Heya guys, I am a level 50 Powertech tank, but one thing I've noticed that's different to my warrior is that I seem to have no skills that generate a high amount of threat.

So far I have tanked a few HM and some Ops (Normal and HM) and will every now and then lose aggro.

This is annoying if both my taunt and mass taunt are on cooldown, I seem to have no way of regaining aggro until either one cools down.

Anyone know what I can do to prevent this, or if there is a skill that does generate high threat, but doesn't mention it in the skill description?

Thank you.

Ive never had that issue expect when I was a fresh 50 and my friend who was in full columi Sorc DPS would go all out, taunts were my only saving grace when Id loose aggro Id taunt. In full Columi with my highest threat guarded, normally the warrior I roll with I put off enough threat not to loose aggro. You should be telling you DPS to CC things also...CC is the best damage mitigation there is if theyre not able to do any damage because theyre CCd. Also Stun locking things is another good thing to do. What kinda gear are you in and what is your spec looking like?

My spec atm is 32/7/2

Grapple is good and all, but it doesn't work on Champions or Boss'.

My gear is almost full Columi, just missing the belt.

My weapon is the Centurion PVP Pistol

How does generating threat work? Is it whoever hits the mob more gets threat, or whoever hits hardest?

also dont let your DPS run ahead and start the fights always be the first in there, and ahead of the group, lead the team, tell them who you want CC'd and attack order. Know what needs to go down first. U should be on the champion they should be burning down the weaker guys then on the champ.

For every point of damage you deal to an NPC, you gain 1 threat (let's say). For every heal you cast on a friendly who is engaged in combat with an NPC, you gain 1/2 threat or something.

With Ion Gas Cylinder, you gain 2 threat per damage dealt thanks to the 100% threat increase. Thus, so long as you are doing at least 50% of the DPS of your highest damage dealer in your group, you are guaranteed to not lose aggro.

When mobs CC you they do tend to drop aggro on you so you do need to taunt and what not, but if you find yourself blowing taunts every 15 seconds on the same target your damage rotation is at fault.

As a Shieldtech your priority rotation should be as follows:

Death from Above (if AOEing or against a very tough fairly stationary target such as almost every boss)

Rocket Punch (this gets refreshed a lot, always use it ASAP)

Explosive Dart (if AOEing)

Unload

Rail Shot

Flame Sweep (if AOEing)

Flame Burst

Heat Blast (when Heat is greater than 40)

Rapid Shots (when Heat is greater than 40)

For the most part this rotation stays solid in 1.2 as well even though your shield absorb will be based off your Flame Burst spam, but the abilities listed above should be used on cooldown, Heat-willing, to maximize your threat in both single target and AOE situations.

Edited by Mapex