Going with the light/dark impacts on gameplay forward?

AlexNOSAM

Hi,

I just started playing yesterday. This aspect of choosing (in quests) decisions that go with the light/dark isn't very clear to me yet. What impact does it have in the late game on my character? And what if, say, I'm playing in the Republic side and I make dark side choices (on purpose) or vice versa? I mean going all the way with one route must have benefits, even though it may be opposed to your faction's values.

Care to explain?

And by the way I wasn't sure where to post this. This forum kinda looks like what this question may belong to...

Some relics have ds/ls requirements and some weapons, though you can just take the mods out of the weapon and put them in one with no restrictions. You also get titles based on it. Honestly though, if you care about the story and stuff, don't try to max one side, just choose what suits you in every situation because there are plenty of relics with no restrictions and the ones you can use aren't a requirement in anything.

EDIT: Story-wise, it depends on your class how stuff impacts the story.

Edited by Jandi

The previous poster is correct. There are 2 aspects of DS/LS alignment, one is just mechanical, the other is story.

Game Mechanic: Certain weapons and relics require certain alignments. However, it doesn't really matter, as I've seen equivalent items for both. A vendor will have the "Virtuous Force Battler Lightsaber" (requires Light III) and the "Vile Force Battler Lightsaber" (requires Dark III). The stats are the same on both. Or, as stated, if its a moddable item you can always remove the mods and use them elsewhere, regardless of whether you meet the alignment requirements of the original item.

Also, if you start racking up the darkside points, it will change your appearance, a la the Emperor in the movies. There is a toggle in the social tab of the preferences menu to turn this aspect on or off. Default is on, and you end up pretty creepy looking by DS V. There is no change to your appearance if you go lightside.

Story: This is where it gets interesting. Most of the DS/LS choices affect how the NPC reacts to you (and of course grant you points). Note that is is possible to irritate an NPC in conversation so that he won't give you his mission, and it had nothing to do with DS/LS. I've had 2 NPCs do this, one on Ord Mantell, and the other on Voss. They seem to be pretty rare though. Otherwise it mainly changes their conversation with you, but you still complete the mission.

Most of the major changes are with the choices you make in your class story. You will always progress through your story; you won't stop at say level 20 because you made a DS choice. But the details of your story will be different from someone else's depending on how you played your character.

The best examples I can come up with for how this works (without major story spoilers) are the two intro Flashpoint missions:

Black Talon (Empire)

Esseles (Republic)

The "Behind the Scenes" section explains both ways (DS/LS) players can complete the missions. Obviously avoid the links if you don't want any spoilers at all.

Best advice? Play your character the way you want to. Don't just try to max out one alignment or the other. As far as mechanics go, it doesn't really matter, as there are ways to equip your character regardless of alignment.