What specs are good for what

Jenosyde

im just trying to figure out , i know ones good AOE , ones good single target and CDs. and ones DoTs/ self and party heals any help may help me pick a spec to lvl with so please feel free to help a nub founder status toon

play around with them, we cant tell you which one you like

all 3 are good for leveling

and it seems you already know the basic style of each spec

so try em out

no you seemed to have misread. i DONT know what the basics of each spec are, not did i ask for someone to tell me one id like, i did howeverm ask what specs are good for what such as aoeing, single target dps, whatever.... and maybe some of the negative things about each soec

From what I've seen:

Anni is the DoT/Self healing tree. You DoT your target and then RE-Dot them when those run out, weaving in hard hitting abilities when possible.

Carnage is a proc tree. You're reliant on getting procs to happen and taking advantage of those procs for bursts of damage.

Rage is also a proc based tree, only it's more controlled than Carnage. Meaning you can control when your procs happen. At the same time, however, DPS drops dramatically the longer the fight is, whereas Carnage stays fairly constant. Rage has the strongest AoE.

All three specs do good damage and all three can do well in PvP in the right hands.

Edited by Faolon

Rage is also a proc based tree, only it's more controlled than Carnage. Meaning you can control when your procs happen. At the same time, however, DPS drops dramatically the longer the fight is, whereas Carnage stays fairly constant. Rage has the strongest AoE.

Rage is more controlled than carnage? No not at all. Carnage can burst faster than rage and almost just as hard. Carnage also has more than just one hard hitting ability that. Pulling off 4800 crit screams and 2500 massacres is pretty nice.

Carnage while leveling is pretty meh because your 100% crit force scream is reliant on an ataru proc which is only 20% on melee hits. The tree doesn't shine, then again NONE of the mara trees do, till level 40 when you can massacre for the ataru proc and scream your head off (or if you get lucky leap get the ataru proc and scream).

Rage is more controlled than carnage? No not at all. Carnage can burst faster than rage and almost just as hard. Carnage also has more than just one hard hitting ability that. Pulling off 4800 crit screams and 2500 massacres is pretty nice.

Carnage while leveling is pretty meh because your 100% crit force scream is reliant on an ataru proc which is only 20% on melee hits. The tree doesn't shine, then again NONE of the mara trees do, till level 40 when you can massacre for the ataru proc and scream your head off (or if you get lucky leap get the ataru proc and scream).

Can you control when your procs happen? No, you can't.

You need your Ataru form to proc so you can get your 100% crit scream off. That isn't something you can press a button to cause. You can increase your chances of having it pop, but you can't make it pop.

Rage, on the other hand, CAN make it proc.

Force Choke and Crush both increase the damage of Smash. They don't have a chance to do it, THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME. Charge and Obliterate have a 100% chance to proc the 100% crit Smash.

Hence, Rage's procs are more controlled than Carnage's.

Can you control when your procs happen?

Have you read the way carnage procs work?

Bloodfrenzy procs on ataru for him, while bloodfrenzy is active your force scream has 100% crit chance, Massacre automatically procs and ataru form hit.

No, you can't.

Yes you can.

You need your Ataru form to proc so you can get your 100% crit scream off. That isn't something you can press a button to cause. You can increase your chances of having it pop, but you can't make it pop.

Go read the tool tip for Massacre plese.

Rage, on the other hand, CAN make it proc.

Which takes what 3-4 seconds to wait to do? Your burst set up time is longer than carnages.

Force Choke and Crush both increase the damage of Smash. They don't have a chance to do it, THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME. Charge and Obliterate have a 100% chance to proc the 100% crit Smash.

Hence, Rage's procs are more controlled than Carnage's.

No you're straight up wrong and look at my responses in blue.

Carnage and Rage both offer controlled burst. Rage's burst is slightly more back loaded, but has higher potential (4.8k screams are nice, but my highest smash breaks 6k, and 2.5k massacres are about on par with my obliterate crits), and as for sustainability, I find it on par with Carnage, at least for pvp. The only fights where I start worrying about whether my smash rotation CD's will start impacting the fight are good tankassins and good trooper healers.

The biggest differences between Rage and Carnage are the single target v multiple, and control v mobility. Carnage offers a little more control in a fight with the roots, but Rage edges out on mobility with 100% predation uptime and obliterate as a 2nd gap closer (that isn't affected by cover mechanics). Some of this will be subject to change in 1.2.

I find that Carnage is a little too squishy for my play style, and offers less in the way of pressuring guarded healers, but by no means is it a bad spec.

no you seemed to have misread. i DONT know what the basics of each spec are, not did i ask for someone to tell me one id like, i did howeverm ask what specs are good for what such as aoeing, single target dps, whatever.... and maybe some of the negative things about each soec

...i know ones good AOE , ones good single target and CDs. and ones DoTs/ self and party heals ...

thats the gist of it right there, now if you know this much, but dont know which is which ... rage / carnage / annihilation, respectively

and there is still a very detailed sticky on the top of the marauder forum

and while it may be "old" the changes that have been made since 1.1 (or even since release for that matter) havent had any impact on the style of each spec, and have had little impact on the relative strengths and weaknesses of each spec, so the "old" information is still perfectly applicable

nobody really wants to rewrite a 4 post description of the class when one is sitting there for all to see, so read up and if you have specific questions afterwards come back and ask them, youll get many more quality responses if you ask a more specific question

gear is different so understad if you roll Carnage or rage you should be stat prority

Str>Acc 100/110>power>surge>crit

Anni is Str>acy100/110>crit>surge>power

And yes it will make a huge difference so suggesting you lvl to 30 or 40 then swapping will cost you credits or you will be not seeing the full offerings of the tree.

Just something to think about.

gear is different so understad if you roll Carnage or rage you should be stat prority

Str>Acc 100/110>power>surge>crit

Anni is Str>acy100/110>crit>surge>power

And yes it will make a huge difference so suggesting you lvl to 30 or 40 then swapping will cost you credits or you will be not seeing the full offerings of the tree.

Just something to think about.

Not sure about carnage, but for rage I am going to disagree about stat priority. Move acc to the back with crit, and move surge in front of power (up to 70% modifier). Charge, choke and crush don't rely on acc at all, and you still get the crit buff from obliterate even if the ability is parried or dodged. I'm sitting at 96.xx% acc atm and have 0 issues with landing anything.