Force Learning Curve

DrFaroohk

Seems a little screwy sometimes. I'm playing a consular right now, and have found this twilek guy who apparently, after watching a brief little movie about a jedi, now has the power to collapse a cave (doesn't another jedi master say it takes like 40 years of training to be able to do that?)

Seems like some people can pick it up just like that and others train their whole lives and never get it. I don't know how long luke was with yoda but even he seemed to go way beyond his potential, enough to resist sidious and put up a good fight against vader (even if vader let him win).

That'd be like watching a bruce lee movie and then being able to beat up a bunch of ninja kung fu karate masters wouldn't it? lol...I wish I could learn as fast as these guys!

Seems a little screwy sometimes. I'm playing a consular right now, and have found this twilek guy who apparently, after watching a brief little movie about a jedi, now has the power to collapse a cave (doesn't another jedi master say it takes like 40 years of training to be able to do that?)

Seems like some people can pick it up just like that and others train their whole lives and never get it. I don't know how long luke was with yoda but even he seemed to go way beyond his potential, enough to resist sidious and put up a good fight against vader (even if vader let him win).

That'd be like watching a bruce lee movie and then being able to beat up a bunch of ninja kung fu karate masters wouldn't it? lol...I wish I could learn as fast as these guys!

The Twilek guy's hatred overwhelms his reason. It doesn't occur to him that he shouldn't be able to collapse a cave mere weeks (or however long it was) after learning about the Force, because he's not rational.

Luke, by contrast, was held back by his experience and knowledge. As Yoda says, "You must unlearn what you have learned" I suspect that's a big reason that the Jedi prefer younger students; it's easier to draw out a kid's force potential when he hasn't been told all his life that what the Force can do is impossible.

And yes, Luke does achieve great things in the movies; I'm just trying to explain (rationalize) the vast difference between his outward Force ability in the films and the feats achieved by our Twilek friend. (And the difference between Luke's film ability and his near-god-like ability later on, in EU continuity.)

Edited by Invictos

Well, for one, he draws on the dark side of the force when he performs these feats. On top of that, no one knows just how long he really has been learning. He is a hermit by nature as he rarely even visits the village except when he is needed. Just as well, never underestimate just what kind of knowledge a holocron contains. The Neckghouls after all were able to learn to use the force, and I doubt they can even understand Basic.

Besides, if he is able to learn so quickly, he is probably naturally strong in the force, so it wouldn't be surprising he could perform some feats unnaturally quickly.

It's allot like the Martix, it depends on how "free your mind" is.

The Force can do anything, it is omnipotent deity of the SW universe.

People who can control the force therefore can do anything too, but they are limited by both there own connection to the force and more importantly and what they believe/understand is possible

Luke: I don't believe it. Yoda: That is why you fail.

If you know you can bring down a cave, you can.

Edited by AngelousWang