My Beef With Orange Items...

Mackuss

Perhaps the armor is set or increased based on the level of the item. If that's the case, once you find a level 50 items, you'll be able to stick with that until the level cap is raised in a future expansion, I would assume.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a artifice I have my original light saber completely pimped out. Its far better than any purple or blue I could find. Orange items can and will be equivalent to the highest level items in the world. I promise you that. You just have to mod them correctly. I don't think you fully understand the system.

If you change the hilt/armor plating the ratings of your orange peice will in fact jump up. I'll post images if I can ever get into the game. Sitting in the que right now.

Edited by Nmaharg

I had a similar issue as the OP. My orange armor had ~28 base armor and I couldn't figure out how it could compete with my current armor (even modded). Then I put it on and suddenly 28 became 240 when I moused over. I don't know if there is a funky display glitch or what, but it made me do a double-take for sure.

There seem to be several item-related display glitches. I have +3 Power/Crit items, for example, that only give +2 on the score sheet (unless in some weird Bioware world 3=2).

Put the item on (with mods) and see if it updates the base stats. Worse that can happen is you're out a little gold as you take the mods back out and sell the orange, but it may surprise you.

It is possible that the armor value is based on the level of the item. Now what you have to remember with this is that the level of the item will change to the highest required level of any mod in it. If I was you, I would try taking the level 15 mod out of the level 15 item and try putting into the level 9 one (which will change the required level to 15 as well) and see what happens.

I would assume the level 15 component is the enhancement, not the armor.

Edited by lueckjathom

He is saying the bloody armor doesn't SCALE!

I was under the impression as the OP, that any orange item can be kept throughout the game because every statistic it has will scale as new mods are placed in it. (yes most of the stats scale, but the base armor value for it will not)

example:

Item has 3 mods (who cares what they are)

It has a base armor value of 50. Take every mod out and the number on the item is still 50.

Put back every mod, while the rating went up, the base armor did not.

For me to keep that item throughout the game I need that 50 armor number to change as the mods change.

He is saying the bloody armor doesn't SCALE!

I was under the impression as the OP, that any orange item can be kept throughout the game because every statistic it has will scale as new mods are placed in it. (yes most of the stats scale, but the base armor value for it will not)

example:

Item has 3 mods (who cares what they are)

It has a base armor value of 50. Take every mod out and the number on the item is still 50.

Put back every mod, while the rating went up, the base armor did not.

For me to keep that item throughout the game I need that 50 armor number to change as the mods change.

IT DOES!!

that screenshot he provideed shows an item with a purple mod and an armor rating of next to nothing. my point is i bet that armor had never been worn, which seems to correct the number to make it accurate.

Perhaps the armor is set or increased based on the level of the item. If that's the case, once you find a level 50 items, you'll be able to stick with that until the level cap is raised in a future expansion, I would assume.

But what I'm saying is that that alone defeats the purpose of orange items. They should have just kept it the way it was in BETA - where purples and blues were moddable. Right now it's the exact same thing. Orange has no real status above other colors.

As a artifice I have my original light saber completely pimped out. Its far better than any purple or blue I could find. Orange items can and will be equivalent to the highest level items in the world. I promise you that. You just have to mod them correctly. I don't think you fully understand the system.

If you change the hilt/armor plating the ratings of your orange peice will in fact jump up. I'll post images if I can ever get into the game. Sitting in the que right now.

Are you not understanding? lol I KNOW the armor rating changes....but the ARMOR does NOT

IT DOES!!

that screenshot he provideed shows an item with a purple mod and an armor rating of next to nothing. my point is i bet that armor had never been worn, which seems to correct the number to make it accurate.

....what? They both had the exact same armor rating.......different base armor value....

I really don't think you understand this.

....what? They both had the exact same armor rating.......different base armor value....

I really don't think you understand this.

yes, but to get it to show accurate numbers you need to wear the thing.

like i'm wishing i could do with the ribcages of several people!

While I can't explain it exactly, what the OP is failing to understand is that even though other mods aren't Armor-based, they still contribute to the total amount of armor a piece will have.

Judging by the screenshot, because the Mod and Enhancement slots are open, and the Panther Jacket is 6 levels higher, it will have lower armor until you slot them. You can test this out, by placing any mod in there to see the resulting increase in armor.

We don't know what the actual calculation is for this, but I had a similar issue as the OP. I found a newer un-slotted chestpiece that has much less armor even though I had Armor Plating installed. But once I installed items into the Mod and Enhancement slots, it became more effective and significantly better.

This is something that Bioware needs to break down and explain in detail so players can understand how to better use the system. But safe to say, if you use all the slots, you will end up with better armor, as long as the Rating is the same and the level is higher.

Edited by Geekcheck

While I can't explain it exactly, what the OP is failing to understand is that even though other mods aren't Armor-based, they still contribute to the total amount of armor a piece will have.

Judging by the screenshot, because the Mod and Enhancement slots are open, and the Panther Jacket is 6 levels higher, it will have lower armor until you slot them. You can test this out, by placing any mod in there to see the resulting increase in armor.

We don't know what the actual calculation is for this, but I had a similar issue as the OP. I found a newer un-slotted chestpiece that has much less armor even though I had Armor Plating installed. But once I installed items into the Mod and Enhancement slots, it became more effective and significantly better.

This is something that Bioware needs to break down and explain in detail so players can understand how to better use the system. But safe to say, if you use all the slots, you will end up with better armor, as long as the Rating is the same and the level is higher.

hence why i asked for a screenshot with either no mods on either, or identical mods on both.

why is it peeple can simultaneously ask for help, yet think they know better than the people they are asking?

thats a form of madness i dont understand....

Edited by mightygaz

hence why i asked for a screenshot with either no mods on either, or identical mods on both.

why is it peeple can simultaneously ask for help, yet think they know better than the people they are asking?

thats a form of madness i dont understand....

I hear ya. I just think the OP overlooked the Level of the item and didn't realize that all the mods contribute to Armor.

i am not a patient person. the most generous description of me would not describe me as such. yet i am trying here.

i will keep my true reaction to all this under wraps and present the moderated version to the board.

Edited by mightygaz

Ok, I was away for the last few pages of the conversation, but I think I know of two possible issues that are occurring here, based upon the screens and what the OP has been saying.

First, there has been a very long running "bug" in which item tooltips don't update properly until an item is equipped or the game has been exited and reloaded. It was around in the July beta build, and actually seemed to be the "rule" of that build, and existed at varying degrees in subsequent builds. I was hoping it had been squashed for launch.

Second, though both armoring mods are purple (10) mods, they could be different. You may have verified the specific mods as actually being the same, but that can't be seen in the screens, so I figured I'd mention it.

I'm inclined, though, to think that it is the first issue.

*Edit: Also, I highly recommend that anyone interested in using the moding system enable the detailed tooltips and detailed companion tooltips in the preferences. It makes comparisons much easier.

Edited by Vodalus

Ok, I was away for the last few pages of the conversation, but I think I know of two possible issues that are occurring here, based upon the screens and what the OP has been saying.

First, there has been a very long running "bug" in which item tooltips don't update properly until an item is equipped or the game has been exited and reloaded. It was around in the July beta build, and actually seemed to be the "rule" of that build, and existed at varying degrees in subsequent builds. I was hoping it had been squashed for launch.

Second, though both armoring mods are purple (10) mods, they could be different. You may have verified the specific mods as actually being the same, but that can't be seen in the screens, so I figured I'd mention it.

I'm inclined, though, to think that it is the first issue.

they are not different, they both have (10) next to them, which is the item level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.