Shield & Absorption Rating

nylonshred

I play a Juggernaut (tank) and I have been trying to figure out the best use of Defense and shield/absorption.

I've been going to this site http://swttor.blogspot.com/2012/02/guides-shield-versus-defense.html to try and figure out all the math and for the best results.

As I stand right now my stats are:

Defense Rating = 290

Shield Raiting = 207

Absorption Raiting = 127

So I'm trying to find the "Sweet Spot" which the site above gave examples of:

Sweet spot at ~300 total points spent (180 absorption, 120 shield rating)

Sweet spot at ~400 total points spent (230 absorption, 170 shield rating)

Sweet spot at ~500 total points spent (270 absorption, 230 shield rating)

Part 2 of my question is under shield Chance/absorption there is Skills/Buffs.

Under Shield Chance my Skills/Buffs = +4.00%

First off, what does that mean? Skills/Buffs that is.

Secondly, under Shield Absorption my Skills/Buffs = -0.00% and is in red.

So if I take a piece of gear off that has Shield Chance its still at 0.00% but turns green.

Does that mean when I get my stats to around the "Sweet Spot it will all even out or am I missing something?

Sorry if I'm making any of this confusing, and appreciate the help! :D

I just added a 30 end 39 shield and 15 absorption enhancement and the Skills/buffs shot up from 4 too +19.00% but the Skills/buffs of shield absorption is still at -0.00%

How do I up the shield absorption skills/buffs and what does it mean?

Defense = chance to avoid an attack. Dodge/Parry/Evade etc.

Shield = chance to "block" an attack with your imaginary offhand.

Absorb = how much damage is "blocked"

I guess generally speaking, your goal is to achieve around 26% Def, and 38% Shield and Absorb. This won't be possible without several augment slots.

To enable the Shield/Absorb you have to enter Soresu Form, and equip a Shield Generator (a +Strength/Endurance offhand that says it has 5% Shield and 20% Absorb on it. There are offhands that have more Strength and no Shield/Absorb, you don't want those).

Edited by Arlanon

Yes, I understand all that.

What I am trying to figure out is the purpose of Skills/Buffs and if that has any importance as far as gearing and what it means.

I have I have more Shield rating than I do Absorption rating, 246 - Shield and 164 Absorption.

And by the looks of it the less Shield rating I have the better the Skills/Buffs of Absorption gets. Absorption was 0.00 in red but now that I replaced Shield rating with more Defense it turned green.

Yes, I understand all that.

What I am trying to figure out is the purpose of Skills/Buffs and if that has any importance as far as gearing and what it means.

I have I have more Shield rating than I do Absorption rating, 246 - Shield and 164 Absorption.

And by the looks of it the less Shield rating I have the better the Skills/Buffs of Absorption gets. Absorption was 0.00 in red but now that I replaced Shield rating with more Defense it turned green.

The skills/buffs entry is the bonus you have to that stat from points you've spent in your skill tree and from buffs. The reason you can't get that above 0 is because Juggs don't have any skills or buffs that affect absorption. You should have 2.00 on the skills/buffs for shield chance from Shield Specialization, but that's about it.