The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Highest Threat Abilities

xenodein

What abilities give the highest threat? I'm not having trouble keeping aggro as a PT, but I feel like tanking is very clunky, at least early on (I'm only level 20). We don't have a "charge" like ability that let's us get into a giant group of people quickly like other classes. It seems like Jet Pack offers this but it's deep into the talent tree and other classes already have this capability.

Not sure exactly the most effective way to pull. Half of the abilities I have are range, and the other are melee. I've been pulling with Missile Blast for the AOE and explosive dart, and then try to make my way over to be in melee range so abilities like rocket punch, flamethrower, oil slick, etc.

If melee abilities gives the highest threat, but I will stop ranged pulling and run in first before pulling.

Like I said, not having trouble yet, but these are easy instances that don't require much skill and I want to be way more efficient. I feel like i'm just spamming my abilities right now and doing ok.

Also, looking at other people's specs, it seems like a lot of people are skipping the 3 endurance talents. I thought this could be worthwhile for the hp, but maybe its just cause the 3% increase is just not worth it.

http://swtorshieldtech.blogspot.com/2011/12/tanking-in-twenties-hammer-station-and.html

I just wrote a short post about tanking early on in the game.

Don't use Missile Blast. It is extremely heat inefficient and provides low AoE damage as well. Use Explosive Dart, Flamethrower, and single target attacks to hold AoE aggro before you get Flame Sweep.

Without any stated increased threat on an ability, its threat is directly based off the damage it does.

Integrated Cardio Package gives very low returns for three skill points. Generally people feel there are better places to spend those points, especially right next to it in Iron Fist.

• 2 weeks later...
What abilities give the highest threat? I'm not having trouble keeping aggro as a PT, but I feel like tanking is very clunky, at least early on (I'm only level 20). We don't have a "charge" like ability that let's us get into a giant group of people quickly like other classes. It seems like Jet Pack offers this but it's deep into the talent tree and other classes already have this capability.

Pulling gets better when you get Grapple and Jet Charge. You should be about to get Grapple, I think Jet Charge isn't till like 30 or 31. Grapple the biggest elite that isn't being CC'd to you. Rocket punch, rail shot, flame burst, and immediately switch to any other adds that aren't on you and unload or missile one so it gets on you. No reason anyone should be attacking anything but your target if they cannot "tank" it themselves...

Point being that after initial aggro on whatever is to be burned down or kept off people, make sure that you get aggro on the other stuff so as many things as possible are on you. Also use flamesweep when mobs are grouped together, but don't spam it cause it has no cool down and heat will build up fast.

Not sure exactly the most effective way to pull. Half of the abilities I have are range, and the other are melee. I've been pulling with Missile Blast for the AOE and explosive dart, and then try to make my way over to be in melee range so abilities like rocket punch, flamethrower, oil slick, etc.

We're a Melee tank, period. Sure we have ranged abilities, flame burst and rocket punch are melee abilities and 2 of our best abilities (and later heat blast which is also close range). Also you should not be using oil slick outside of bosses or extremely hard hitting elites or a very lengthy fight. It just isn't worth the heat IMHO.

If melee abilities gives the highest threat, but I will stop ranged pulling and run in first before pulling.

Like I said, not having trouble yet, but these are easy instances that don't require much skill and I want to be way more efficient. I feel like i'm just spamming my abilities right now and doing ok.

Also, looking at other people's specs, it seems like a lot of people are skipping the 3 endurance talents. I thought this could be worthwhile for the hp, but maybe its just cause the 3% increase is just not worth it.

You will get a taunt ability soon (it's some kind of missle), and you grapple is also a high threat ability. You'll also get an AOE taunt later on around 35ish.

3 endurance isn't in the tank tree. I would stick to the tank tree till you max that out at 40 and then go play with the other trees.

Edited by DjasPuhr