The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Questions about Juggs, need some help!

SabreNova

After I get my legacy on my Slinger I'm going to be playing my Jugg, so I was thinking of making him a Tank/DPS specced Jugg. As far as builds go here, I'm TOTALLY lost. Can someone show me what a basic Tank/DPS build would look like (which trees do I climb and how far up the trees)? I want good survivability, but decent DPS as well (more so damage then tanking, but enough tanking to take hits easily and live, using healer if necessary, if that makes sense). Any help would be appreciated!

Also, at what level do Juggs get "good" at PvP? I'm coming from a ranged class, on which I did really well even at like level 11. My fall back was Powertech in case the Jugg doesn't work out, but when do Juggs begin to get good at PvP?

Thanks!

Edited by SabreNova

After I get my legacy on my Slinger I'm going to be playing my Jugg, so I was thinking of making him a Tank/DPS specced Jugg. As far as builds go here, I'm TOTALLY lost. Can someone show me what a basic Tank/DPS build would look like (which trees do I climb and how far up the trees)? I want good survivability, but decent DPS as well (more so damage then tanking, but enough tanking to take hits easily and live, using healer if necessary, if that makes sense). Any help would be appreciated!

Also, at what level do Juggs get "good" at PvP? I'm coming from a ranged class, on which I did really well even at like level 11. My fall back was Powertech in case the Jugg doesn't work out, but when do Juggs begin to get good at PvP?

Thanks!

tough question to answer Sabre. you got allot of variables in there, q big mixture of tanking and DPS wants. One of the main problems with Juggs is as you delve deeper into the tanking tree, you really start to see your DPS slow down.

the mid 30's is when the specs really start to shine. That's about where Vengeance gets impale (main damage ability) with its bleeds, rage fills out their heavy hitting AoE abilities, and immortal really starts to see their mitigation go up...as well as getting their crowning Cc abilities.

problem is, that's also the point that you have to decide which direction you want to go, as you don't have enough talent points to be able to spec that deep into 2 trees. So it's one or the other.

From the perspective of your desires, I'd say vengeance is a good alternative. It has very good PvE dps, and many damage mitigation skills as well. Plus, if you don't spec all the way into that tree, you can put the extra points into immortal, to get more survivability. the vengeance/immortal hybrid is actually a very popular pre-hardmode PvE tanking spec.

Here's an example of a DPS hybrid (very basic, just threw it together):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101fRMMu0MZIrMoMuzd.1

more DPS oriented, but takes advantage of many of the defensive talents early in the immortal tree. But it is focused around the use of the Shien form, so you'd lose a bunch of DPS by switching to Soresu for tanking.

You could drop impale and Shien form, and put extra points into immortal to get high enough to use backhand and Force grip, which would increase your control skills dramatically. you would lose the extra DPS from Shien and impale though, which at that point it may just be better to work your way up to crushing blow in the immortal tree. but now were getting into a more traditional tanking spec, which isn't know for it's high damage.

Your real best bet is to go full Vengeance, and take all the defensive talents you can in that tree. Then you can rely on your backup to heal you, and your taunts to keep aggro. I find that when i play full Vengance, as long as the other DPS didn't get a leg up on me due to burst damage, I can use a combination of taunts and sheer DPS to keep the attention of the mob I'm hitting.

Here's a "defensive" build i use in solo PvE:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101fMhZIGMRMudd0R.1

All i did was take a few points off of the classic vengeance spec and move them into defensive talents. the accuracy reduction and defensive bonus help towards mitigating damage while your still in your DPS form. and your going to do enough damage to keep up for the most part with other DPS. throw your taunts in on CD, and you should be OK.

keep in mind that this is a "defensive DPS" spec, not a tanking spec with extra DPS. Juggs simply don't have that option atm. The minute you switch out of Shien form, you lose a ton of DPS via rage loss as well as the simply lack of the extra damage in form (12% extra damage to be precise). You will be able to switch over to Soresu, but in all honesty (I run often with a few dps in my guild doing heroics), I find it easier to just stay in Shien form and use the taunts to offset other dps who may pull aggro.

and one last caveat (for those who may misinterpret my direction with this advice). This is NOT a tanking spec. this is a damage spec that subs out a few dps skills for a few well placed and advantageous mitigation skills.

now that all thats said and done...don't forget that you have some pretty powerful DPS companions available. You could easily run a traditional immortal build, as an example, and gear up vette through the teeth. I've seen her plow through silvers faster then I could at times. Just because you are a tank doesn't mean you can't kill fast.

Edit: Sry, forgot your question on PvP. read up on Schwarzwald's thread for a great discussion on tanky PvP. It's probably your best choice if you want all 3 worlds. but your PvE DPS will suck b @ll$.

Edited by Elyx

tough question to answer Sabre. you got allot of variables in there, q big mixture of tanking and DPS wants. One of the main problems with Juggs is as you delve deeper into the tanking tree, you really start to see your DPS slow down.

the mid 30's is when the specs really start to shine. That's about where Vengeance gets impale (main damage ability) with its bleeds, rage fills out their heavy hitting AoE abilities, and immortal really starts to see their mitigation go up...as well as getting their crowning Cc abilities.

problem is, that's also the point that you have to decide which direction you want to go, as you don't have enough talent points to be able to spec that deep into 2 trees. So it's one or the other.

From the perspective of your desires, I'd say vengeance is a good alternative. It has very good PvE dps, and many damage mitigation skills as well. Plus, if you don't spec all the way into that tree, you can put the extra points into immortal, to get more survivability. the vengeance/immortal hybrid is actually a very popular pre-hardmode PvE tanking spec.

Here's an example of a DPS hybrid (very basic, just threw it together):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101fRMMu0MZIrMoMuzd.1

more DPS oriented, but takes advantage of many of the defensive talents early in the immortal tree. But it is focused around the use of the Shien form, so you'd lose a bunch of DPS by switching to Soresu for tanking.

You could drop impale and Shien form, and put extra points into immortal to get high enough to use backhand and Force grip, which would increase your control skills dramatically. you would lose the extra DPS from Shien and impale though, which at that point it may just be better to work your way up to crushing blow in the immortal tree. but now were getting into a more traditional tanking spec, which isn't know for it's high damage.

Your real best bet is to go full Vengeance, and take all the defensive talents you can in that tree. Then you can rely on your backup to heal you, and your taunts to keep aggro. I find that when i play full Vengance, as long as the other DPS didn't get a leg up on me due to burst damage, I can use a combination of taunts and sheer DPS to keep the attention of the mob I'm hitting.

Here's a "defensive" build i use in solo PvE:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101fMhZIGMRMudd0R.1

All i did was take a few points off of the classic vengeance spec and move them into defensive talents. the accuracy reduction and defensive bonus help towards mitigating damage while your still in your DPS form. and your going to do enough damage to keep up for the most part with other DPS. throw your taunts in on CD, and you should be OK.

keep in mind that this is a "defensive DPS" spec, not a tanking spec with extra DPS. Juggs simply don't have that option atm. The minute you switch out of Shien form, you lose a ton of DPS via rage loss as well as the simply lack of the extra damage in form (12% extra damage to be precise). You will be able to switch over to Soresu, but in all honesty (I run often with a few dps in my guild doing heroics), I find it easier to just stay in Shien form and use the taunts to offset other dps who may pull aggro.

and one last caveat (for those who may misinterpret my direction with this advice). This is NOT a tanking spec. this is a damage spec that subs out a few dps skills for a few well placed and advantageous mitigation skills.

now that all thats said and done...don't forget that you have some pretty powerful DPS companions available. You could easily run a traditional immortal build, as an example, and gear up vette through the teeth. I've seen her plow through silvers faster then I could at times. Just because you are a tank doesn't mean you can't kill fast.

Edit: Sry, forgot your question on PvP. read up on Schwarzwald's thread for a great discussion on tanky PvP. It's probably your best choice if you want all 3 worlds. but your PvE DPS will suck b @ll$.

First of all, thanks a lot. Both builds seem nice to run, though I may take the first one with 5 tiered Vengance and 4 tiered Immortal with 1 point in the 5th. I have 2 friends who are a Sorc and Sniper respectivly, so I was thinking how best to help them out while also being able to take out the enemies with ease, both in PvP and PvE. I was planning on using that Quinn dude once I got him for healing, though I may keep Vette depending on how I find her to be on Dormund Kaas and Ballmorra. Also, I'm planning to start/get into my Jugg again around when 1.2 hits (probably a bit before it, but I'd like to keep 1.2 in mind). Would you suggest any edits to the build? I think by then I can figure it out, but some heads up is always nice if possible. I'll probably work up the Vengance tree till Impale, then switch over to Immortal since Invincible looks really good.

Would it be viable if I were to take 2 points out of Heavy Handed on the Immortal Tree and put those 2 points into the Rage Tree's Ravager skill? I'd be giving up an increased Shield Chance of 4% for it, so I'm not sure if it'd be viable at all.

On a side note, how is the story for the warrior? I'm planning on going pure DS if at all possible, minimizing LS as much as possible. I heard its good, but its better to hear from those who have played it (I'm assuming you have, forgive me if I am mistaken!). And do you personally run either of these builds? Who is your companion of choice?

(Still fairly new to the game, so please forgive me for asking a million questions)

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by SabreNova