Mods

Defiant_One

Hello everyone-

I am trying to figure out which mods needs to be changed. Mainly looking at the PVP side of things. Currently wearing Champ gear (valor 63) but upgrading as soon as I get the commendations. I am wondering if any of the mods in BM gear need to be changed? What is a good % of surge/power/ect.

Thanks for your input.

Honestly I would just hold off on changing any of your BM gear when you get it.

It's been stated that if you mod your BM gear it won't get upgraded when 1.2 rolls out. So it's best to just save your credits and use your BM gear as is until the new patch. Then figure out if you need to swap mods.

Edited by Foxcolt

Currently, 200 surge rating. 250 - 350 crit rating.

Any info backing this up? I've been searching for optimal surge/crit rating and have found lots of recommended numbers. Also, 250-350 crit rating range is kind of big no?

200 surge rating puts you at just around +21% surge (71% surge).

Crit rating is wide depending on what spec you are and how much you personally want to crit.

If you are Annihilation and interested in sustained DPS period, then lean towards 250. If you are Rage, you lean towards 250 (edit: post-1.2, lean towards 350). If you want more reliable crits, then push higher towards 350. If you are Carnage and want more reliable burst, push towards 350.

If you want the graphs, go to sithwarrior.com on their mechanics forum.

Or plug in the respective formulas into an online graphing calculator to view the results.

As far as a full analysis backing it all up, that sounds tedious. I did that a long time ago (before they nerfed surge) based on datamined formulas for abilities (again, off sithwarrior.com) and the approximations haven't changed much, except surge sucks so bad you only want 200 of it.

Edited by EasymodeX

Certain specs of Mara will rely more heavily on the stacking of certain other stats. For instance, carnage/rage marauders are able to get 100% crit chance from their biggest damage skills (force scream/smash, respectively), so they should stack more power or accuracy than crit, but as for surge, yes, you pretty much always want around 200 in surge regardless of your spec. Annihilation will definitely want crit stacked high so that their DoT's are more likely to apply their heal, but Annihilation DoT's can crit 100% of the time with Berserk active. So... depends on your spec and your playstyle.

It's been stated that if you mod your BM gear it won't get upgraded when 1.2 rolls out. So it's best to just save your credits and use your BM gear as is until the new patch. Then figure out if you need to swap mods.

Source please. I was under the impression that the gear gets upgraded but the mds you switched do not.

200 surge rating puts you at just around +21% surge (71% surge).

Crit rating is wide depending on what spec you are and how much you personally want to crit.

If you are Annihilation and interested in sustained DPS period, then lean towards 250. If you are Rage, you lean towards 250 (edit: post-1.2, lean towards 350). If you want more reliable crits, then push higher towards 350. If you are Carnage and want more reliable burst, push towards 350.

If you want the graphs, go to sithwarrior.com on their mechanics forum.

Or plug in the respective formulas into an online graphing calculator to view the results.

As far as a full analysis backing it all up, that sounds tedious. I did that a long time ago (before they nerfed surge) based on datamined formulas for abilities (again, off sithwarrior.com) and the approximations haven't changed much, except surge sucks so bad you only want 200 of it.

Thanks for the info. Going by the numbers you provided, what is your Crit/Surge rating? Also according to those numbers i should pretty much stack power correct?

accuracy? yuck! your better off stacking power and surge. meaning take out the enhancements with accuracy on them and replace with power/surge or crit/surge. if your anni. then get your crit to around 30-35% then worry about power/surge. since the surge nerf it seems like the best number to be around is 70-75% surge. and as far as i know there isnt a cap on power sooooo yeah, stack that ****. if your carnage/rage dont worry about crit that much at all, stack surge and power, and dont use accuracy as force scream and smash are force power not melee and do not rely on accuracy. and like someone else said wait until 1.2 to swap out BM mods or what not, if your impatient like i am then go spend your extra champ comms on the champ operative stalker gear i believe, and buy the piece with surge and power on it and throw it in your champ gear.

From what I've heard, If you save your extracted BM mods and replace them correctly before the 1.2 patch, they will upgrade with the patch. I hope this is true. Here's a link to search the mod name, and it will tell you the correct piece to place the mods back into if you aren't sure.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear

accuracy? yuck! your better off stacking power and surge. meaning take out the enhancements with accuracy on them and replace with power/surge or crit/surge. if your anni. then get your crit to around 30-35% then worry about power/surge. since the surge nerf it seems like the best number to be around is 70-75% surge. and as far as i know there isnt a cap on power sooooo yeah, stack that ****. if your carnage/rage dont worry about crit that much at all, stack surge and power, and dont use accuracy as force scream and smash are force power not melee and do not rely on accuracy. and like someone else said wait until 1.2 to swap out BM mods or what not, if your impatient like i am then go spend your extra champ comms on the champ operative stalker gear i believe, and buy the piece with surge and power on it and throw it in your champ gear.

Accuracy is pretty vital for carnage marauders (especially with 1.2 changing ataru form strikes to become weapon-based instead of force-based). I also see it as being moderately necessary for annihilation marauders since DoT's alone just don't cut it on certain specs or if there's a healer involved and you'll want your annihilate to hit with both main-hand and off-hand or you'll lose a lot of its damage, even if you're power-stacked.

Accuracy is pretty vital for carnage marauders (especially with 1.2 changing ataru form strikes to become weapon-based instead of force-based). I also see it as being moderately necessary for annihilation marauders since DoT's alone just don't cut it on certain specs or if there's a healer involved and you'll want your annihilate to hit with both main-hand and off-hand or you'll lose a lot of its damage, even if you're power-stacked.

Why is accuracy over 100% better for carnage marauders? Especially since you get an accuracy buff in both ataru and in the carnage tree.

Also note that war hero gear only has accuracy on 1 or 2 pieces, it's mostly full of power/surge mods/enchantments and from what I've seen..very low on crit rating.

Going by the numbers you provided, what is your Crit/Surge rating? Also according to those numbers i should pretty much stack power correct?

My current gear (which is not 100% optimized, because I'm a lazy ****) has around 203 Surge, +9.8% Acc, around 280 crit rating, and whatever power+str equates to ~448 damage bonus with my buff. Going off memory. Don't remember if that was in my PvE or PvP gear though.

Yes, once you start pushing unfavorable DR, you want to stack power.

accuracy? yuck! your better off stacking power and surge.

Accuracy trades Surge. After 200, maybe a little more, Acc > Surge. Particularly for Anni and Carnage, for which EVERY SINGLE ATTACK (except Force Scream) gets affected by defense checks, and more importantly have an off-hand hit check.

Note: Rupture's force-based DOT rides the direct damage component, which is a melee attack, and susceptible to dodges and ****. Note that enemies in PvP frequently have a 10% base avoidance rate. Any combination of tank + Inquisitor (e.g. you're attacking a Sorc with any type of tank in proximity) will likely bump to a 15% avoidance rate.

The point here is that it takes a decent bit of Acc to hit +10%. You honestly won't have a ton of item slots left to invest in "overloading Surge" past 200, if you maintain +10% Acc as well.

Other sidenote: Also, Deadly Saber's effect again rides normal attacks. Every GCD in Annihilation spec is spent on a melee attack -- BA, Assault, VS, Annihilate, Rupture(DD). All are melee and face defense checks, and almost all have offhand hit checks.

So, Accuracy is a bit underrated by the pug fotm "I PARROT MECHANICS LOLOL" zerg on the forums.

And, last note: 1.2 Rage will include a ****ton more VS spam and a ****ton less Force Scream and Smash.

Why is accuracy over 100% better for carnage marauders? Especially since you get an accuracy buff in both ataru and in the carnage tree.

Also note that war hero gear only has accuracy on 1 or 2 pieces, it's mostly full of power/surge mods/enchantments and from what I've seen..very low on crit rating.

It's not that it's accuracy over 100% that you should be concerned about as carnage marauder, it's more that you want to increase your off-hand weapon accuracy so that you'll get more hits in on your melee attacks that attack with both weapons such as Massacre, Ravage, etc. The difference between having your offhand weapon hit on a gored oppenent (that doesn't use shield generators) with ravage compared to your off-hand not hitting is about 2200 damage. Furthermore, since ataru form procs will be weapon-based instead of force-based, they will become avoidable with 1.2.

The reason I say carnage needs accuracy the most out of all 3 specs is because let's be honest, we're the most likely to get our entire ravage channel to land (due to its root and usually only at well-timed application) and you're missing a lot of our dps if your ravage isn't hitting with both weapons. Even with the accuracy bonus from ataru form and the 3% lol accuracy bonus from the skill tree, your offhand accuracy is still only like 66% base with normal melee attacks, so 76% with melee abilities. Also, if you factor in that ataru form will proc from melee damage from either hand, so your chance to get an ataru form proc increases if you're hitting with both weapons, as well.

Edited by SinnedWill