Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

PvE DPS spec

Bilirubin

OK, ran the new flashpoint last night with this new spec. Put out reasonable DPS I think; numbers seemed higher per strike than with my former build. But I can't help but think that I'm missing out on some DPS without the Find Weakness proc on Shadow Strike. Where is this training dummy so that I can run some parses?

Yeah, Shadow Strike definitely gives you a little more overall DPS. But for whatever reason, it throws off my rotation in a bad way. So for me personally, it lowers my DPS. I have no idea why this it throws me off, that's just the way it is.

And judging that it's better burst as well I see it as the superior spec for pve dps.
I really love infiltration for pvp now but I'm pretty much new with endgame pve(been only doing dailies and pvp at cap). Is infiltration really doable for PvE? With world boss fights even the aoe seems too strong on us.

Been thinking about starting PvE but I don't want to go back to balance for a smooth pve dps experience. :(

Edited by shagatha

Yeah I missed the moment when Balance becamse a "standard". I'd like to see how a Balance Shadow parses vs. Infiltration. With dps parsers, "I think" is not goot enough any more =) Copying from my post in a similar Assassin topic, hope someone posts something similar for a Balance build:

====

Did a guild run to Karraga's Palace 16 Nightmare.

Link to fryingtime: http://www.fryingtime.com/?filename=combat_2012-04-14_18_34_41_090917.txt#19_26_42_095000

Link to TORParse: http://www.torparse.com/a/21?q=MXwyMXgxMjAzMjFhMTIxMzk5eDE=

Parsers agree at ~1000 dps. If you take out 1st 5 seconds and last 35 seconds (to get actual Bonethrasher time), you get ~1060 dps. Fellow sage Michaulys was very close, commando Ural was within few percent, Jedi Knight Usu did significantly more (~500k total vs. my 300k).

Gear/spec: "standard" 5/33/3 build, full Rakata set with Rakata MH. Under raid buffs I have 38% crit / 72% surge / 408 bonus damage. I am also quite intrigued to dig where the actual crit% (58% Clairvoyant Strike, 50% Project etc.) come from because they are HUGE. Another big surprise is #6 position with 5.6% damage from Shadow Techinque (#5 position with 7% damage over the whole run).

Jedi Knight in comparison has 28% crit / 68% surge / 550 bonus damage, which doesn't explain the whole difference though. He's really good though, I have to shield him every time we go to the ops.

P.S. In case someone want to ask, 'Wind Buffet' is a relic proc, 'Crushed' is Telekinetic Throw. Oh, and I also forgot Force Potency and crit/surge relic a few times.

Edited by Feoktist

..and here's what I get in Balance:

Combat Training dummy - 1232 dps over 33 minutes.

Operations Training dummy - 1003 dps over 19 minutes (http://www.torparse.com/a/2359?q=MXwyMzU5eDE3MzAyNjYwYTE3MzA4NDY2eDE=).

Full rakata Stalker gear with Consular and Knight self-buffs, stats:

Melee crit 33%, surge 74%, bonus dmg 384

Force crit 31%, surge same, bonus dmg 653

I did one thing differently with the build though, 8/2/31: KC - Applied Force, Technique Mastery, Expertise; Inf - Infilitration Tactics; Bal - pure dps. It's hard to tell how much damage exactly is due for Force Breach since both its DoT and Mind Crush DoT appear with the same title in the log - Crushed (Force), so I can't justify this choice of spec.

UPD: Ask Dr. Robot actually differentiates between "Crushed (Force)" and "Crushed (Force)" =) http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/5b71ab8b-d8c0-4c70-8ce8-9c2294a4c959#d=0,f=9,t=1

Edited by Feoktist

If I'm understanding that right, you kind of gimp yourself in pve by going infiltration instead of balance? In pvp post-1.20 infiltration is finally good(imo, didn't like it's performance before) but in pve I'm so clueless. :)

..and here's what I get in Balance:

Combat Training dummy - 1232 dps over 33 minutes.

Operations Training dummy - 1003 dps over 19 minutes (http://www.torparse.com/a/2359?q=MXwyMzU5eDE3MzAyNjYwYTE3MzA4NDY2eDE=).

Full rakata Stalker gear with Consular and Knight self-buffs, stats:

Melee crit 33%, surge 74%, bonus dmg 384

Force crit 31%, surge same, bonus dmg 653

I did one thing differently with the build though, 8/2/31: KC - Applied Force, Technique Mastery, Expertise; Inf - Infilitration Tactics; Bal - pure dps. It's hard to tell how much damage exactly is due for Force Breach since both its DoT and Mind Crush DoT appear with the same title in the log - Crushed (Force), so I can't justify this choice of spec.

UPD: Ask Dr. Robot actually differentiates between "Crushed (Force)" and "Crushed (Force)" =) http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/5b71ab8b-d8c0-4c70-8ce8-9c2294a4c959#d=0,f=9,t=1

384 melee bonus dmg..? That seems um RLY low. In 2 Campaign 1 Black Hole 2 BM modded orange augment with orange modded rakata MH and rakata offhand, orange belt/bracers, and BM ears/implant I am at 520 Melee dmg, 37.9% crit 77.68% surge 790 force dmg 36.91 force crit. Those stats seem very low. Thats with smuggler knight and consular buff and rakata stim.

Edited by LessQQMorePewPew

In 2 Campaign 1 Black Hole 2 BM modded orange augment with orange modded rakata MH and rakata offhand, orange belt/bracers, and BM ears/implant I am at 520 Melee dmg, 37.9% crit 77.68% surge 790 force dmg 36.91 force crit.

That's valuable feedback that I get 140 more bonus damage when I gear up a bit, still no further dps parse posts..

That's valuable feedback that I get 140 more bonus damage when I gear up a bit, still no further dps parse posts..

I'm still using BM gear with suboptimal mods. I don't think theres rly a gear deficit between full rakata and my hodge podge. Whats gained by my T2 is offset by your rakata vs my BM.

But I would drop some of your crit for power. Also I would swap Expertise for Elusiveness. Expertise is like .04% DPS.

Edited by LessQQMorePewPew

I'm still using BM gear with suboptimal mods. I don't think theres rly a gear deficit between full rakata and my hodge podge. Whats gained by my T2 is offset by your rakata vs my BM.

But I would drop some of your crit for power. Also I would swap Expertise for Elusiveness. Expertise is like .04% DPS.

Well Rakata is full of sh.. I mean, Accuracty instead of some valuable stats. I didn't swap them before (my main spec is tank) and now it's kind of pointless with all the Black Hole and Campaign stuff.

Regarding Expertise, if it increases Force Technique damage by 9% and FT yields 4.2% damage overall, it's going to be 0.35% =P That's an order of magnitude more than your guesstimate, bro. And Elusiveness is 0.0% damage increase.

Yeah, Shadow Strike definitely gives you a little more overall DPS. But for whatever reason, it throws off my rotation in a bad way. So for me personally, it lowers my DPS. I have no idea why this it throws me off, that's just the way it is.

I will agree that it is a bit of a kink in the rotation, and that double strikes are nearly the same DPS at lower force cost anyway. Your spec's rotation is quite fast, clean, and straight forward, and I'm never force starved. I think I am hitting slightly harder (of course my specs have improved with new gear) too, but I haven't really noticed a huge jump in survivability--squishy class is squishy. I'm leaning towards returning to my previous spec for the melee bonus and the Shadow Strike proc. I'm going to stick with this a little longer and read more about the parses folks are running.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.