Jugg tank question on accuracy and getting my butt spanked since last patch

Godzillamax

When I mouse over my Jugg tank's Accuracy stat I see it is broken down into two parts: Basic Accuracy and Special Attacks. Currently my basic accuracy is 97.97% and my Special Attacks is 107.97%. Can someone tell me what the difference is? I've read a tank wants somewhere between 105%-110% accuracy, but are they talking about the Basic number, or special attacks number?

Since the last patch went through (one last week) I noticed I'm getting hit a lot harder than I was pre-patch. My guild regularly runs hardmode EV and KP but we skipped raiding last week (patch week) and instead hit KP last night. My gear hasn't changed, but the healers were struggling to keep me up on multiple fights last night. I'm in 4 pieces of Rakata (helm, bracers, legs, gloves) and the rest is columi. Buffed (w/o stim I'm around 21,500 health. Rarely do I fret about my health and on most boss fights I don't even use my defensive cooldowns. But last night I was having to pop them left and right. Our OT who also plays a Jugg noticed it as well. I died enough that my repair bill for the KP raid was ~$80k.

Was it just a bad raid night with some runs of bad luck? Or was there some stealth change that either nerfed healers, nerfed our mitigation, or buffed the hardmode Ops?

Thanks!

Abilities use the "special" chance to hit (100% base), while I think only the basic attack, Assault, uses the "normal" chance to hit (90% base).

As I understand it, all raid NPCs will have a 10% defense chance (most NPCs you'll come across while leveling will probably have a basic 5% defense chance); you'll need 10% bonus chance to hit, for 110% tooltip chance to hit with abilities, in order to ensure a 100% chance to hit a given NPC.

For the basic attack, Assault, you would need 20% increased chance to hit; not worth it.

As for your latter issue, I've heard there's a bug with Soresu stance at least, which causes the bonus mitigation to bug out and not apply, or only apply visibly to the tooltip but not actually be used in damage calculations.

Alternatively, you were just the victim of a bad string of RNG. This isn't WoW; you can't push critical hits off the table (and there are no crushing blows). Your defense chance combined with the NPCs chance to miss determine your overall chance to be hit; once an attack hits, it can be a critical strike, it can be shielded, or it can land normally, in that order.

Edited by Ansultares

Abilities use the "special" chance to hit (100% base), while I think only the basic attack, Assault, uses the "normal" chance to hit (90% base).

As I understand it, all raid NPCs will have a 10% defense chance (most NPCs you'll come across while leveling will probably have a basic 5% defense chance); you'll need 10% bonus chance to hit, for 110% tooltip chance to hit with abilities, in order to ensure a 100% chance to hit a given NPC.

For the basic attack, Assault, you would need 20% increased chance to hit; not worth it.

As for your latter issue, I've heard there's a bug with Soresu stance at least, which causes the bonus mitigation to bug out and not apply, or only apply visibly to the tooltip but not actually be used in damage calculations.

Alternatively, you were just the victim of a bad string of RNG. This isn't WoW; you can't push critical hits off the table (and there are no crushing blows). Your defense chance combined with the NPCs chance to miss determine your overall chance to be hit; once an attack hits, it can be a critical strike, it can be shielded, or it can land normally, in that order.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like my accuracy then is almost where I want it. Regarding my recent raid and getting my behind handed to me, I remember wondering if my Soresu form was possibly bugged and changing forms (and back again) just to make sure. It didn't seem to make a difference. Guess we will chock this one up to a bad string of RNG crits. Normally with my mitigation and our pro healers my health rarely dips below 75%. Last night I had my finger hovering over my oh-$hit buttons all night since I was routinely down in the 20-30% health range, often dipping below 10% health.

Edited by Godzillamax

remod all your gear from power and put accuracy into it, i have 150% base accuracy and combined w/ rage talents is a 70% reduction in their armor value.

I really hope you are trolling. Accuracy above 100% reduces def not armor.

As stated above you will want 100%/110%. As for getting hit harder I'm gonna guess you had some bad luck. Maybe you needed to repair?

I really hope you are trolling. Accuracy above 100% reduces def not armor.
It used to. It was changed maybe two patches ago.

Regarding my recent raid and getting my behind handed to me, I remember wondering if my Soresu form was possibly bugged and changing forms (and back again) just to make sure. It didn't seem to make a difference.
You may want to search the forums, as I seem to recall that switching stances wouldn't resolve the bug, but zoning did.

Guess we will chock this one up to a bad string of RNG crits. Normally with my mitigation and our pro healers my health rarely dips below 75%. Last night I had my finger hovering over my oh-$hit buttons all night since I was routinely down in the 20-30% health range, often dipping below 10% health.
That sounds more likely to be the bug. RNG strings might stomp you in one fight, but it's unlikely to manifest in every fight. Unfortunately, there's nothing to do about it; you can't get your defense chance up to 100%, and since critical hits both push shielded and normal hits off the hit table while also being unable to be shielded, your only real defense is mitigation and a sizeable health pool. Edited by Ansultares