MMORPG Research Design help

TSUNAMl

Hi people,

How's things?

I'm writing this post to ask for assistance to brainstorm some potential ideas for an experimental research design that would have utility in-game (SWTOR).

Specifically, I am interested in a possible correlation between level of gaming (average time spent playing SWTOR) and associated levels of impulsivity. I am also going to look at the benefits of using the rested XP function as a tool to promote delay discounting (forgoing a small reward now for a larger or better reward at a later point in time), for more balanced game usage.

I understand that I can obtain most of the data I need via the use of particular surveys and inventories. However, I have been informed that I need an experiemental component to make the research more meaningful.

So (hypothetically), I was thinking about creating two guilds (one as a control and one as the experimental to be manipulated in some way), with 10-12 people in each guild. Can you guys help me brainstorm or provide some ideas as to how I can develop an experiment that may look at a correlation between gaming use and impulsivity, please? or even to somehow tie in the use of rested Xp in the taverns to test delay discounting behaviours in different guilds?

I have been thinking about this for over week and have not come up with any concise ideas yet...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! :)