Question about alacrity talents

Mrip

Increases your total alacrity. Critical reaction will boost your alacrity up 5 more percent, or if you had 0 % to start, will make it into a 5%. 4% more can be got from systems calibrations, making 9% total just from talents alone.

But if I have 0 alacrity to start, won't an increase of 5% still leave me at 0 alacrity? It seems odd that you need to put 4 points into alacrity talents to get a 4%, sometimes 9% boost to a secondary stat that you probably won't have that much of, and get a static 9% to aim, your primary stat, for 3 points.

If I have a few hundred alacrity it seems really dumb to spend 4 points to get an increase of like 35 alacrity. That's basically nothing for 4 points. But why do the devs put in 2 alacrity talents, one of them requiring 3 points in something else, that are basically useless? I want a useful alacrity talent.

Edited by Mrip

But if I have 0 alacrity to start, won't an increase of 5% still leave me at 0 alacrity? It seems odd that you need to put 4 points into alacrity talents to get a 4%, sometimes 9% boost to a secondary stat that you probably won't have that much of, and get a static 9% to aim, your primary stat, for 3 points.

If I have a few hundred alacrity it seems really dumb to spend 4 points to get an increase of like 35 alacrity. That's basically nothing for 4 points. But why do the devs put in 2 alacrity talents, one of them requiring 3 points in something else, that are basically useless? I want a useful alacrity talent.

MMO developers are horribly inconsistent about whether % increases are additive or multiplicative. They're even inconsistent within a single game. In this case, it appears that a 5% alacrity talent shortens your cast times by 5% of the cast time without any alacrity, regardless of how much alacrity you have.

... it appears that a 5% alacrity talent shortens your cast times by 5% of the cast time without any alacrity, regardless of how much alacrity you have.

Great. I thought the first response was saying the opposite. I should have been more clear. Thanks!

To see Critical reaction working simply open up character panel and have tech selected. Then use rapid shots on someone and watch the number next to activation percentage go up by 5. Just like how Upgraded Arsenal increases your crit chance not crit rating. They need to change the wording to "activation" instead of alacrity as it's misleading. Edited by jukinru

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.