Why people hate the trooper?

lironBD

Some stuff to correct here:

1. Full Auto vs. Unload. Full Auto's animation "appears" to make it slower. Playing a Merc, Vanguard, and Commando, I can see why people think this. The ability however does x damage over 3 seconds. Whether that damage happens in the first 1.5 seconds (Unload) or the last 1.5 seconds (Full Auto) is mostly inconsequential as it is still true to x damage over 3 seconds. I believe the devs said they were looking into this to match the abilities up.

This is only true if you either never take damage when using FA, or put 3 points into Steadied Aim.

The currently still existing problem is that the BH dishes out the damage of the ability, even when under fire while the Trooper looses the last of the three ticks of damage, thus the ability is at -33% when under fire. This does not happen any more with Steadied Aim specced for 3 skillpoints, but the BH can dish out the full damage without having to sacrifice 3 valuable skillpoints for it.

Supposedly this problem will really get fixed in 1.2.

2. Same as #1, is Mortar Volley vs DFA. DFA definitely fires up smoother and quicker, but damage wise I see no difference.

I guess you don't PvP?

In PvE the difference is small, indeed, the last hit of the BHs DFA lands like a quarter of a second faster than the last one of the troopers MV. But the timing for the _first_ hit is very different. The moment you initiate the ability, a marker is on the ground, and players are well trained to run out of such markers. As BH, you can target your DFA into enemies in PvP and are sure to hit them with the first missile and the slow ones also with the second one. With the troopers MV, your first grenade only still hits the slow ones, everyone else already left your area of effect, if somebody still is hit by the second grenade you just found fighting vegetables.

Just like FA, this issue supposedly will be fixed in 1.2.

1. Shockstrike. Rocket Punch is just stupid imo. Shockstrike gives that subtle attack that packs a punch and doesnt look like Ryu from Street Fighter.

On this i agree.

2. Pulse Cannon "appears" to have a wider cone than Flamethrower.

3. While Mortar Volley does seem to take longer than DFA to activate, its radius also appears to be much larger. So imo this nullifies the timing problem. MV might take longer but it hits more targets. DFA is quicker but hits less. Take your pick.

Appearing is one thing. According to player tests, the area of effect is the same on both abilities. Currently all differences of the classes work in favour of the BH. Supposedly, all of them will be fixed in 1.2. We'll see.

PVP with the trooper is great not just because of the pure damage and healing abilities but because of the utilities..

for example.. the number of times I've stunned with grenade o huttball or pushed people over ledges into the abyss is uncountable..

can't wait to get some decent gear and try pvp again...

while a lot of the incoming damage is mitigated by the armor.

I lul'd

You should go read up on the mitigation thread and find out exactly how much armor doesn't matter. There's a reason that tank stats are worthless in pvp.