Roleplaying server

FRA_Emmerson

I saw something about this, what are Roleplaying servers for? what goes on in them thats different from normal servers?

The people on these servers roleplay more so than people on PVE or PVP servers. Like... some Guilds roleplay that they are a slave market and sell their members to the highest bidder, ect. Some roleplay sex. There's just endless possibilities on an RP server and you might wanna watch which one you go into. :p

Lol, sounds like it could be fun. Are they labeled as "RP" servers, or are they just tagged by certain players/guilds?

Pretty much. I would go ahead and roll an alt in each server, see if there's a RP channel and test the waters before you get dedicated.

RP-PvE servers have no official rules that make them different than regular PvE servers. There's no change in your gameplay.

Socially, and unofficially, people interpret the RP tag as meaning "if you want to RP, go here". It's more or less a "meeting spot" for RPers.

On the RP servers I'm familiar with (Sanctum of the Exalted by first hand experience and Lord Adraas by reputation), there are some opportunities for RP, but you are NOT required to participate in it. Generally, if you mock or troll the people who are RPing, the people on that server will respond quite negatively.

Much RP is done by typing out what your character says using the /say command in the chat line. For instance, If I was playing an IA named Vetala, I might type...

/say I'm not sure we should be in here with all of these angry Sith.

Looks like this to everyone else:

Vetala says: I'm not sure we should be in here with all of these angry Sith.

To show how your character reacts to things, you can use the /me command. I might type....

/me backs away slowly, eyeing the combatants.

This would look like:

Vetala backs away slowly, eyeing the combatants.

You can use this to have conversations with other players in game. For instance:

• RP might be a group of troopers (one guild) planning a tactical strike on a group of bounty hunters (another guild) on Hoth. This is done through /say and /me to describe what the characters are doing, and then the Guild Leaders might agree to have everyone go to Hoth at a certain day and time and flag themselves for PvP so they can play out the raid.

• RP might be a bunch of people hanging out "in character" in one of the cantinas. Their characters might complain about how much repairs cost, buy each other drinks, or express appreciation for the music. A lot of this is done through /say and /me and transferring drinks bought from the bartender to other players.

• RP might be a big speeder bike race (http://www.galacticswoop.com) where people are standing in the crowd placing bets or cheering on the racers. Also a lot of /say and /me occurs describing what people's characters are saying and doing. The players might actually trade credits back and forth depending on the outcome of the race.

• RP might be a Sith Apprentice calling out her master for a duel in the main square in Kaas City to prove she's ready to take on a higher title. The apprentice would use /say or even /yell to challenge her master, she would initiate a duel and he'd accept, and then after the fight, they would have another conversation with /say to discuss what happened. The players might have agreed that the apprentice's player won't set her in-game title to anything other than apprentice until and unless she does well in the duel.

• RP might be a group of jedi mourning a fallen comrade as they bury him on Tython. The characters might all go to the falls, talk about the person who died, and talk through a funeral service.

On most RP servers, it's hard to just walk up to someone and start RPing because RP works better if people have some expectation of what is going to happen ("we're going to plan a raid", "we're going to fight a duel", "we're going to bury our comrade"). That expectation is often worked out beforehand, such as:

• Either someone will organize an open event (cantina night, swoop bike race) and everyone is invited.

• Sometimes, the RP is necessarily mostly private (one group planning a raid on another group).

• Other times the RP is mainly about a small number of people (the apprentice dueling her master) but passerby can comment on it and may become involved in the scene. You could use /say or /yell to cheer on the Sith apprentice. Maybe she's grateful and wants to buy you a drink after the duel. Maybe she's insulted that you thought she needed help and *she* wants to duel you for that insult.

Does that help clarify RP?

Paige

Edited by Scorpienne

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.