what to do at level 50 to get raid and pvp ready?

aashkab

Hi,

I am about to be a new 50. I've heard it is relatively easy to get geared for the raids my guild is running. What is the best way to do this?

I love to pvp and I heard that the pvp gear right now is easy to get and great for raids. Do you agree? If so, where do I get it from? If not, what should I be doing to get raid ready?

Thanks

PvP gear is for PvP. Expertise does nothing for PvE. As my guild's main healer I have refused tanks in PvP gear and have had serious objections to DPS in PvP gear. (And yes, the person who keeps everyone else alive does have a major say in who gets raid slots and who does not.)

The best way to gear up for raids is to run hardmode flashpoints. The gear drops will be upgrades and learning other classes abilities is invaluable. Barring that, spending an hour or two do the dailies on Belsavis and Ilum. If you have fully moddable gear then a week of running all the dailies will provide you with level 49-50 purple armorings, mods, and enhancements for all your gear. This website has a great walkthrough for doing all the dailies.

[email=http://dulfy.net/2012/01/27/how-to-soloing-heroic-dailies-empire/]http://dulfy.net/2012/01/27/how-to-soloing-heroic-dailies-empire/[/email]

PvP gear is for PvP. Expertise does nothing for PvE. As my guild's main healer I have refused tanks in PvP gear and have had serious objections to DPS in PvP gear. (And yes, the person who keeps everyone else alive does have a major say in who gets raid slots and who does not.)

Well that's just ignorant seen as the Battlemaster gear is pretty much on par with mid level raiding gear...

Well that's just ignorant seen as the Battlemaster gear is pretty much on par with mid level raiding gear...

Actually it is quite the opposite of ignorant. It is informed. How does expertise help in PvE? What does it do? It is wasted stat weight that can be put to better use.

If your intention is to PvP at 50, then by all means, go get PvP gear. But if you want to raid get the gear that has the proper stats. I have healed Tanks in both full modded gear from dailies and tanks with full battlemaster. I can tell you from personal experiance The daily geared one has higher survivablity. Now with DPS classes it is a little different, with a good healer and a good tank we can carry the DPS no matter how bad their gear is. But it will show any perspective guild that you are committed to improving THEIR ability to clear content (yes, guilds look at people for their ability to help the guild, not the guild's ability to help you), if you show up to hardmodes and raids in proper gear.

Once again, just to make this clear. PvP gear gotten from PvP with PvP stats are best for PvP. But if you want to raid and do PvP you will need to collect two seperate sets of gear. There is no easy way to do it, both take time and commitment.

Edited by Zacarius-

Actually it is quite the opposite of ignorant. It is informed. How does expertise help in PvE? What does it do? It is wasted stat weight that can be put to better use.

If your intention is to PvP at 50, then by all means, go get PvP gear. But if you want to raid get the gear that has the proper stats. I have healed Tanks in both full modded gear from dailies and tanks with full battlemaster. I can tell you from personal experiance The daily geared one has higher survivablity. Now with DPS classes it is a little different, with a good healer and a good tank we can carry the DPS no matter how bad their gear is. But it will show any perspective guild that you are committed to improving THEIR ability to clear content (yes, guilds look at people for their ability to help the guild, not the guild's ability to help you), if you show up to hardmodes and raids in proper gear.

Once again, just to make this clear. PvP gear gotten from PvP with PvP stats are best for PvP. But if you want to raid and do PvP you will need to collect two seperate sets of gear. There is no easy way to do it, both take time and commitment.

Perhaps I should have clarified, I was speaking from a DPS perspective.

i agree with the two sets of gear, i think he was saying a guy in BM gear would be prefered to a guy in full tionese gear... which is true. Full columi > BM though so there would be a cutoff point of course.

Personally wear whatever gear you want, comes down to the size of main stat, bonus damage, crit chance, and crit multiplier (for dps, there would be analogs for heals and tanks).

numbers do not discriminate, whoever has the best numbers gets considered in our guild. I personaly would take lesser gear and more awareness, awareness is an important factor, almost as important as gear.

Hi,

I am about to be a new 50. I've heard it is relatively easy to get geared for the raids my guild is running. What is the best way to do this?

I love to pvp and I heard that the pvp gear right now is easy to get and great for raids. Do you agree? If so, where do I get it from? If not, what should I be doing to get raid ready?

Thanks

to answer YOUR question which is the important part... for raiding do HM FP's and get a columi set, full columi set, at that point you have to get uber crafted or raid gear to progress at all.

if you have a 4 piece columi you should be considered for any normal raid, and even HM raids (though you would have bottom of the barrel HM raid gear)

currently i am have 2 rakata set bonus + rakata wrist/waist and everything else upgraded columi.

pvp gear can be disassembled and use the items to upgrade your columi.

to be clear, even as dps you need to have dd gear. there is roughly a difference of 400 in the mainstat from pve to pvp gear (rakata/battlemaster), and that just hurts, its great to have +14/15% damage to enemy players but that just doesnt help against bosses. no pve gear? no hardmode or nightmare raids for you!

Hi,

Thanks

If you are looking to do normal level Ops which are at a level that pugging them is very easy, then yes PVP gear is workable. On Hard mode and Nightmare mode it is best to do 4 mans and normal raids for a set of Columi gear. Also doing dailies to get other items such as Earpieces is also a good way to gear up. A few items can also be crafted and be found on the GTN or friends who can craft them.

The issue with PVP gear past Normal Ops is the lack of stats. One that is over looked is Endurance. On Nightmare you will just get one shot by some abilities without a good amount of Endurance. And Raid gear has a bit more End on it over PVP gear. You also lose out on various other stats that are needed for your DPS in Ops.

to be clear, even as dps you need to have dd gear. there is roughly a difference of 400 in the mainstat from pve to pvp gear (rakata/battlemaster), and that just hurts, its great to have +14/15% damage to enemy players but that just doesnt help against bosses. no pve gear? no hardmode or nightmare raids for you!

Not that I agree with pve in pvp gear but your information is off. If you are going to spew random numbers make sure nobody can prove how much of an idiot you are.. Here is the comparison of total stats from 5pcs of both BM and Rakata gear below..

Battlemaster:

Total stats:

Endurance - 468

Willpower - 431

Expertise - 250

Critical Rating - 170

Alacrity Rating - 255

Power - 114

Rakata:

Total stats:

Endurance - 531

Willpower - 564

Critical Rating - 196

Alacrity Rating - 255

Power - 96

400 points difference in primary stat huh? Well its been awhile and I may have to take off my shoes and pants to make sure I have enough digits to count while attempting to do math for you but... Willpower is a sorcs primary stat and by the looks of it there is only a 133 stat point difference. Granted this doesn't take into account accessories but as you can see.. Your precious raid gear really isn't that much better.. You can argue the "Expertise is a wasted stat!!!!" "OMG you filthy casual!!" All you want.. But in the end even you sir can not argue when the numbers are laid out in front of you.. But please do try to make your point valid. I will be waiting to hear how you argue this one..

Edited by Amiodarone

It always amazes me, peoples inability to be flexible enough to actually make non-optimal work. Even close to but not quite to optimal, they just can't make work. That to me is the sign of a bad player and THAT is the kind of person that I don't want to run with. I would take the guy in the PvP gear that knows how to adjust on the fly and alter methods as needed to defeat the challenge before him/her over the person who thinks there is only ever 1 way to do something and you have to be geared exactly right to do it, blah blah nauseating blah.

400 points difference in primary stat huh? Well its been awhile and I may have to take off my shoes and pants to make sure I have enough digits to count while attempting to do math for you but... Willpower is a sorcs primary stat and by the looks of it there is only a 133 stat point difference. Granted this doesn't take into account accessories but as you can see.. Your precious raid gear really isn't that much better.. You can argue the "Expertise is a wasted stat!!!!" "OMG you filthy casual!!" All you want.. But in the end even you sir can not argue when the numbers are laid out in front of you.. But please do try to make your point valid. I will be waiting to hear how you argue this one..

The point is it is a drop in stats. It doesn't matter by how much ,and the amounts are actually decent. More if not equal to going from Columi to Rakatta. So you are saying, you wouldn't want upgrades once you got your mid rank gear.

And I know you agree that PVE gear is a better choice, but I think you are under minding the numbers. Even if they are not as large as some say, the loss n Endurance alone will kill you in some fights. That is just a fact. Take a lightning ball to the face on NiM Soa without a high level of Endurance and you'll see.

Now as I said before, in casual guilds who just do normals and maybe a few hard bosses, this is doable, but to down all hard mode bosses and to down any nightmare, it will serve you a lot to have raid gear over pvp gear. There is really no debate here.

Edited by Fraeblood

It always amazes me, peoples inability to be flexible enough to actually make non-optimal work. Even close to but not quite to optimal, they just can't make work. That to me is the sign of a bad player and THAT is the kind of person that I don't want to run with. I would take the guy in the PvP gear that knows how to adjust on the fly and alter methods as needed to defeat the challenge before him/her over the person who thinks there is only ever 1 way to do something and you have to be geared exactly right to do it, blah blah nauseating blah.

^^^This. But I don't see it changing anytime soon.

mmhmm I agree, but there are some fights where the lack of proper gear does hurt ya. But hell we just ran a NiM run with 3 jug dps and no Crit buff, so anything is doable with good players :)

Juat saying it isn't optimal and is not really something people should slack on and make a habbit. Work for your gear. Do dailies and run 4 mans to get good at PVE then try some Ops.