Levelling as merc healer?

Ilimitado

I been playing a merc healer lately to level with and it seems to go along just fine, though only on level 16 or so now. I like levelling as healer because I can usually get right into groups or heal in warzones.

My question though is will this become unsustainable at higher level areas? Will it at some point become very difficult to move through the content without all the dps skills (i.e. tracer missiles)

Any others who leveled as healer I would appreciate to hear how you did.

Your companions are there to fill out class roles when not in a large team of other players. I don't have a BH myself but a friend levelled with me as a DPS Merc. I think most healers prefer levelling with DPS companions but I reckon a tank companion in DPS spec would work pretty well too - Blizz and Skadge both wear heavy armour for added survivability.

I am currently level 42 Merc and I have been leveling as a healer since level 33 (was leveling as Arsenal) or so. You won't run into too many issues when leveling as a healer. Just use your companion to attack and keep them healed. It does become a bit easier when you get Blizz, but Torian can do just fine also.

Make sure to use supercharged gas effectively to get the most out of powershot (your go to attack as a healing merc).

Edited by Coronadus

I been playing a merc healer lately to level with and it seems to go along just fine, though only on level 16 or so now. I like levelling as healer because I can usually get right into groups or heal in warzones.

My question though is will this become unsustainable at higher level areas? Will it at some point become very difficult to move through the content without all the dps skills (i.e. tracer missiles)

Any others who leveled as healer I would appreciate to hear how you did.

leveling a healer becomes super easy once you get blizz(tank)

I'm going to offer a different opinion:

Totally depends on your level vs the content.

If the mobs are your level +/-1, you will find a couple of class quests challenging and if I remember right some packs of mobs that heal each other starting around the mid 30s.

If the Mobs are 2+ levels above you it will be more challenging still with a couple of class quests being downright frustrating without help.

If the mobs are 2+ levels below you, you should be fine.

Since I didn't do many space missions/bonus missions/group quests/PvP, I out leveled the content so I switched to a build that was healing focused, with Tracer missile. This worked fine. But then in my mid 40s, I wanted to just get to 50, so I went full DPS for speed. DPS spec + Geared Gault = Fly through content.

Thanks. I am typically above the level of whatever I am fighting just because I tend to just do all the missions I come across and also do warzones frequently (pretty crazy xp). I get the sense that, just like in most games, the end-game content is mostly raiding and running warzones, so I am in no hurry to speed through the content (especially because these missions are actually interesting to read).

I am currently using Mako because that's all I have at the moment. I usually just set her to healing as I still don't have many of the good healing skills and then just aoe everything. Though, I will probably set her to dps more now.

It just takes a lot longer than if you were dps. I've gone from 10-32 now as a healer and getting Gault was a godsend. I really wish people would group up for everything so I could just chill as a healer and still lvl at a normal pace

As a BH healer, you won't have any problems. Death from above kills and stuns 90% of your weak targets. I liked to use Mako as a champion because she heals which lets me dps. Even as a healer, a BH can dps pretty well (a lot better than a healing agent). Fusion missile, explosive missile, unload, rocket punch does enough damage to hurt a strong. Just recup heat after each fight. Mako heals herself and can tank a strong NPC by herself on the occasions where you fight two strongs. Just kill the one on you and switch to her afterwards. The other NPCs can't do that. The other NPCs also like to stand in ground AOE spots and take massive amounts of damage. Mako tends to stay back and doesn't get a lot of the main aggro. She also has a nice 8 second CC that she uses a lot. She never was fully geared and still has some of her beginning armor. As you can see, I love Mako and want to marry her.

I'm going to offer a different opinion:

Totally depends on your level vs the content.

If the mobs are your level +/-1, you will find a couple of class quests challenging and if I remember right some packs of mobs that heal each other starting around the mid 30s.

If the Mobs are 2+ levels above you it will be more challenging still with a couple of class quests being downright frustrating without help.

If the mobs are 2+ levels below you, you should be fine.

Since I didn't do many space missions/bonus missions/group quests/PvP, I out leveled the content so I switched to a build that was healing focused, with Tracer missile. This worked fine. But then in my mid 40s, I wanted to just get to 50, so I went full DPS for speed. DPS spec + Geared Gault = Fly through content.

Sound advise IMO.

Some of the class quests can prove to be challenging to run as a healer due to some bosses being capable of self heals and dps. But those fights are few and far between. It really does come down to using the right companion for the right problem and I recommend keeping all your companions geared appropriately while leveling and keeping them all available (not running missions) when doing class quests or planetary storyline quests.

Also, space missions and PVP can be a change of pace. Space missions can give quite a bit of valor, xp, and credits and PVP as a healer can be good practice to healing larger groups. They can also be extremely frustrating to run as a healer. Because no matter how bad an operations or Hard Mode can be at 50 they are nowhere as bad as healing in a warzone where you are constantly the focus of interrupts, cc, and attacks. Plus people die quickly and constantly move out of range or break line of sight. If you can heal a warzone effectively (repeatedly) this is nothing this game can throw at you that you can't heal through.