I was wrong about Alacrity (aka it isn't always bad). A new analysis.

RuQu

New metrics, new results. One should never be afraid to change their mind in face of new evidence.

The long version can be found here.

Short version (as short as I can do):

Boss DPS does not increase as your gear increases.

Therefore your necessary HPS over a fight is the same regardless of gear.

Therefore as gear increases, your time spent healing will decrease for the same amount of damage taken by the group.

Therefore, HPS is a poor metric for healing performance.

Therefore a new metric is needed which captures the benefit of increased down-time for the same healing output as your gear improves.

Discussion of that metric and the graphs and results are at the linked thread above. Short version of conclusion:

Alacrity is your worst stat at Tionese levels of gear, because your lower strength of heals means you are chain casting more often, and therefore running into issues from increased Effective Cost.

As your gear improves and you can afford more downtime, Alacrity approaches parity with Surge in Columi gear, and then slightly exceeds it by Rakata.

Real short version:

Take 9% Alacrity from Skills. Then stack Power/Surge, eventually putting some Surge towards Crit.

I'd like to know how you're going to put Surge towards Crit...

My priorities haven't really changed at all on my Sage insofar as Alacrity is concerned. The DR on Surge after 200 rating is too harsh for it really be worth much of anything.

Going forward, I think they're probably going to readjust Surge's DR curve again, hopefully by the time they add in the next tier. It's still a bit too good at low ratings, but now it caps out easily. It's already having trouble competing with Alacrity at the higher tiers (~200 rating), and Alacrity's DR is almost linear.

Edited by Soshla

I'd like to know how you're going to put Surge towards Crit...

My priorities haven't really changed at all on my Sage insofar as Alacrity is concerned. The DR on Surge after 200 rating is too harsh for it really be worth much of anything.

Going forward, I think they're probably going to readjust Surge's DR curve again, hopefully by the time they add in the next tier. It's still a bit too good at low ratings, but now it caps out easily. It's already having trouble competing with Alacrity at the higher tiers (~200 rating), and Alacrity's DR is almost linear.

I think most of the curves will be adjusted in 1.2. Luckily these values are stored in just one spot in the code, and I can push a new version within a day of the Patch.