The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What is the right spec for me?

AlroyJetsonn

I'm currently a level 20 Powertech and love to whore medals in Warzone. Could I get some options on what kind of build I should follow to keep myself on top of the leaderboard? I play for the win by the way, not medals. But more medals = more reward. What do you think of the Carolina Parakeet build?

Thank you in advance. I would also like to hear from the tanks out there.

More medals doesn't mean anything as of Tuesday night: you only need 4 medals and a win to get maximum valor/commendations from the Warzone.

That said, you can really play any spec and get those 4 medals easily. Make sure you use both of your taunts on cooldown (try to save Sonic Missile, when you get it at level 30, for big groups) to get lots of Protector points.

If you are Shieldtech, make sure to Guard your most-likely-to-be-focused teammate and constantly peel enemies off him/her with your CC abilities. This will get you lots of Protector and objective Defender points.

If you are AP, make sure to play somewhat like a Shieldtech but with a slant towards damage dealing as your goal is to blow up evasive enemies. You will easily get the 2.5k crit medal, 75k damage, and sometimes 300k damage medals while also getting the Protector medals seen above. Don't bother capping a ball unless you have a healer or two with you (Hydraulic Overrides alone isn't enough to cap balls).

If you are PyroTech, just blow everything up. DoT everything with blaster attacks/Flame Burst and peel enemies off squishier foes. You will easily obtain medals for high damage and 10/25 kills while being able to burn down enemy healers.

I am currently level 27 and been topping WZ medal counts since starting at level 10 basically. going the middle dps tree (someting prototype, i don't have the client open right now).

the trick is to go into tank stance at the start of the WZ and choose someone to put guard on, preferably melee, marauders work well. then you basically follow them into battle and stay within 15m of them. this will get you 3 medals in the first 30 seconds or so: the 2k, 5k and 10k guard medals hopefully. if i miss the 10k medal i don't usually chase it but go on to the next step:

once i have those medals from guarding i am usually dead from all the damage they have taken, so when i respawn i switch to the dps stance from the middle skill tree (the one with 5% damage increase and passive 15% movement buff). from here i just do the normal dps stuff. you should get the 75k damage medal, the 10 and 25 kills, a killing blow (that's 7 medals so far) just as a matter of course, depending on how even the teams are and how long the match goes for. then you will often also get defender points, solo kill etc as well. so you should basically be averaging 7 medals.

we are very lucky the guard medals are so over-valued, i feel sorry for the poor healers having to work so hard for 1 or 2 medals for the entire WZ and having so much of an impact, while we get 3 medals in the first 30 seconds just for turning up! it's also great we can use guard when specced into the dps trees simply by changing stance.