The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard assault PVE mechanics

Spifff

Maybe i missed the important post but I've read many many threads about vanguard specs and rotations but I'm still confused about a couple of things. I actually want to understand what's going on and not just go with a 'hit these buttons and you will do dps' approach. This is for PVE dps.

Going with an 8/8/25 PVE dps assault build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsMZfGbbzGhM.1

Priority list is

Hammer shot - if ammo regen is not at max level

HIB

Incindiary round - if target not already burning from IR

Stockstrike

ion pulse

The general idea is to keep your IR dot and plasma cell dots going and pumping out HIB whenver you can. When HIB is on cooldown you get in as many SS and IP hits in the hopes it will reset HIB.

It really doesn't matter if HIB is a 'free' one from a SS/IP proc or a normal cooldown reset. Use it whenever you can.

You reapply IR every 18 seconds and you should never really have to pay attention to plasma cell dot since so many things apply/reset it. With these 'burning' dots going, all HIB hits will refund one ammo.

Since stockstrike has a cooldown use it when you can in the hopes it'll reset HIB. if it's on cooldown use ion pulse for dps and the hopes it will reset HIB.

You use hammer shot when regen is not at max level to avoid going into ammo deficit. Although i guess if recharge cells is available you can go nuts with Ion pulse until you're down to 1/3 ammo and then pop recharge cells.

So... am i doing it right or am i missing something?

Edited by Spifff

I like putting Pulse Cannon into my single target rotations- I'll frequently open with Ion Pulse close. Then it's HIB, and you start the "opportunity" part of the rotation- Stockstrike (+HIB on proc), Ion Pulse (+HIB on proc)- and I fire off a Pulse Cannon at that point if I haven't gotten a HIB proc to refund ammo. Stockstrike should be back up after that (if not, Hammer Shot, then SS).

The more HIB procs off Accelerator, the more you naturally cycle Pulse/SS to keep the best damage coming- and those should have priority if you have your ammo in good shape. If both SS and IP whiff on a proc, I usually cycle Pulse Cannon to "cool down" and give myself some recharge back with a long-casting ability (that doesn't get stuffed like Full Auto can).

Of course, you can always start further out with Inc. Round -> HIB, but I hate chewing up the ammo for IR when I don't have to, and I like having my energy boost abilities for when and if I have truly cruddy luck with my HIB procs and I want to keep pressing a target without resorting to much use of Hammer Shot.

I guess I just have bad luck. The other night doing EV I could hit stockstrike and spam ion pulse until SS was ready again and not process a reset on my HIB.

At least I'm not way off base. Thanks

Oh right. If you're in an operation how the hell do you identify *you're* incendiary round dot on the boss from everyone else's dots/rebuffs?