The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Starting a New Class

Hey I hope I placed this in the right forum. I am currently playing a sith assassin but I really want to try a republic character. Since I am currently a DPS character I figured healing or tanking would be fun to try. So onto the questions. First is how does the trooper handle as a healer and or tank, is there a role they are better at? Also how is the story line, I really like the idea of a non force using character, but some web reviews have said the story is lacking. Any suggestions on what alliance character to play or what kind of trooper to be? Edited by namakemonosan

Hey I hope I placed this in the right forum. I am currently playing a sith assassin but I really want to try a republic character. Since I am currently a DPS character I figured healing or tanking would be fun to try. So onto the questions. First is how does the trooper handle as a healer and or tank, is there a role they are better at? Also how is the story line, I really like the idea of a non force using character, but some web reviews have said the story is lacking. Any suggestions on what alliance character to play or what kind of trooper to be?

Close. Vanguard's are the AC for Troopers- we're the Tank/DPS talented types.

For us, it's a bit of a reverse from a force-using class. Instead of using moves that generate power for our other attacks, everything we do depletes our ammo bar- which regenerates more slowly the lower it gets. That being said, we tend to have fun doing it, even if we're not spamming away with Strikes and suchlike. Good Troopers tend to have rotations that vary depending on whether we need sustained (and hence keeping our ammo bar high) or bursts of effects (which will leave a Trooper often down to spamming our no-ammo attack, Hammer Shot for a bit).

For a tank, the sticky at the top of the Vanguard forum is excellent reading. For a healer, you're looking at the Commando AC for troopers- and there's also good reading to be had there along the same lines. Vanguard "true" tanks are Shield talented mostly- in-your-face types. Our other trees can do some decent defense work but have to rely on some tricks as they're more DPS talented with some defensive abilities all Vanguards have in common- which does mean at times they end up secondary or off-tanks on big fights, and can soak up a respectable amount of punishment even in regular PvE.

We're actually a pretty broad variety of stuff, and it does mean many Troopers respec from time to time to see the sights, and hybrid builds are very common both for PvP and PvE play.