Guild Summit: Mac users better really want it...

RuQu

This question was brought up a lot during the livestreamed Q&A but was not addressed (which I suppose makes sense, as the devs who were there focused on TFB and F2P), however it seems that a lot of people, myself included, are still interested as to a status update on this. Can the devs reveal anything more at this point?

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question was brought up a lot during the livestreamed Q&A but was not addressed (which I suppose makes sense, as the devs who were there focused on TFB and F2P), however it seems that a lot of people, myself included, are still interested as to a status update on this. Can the devs reveal anything more at this point?

They can't get a hood toggle to work since the game has launched, so I doubt they're going to make a version to run on the Mac in the forseeable future.

I've had a number of friends say they can't/won't play SWTOR because there's no native Mac client. They're shooting themselves in the foot not creating a Mac client, especially since PC is no longer the predominant computer platform.

This point was hammered more times than I can recall during Beta, and the Devs/PMs just shrugged it off. Well I bet those same people are wishing they had a native Mac client now!

People can't hate on Blizzard all they want, but there are reasons why WoW is the best selling MMO of all time. Purposely not excluding half of your potential customer base is one of those reasons.

And judging by the subscription numbers, serious gamers don't play SWTOR either!

/wakka wakka

Touche :p

To think that BW would spend the money to port this game to the mac to attract maybe a few hundred "gamers" is the ultimate in inflated ego. Typical of most mac users in my experience.

What, lol?

This must be an example of what Serbegorn was talking about.

Yup, it's quite an ego isn't it?

PC's have dwindled a bit but apple still has a loooooooong way to go.

http://thesmallwave.com/2012/01/16/apple-vs-pc-shipments-pc-decline-worse-than-reported/

P.S. What's the difference between a hipster and a homeless person? The iPhone. Badumdum.

Edited by Serbegorn

I Don't understand those Mac vs PS. Now Mac is a PC, Mac is running on exactly same hardware as PC.

Current Mac OS is reverse engineered Linux. You can install current Mac OS on any PC, hardware is identical.

When Apple was making G series Power Macs (and prior), then all was different., G series had no compatibility with PC.

This for an example: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

processors One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor <--- It is Intel Xeon W3565, nearly 3 years old processor. http://ark.intel.com/products/39721/Intel-Xeon-Processor-W3565-(8M-Cache-3_20-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI)

6GB (three 2GB) memory

1TB hard drive1

18x SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5

For only 2499$, you gotta be kidding, out dated quad core Xenon with Radeon 5770. 2 generations old video card.

Current Radeons are 7970 and slower version 7950.

Here is the comparison for you, 7970 vs 5770: http://www.hwcompare.com/11343/radeon-hd-5770-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

And here is the comparison of Intel Xeon W3565 vs i7-2600K: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+W3565+%40+3.20GHz

7970 is over 3 times faster than 5770, not to mention that I7-2600K beats crap out of 3 years old Xenon

Happy Bootcamping and lagging. :rolleyes:

Remember, if you boot to Windows via Bootcamp, then you running Windows on native mode. Bootcamp is boot manager and nothing else. It just set Windows partition active that you could boot up in to Windows.

I can't believe, true and blind believers. Are you happy being ripped off?

2500$ for 3 years old hardware, LMAO...

Edited by Chaffery

I've had a number of friends say they can't/won't play SWTOR because there's no native Mac client. They're shooting themselves in the foot not creating a Mac client, especially since PC is no longer the predominant computer platform.

If you own a mac and want to play games just get bootcamp, it's simple really. Why should they waste their time and effort building a mac client for the few people that even game on their mac....they are not "shooting themselves in the foot" as you said.

Apple's market share is around 12% if you don't include iPads, 25% "ish" if you include them. I know that it stinks for Mac users but it is understood by most when they buy Mac that they aren't going to get most of the games that PC folks will get...hence bootcamp. This is the solution, it just has to be something that Mac users "deal with".

There are advantages to Mac and PC's. I am an IT manager that oversees purchasing, deployment, and repair of thousands of computers (Macs and PCs) and can tell you without a doubt that the failure rate on our Macs is almost identical to the failure rate of our PCs. The only difference is that the PCs are much easier to work on. This, "Macs last longer" is just opinion that has grown some serious legs without merit.

Edited by Hyryu

• 7 months later...

Just in case this thread is still used to measure interest, I hereby vote "yay" for a Mac version of the game.

I'll kindly refrain from entering into the holy war of Mac vs. PC except to say this: No one here is going to convince anyone else here of anything discussed here. You are wasting your time and spinning your wheels. Save your great arguments for when someone comes to you in an undecided state and your diatribes for when someone truly insults you; don't waste your keyboard talking at a proverbial wall.

Did I mention I vote yes?

Just checking...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.