The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Destruction Warlock = Advanced Prototype/Firebug?

Qonor

Hi. I'm researching a class to suggest to my brother (who does not yet own the game) and want to know how similar the Advanced Prototype and/or Firebug playstyles are to the World of Warcraft Destruction Warlock. I am specifically not suggesting a Mercenary, because he does not want a class that has even the remote possibility of healing. And he does like tanking as an off-spec. Also, the group we'll be running with already has an Inquisitor Assassin (me) and an Operative Medic. Thanks. Edited by Qonor

Is your grain of salt ready? I play a Pyrotech (just before launch they changed it from firebug) Merc when I'm not healing, so there are lots of similarities (Pyrotech is the shared tree).

Pyrotech on my merc feels like a Demo warlock without the Felguard (more like playing with the Felhunter). You're relying on the DoT's, and the Nuke in between is okay, but not stellar (as a Merc, I'm using Power Shot, which the Powertech wouldn't have).

Basically, Mercs are using Power Shot and Unload. PT's are substituting Flame Burst and Rocket Punch to do the same things. Also Flame Burst giving guaranteed Cylinder Proc is great. I'd love to have that on my Merc because opening up with Power shot + Incendiary usually requires that I keep attacking (until I get a cylinder proc) before my first Rail Shot so that I can take full advantage of the benefits I get (renewing the Cylinder effect, getting the vented heat, etc).

A Lightning tree sorc would probably be closer to a Destro lock. If Pyrotech had a nuke like Incinerate, I'd say yes. Advanced Prototype is almost Death Knightish because it's all close-combat (Rocket Punch + Retractable Blade). A Madness Sorcerer plays more like a Shadow Priest. Of course sorcs are out since they could technically heal...

Edited by GenXCub

Is your grain of salt ready? I play a Pyrotech (just before launch they changed it from firebug) Merc when I'm not healing, so there are lots of similarities (Pyrotech is the shared tree).

Pyrotech on my merc feels like a Demo warlock without the Felguard (more like playing with the Felhunter). You're relying on the DoT's, and the Nuke in between is okay, but not stellar (as a Merc, I'm using Power Shot, which the Powertech wouldn't have).

Basically, Mercs are using Power Shot and Unload. PT's are substituting Flame Burst and Rocket Punch to do the same things. Also Flame Burst giving guaranteed Cylinder Proc is great. I'd love to have that on my Merc because opening up with Power shot + Incendiary usually requires that I keep attacking (until I get a cylinder proc) before my first Rail Shot so that I can take full advantage of the benefits I get (renewing the Cylinder effect, getting the vented heat, etc).

A Lightning tree sorc would probably be closer to a Destro lock. If Pyrotech had a nuke like Incinerate, I'd say yes. Advanced Prototype is almost Death Knightish because it's all close-combat (Rocket Punch + Retractable Blade). A Madness Sorcerer plays more like a Shadow Priest. Of course sorcs are out since they could technically heal...

Very useful info. Thanks. How squishy is the class (as dps)? I notice they wear heavy armor.

And Pyrotech does sound better than Firebug. Good change on BioWare's part!

Edited by Qonor

The heavy armor is very useful, not to mention you get Energy Shield (25% less damage for 12 seconds on 2m cooldown). Keep in mind that you can also equip a shield, but without being in the "tank stance" it only has a 5% chance to proc (for Powertechs, the Cylinder you use is the equiv. to WoW stances, Pyrotechs use one that puts a burning DoT, Advanced Prototype has Armor Pen, and Shield Tech has one that gives +armor, +threat, and 15% more chance to shield)

Back to the original question, take a look at the Sniper talents. Snipers can function like a warlock as well. Engineering tree is DoT-Heavy, Marksman is more nuke-y (but all agents get at least one DoT), and Lethality is AoE-DoT + nuke. You might find the sniper to be more Destro-Lock than a Bounty Hunter is.

The heavy armor is very useful, not to mention you get Energy Shield (25% less damage for 12 seconds on 2m cooldown). Keep in mind that you can also equip a shield, but without being in the "tank stance" it only has a 5% chance to proc (for Powertechs, the Cylinder you use is the equiv. to WoW stances, Pyrotechs use one that puts a burning DoT, Advanced Prototype has Armor Pen, and Shield Tech has one that gives +armor, +threat, and 15% more chance to shield)

Back to the original question, take a look at the Sniper talents. Snipers can function like a warlock as well. Engineering tree is DoT-Heavy, Marksman is more nuke-y (but all agents get at least one DoT), and Lethality is AoE-DoT + nuke. You might find the sniper to be more Destro-Lock than a Bounty Hunter is.

Interesting, thanks! After all this, he's deciding to go with a Sith Warrior - Marauder / Jedi Knight - Sentinel. Haha, go figure.